• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

Didn't he start at Saints as a 7?

So have everyman and his dog since Long left.

With the Aussie scrum half being injured at the moment,you'd think that playing Lomax at 7 would be more dangerous than playing Wellens at 7

#42 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Zak Hardaker was nowhere on Friday night.  He was immobilised by Wellens.  If Wellens can keep him quiet, what hope has he against Australia?

considering wellens was playing scrum half he didn't match up to hardaker at full back

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#43 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

Wellens didn't really play 7 on Friday.  He played the Wellens position!  Lomax played 7 in attack and 1 in defence.  Lomax, Hohaia and Robes ran the show.

#44 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

Didn't he start at Saints as a 7?

Nah.  He started as a 6.  He played 6 during his junior career as well.  He's played a few positions at Saints with varying degrees of success: wing, centre, both halves and fullback.  He was given the 7 role originally in 2011 with Gaskell as we had no halfbacks due to the long term injuries to Eastmond and Pryce at the time.  He then took on the shirt for himself when Eastmond left.  He's very quiet and so has found the organisational side of the game difficult.  His kicking game is also erratic and post 2013, when he struggled with a hamstring injury, he hasn't really featured much in kicking duties.  Whether he could take on a greater role in bossing the team as he grows older/more confident I don't know but he's more of a free spirit on the pitch and that's what he prefers as a player so fwiw I think either 6 or fullback are the ideal roles for him.

#45 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

There are some very forgiving folk on here. Hardaker had an opportunity in the World Cup that all of us would have dreamed of and threw it away by acting like a complete helmet. For that reason alone I wouldn't let him anywhere near a shirt until he's proved he's got his head screwed on. I rather suspect many of these Leeds fans weren't quite so quick to offer Long or Hock a second chance, and rightly not.

He's on a final warning,he was ordered to forfeit his holiday and go straight back into training.He does seem to have knuckled down and when all the speculation about his future was going on about wether Leeds would dismiss him there were fans of certain other clubs licking their lips saying "we'll have him" He is still on quite a long contract but I have heard that he stopped talks on a new extension.So there is hope for the circling vultures, but if he doesn't stay it'll be NRL I think.Leeds have sacked good players in the past a GF winner too,but not this time .They were not going to improve another team because of a stupidity of a talented big daft lad

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#46 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

England weren't far off playing a World cup final. That's an understatement, they couild have rightfully been a serious challenge to the Aussies, in retrospect taking into account the problems the Kiwis made for themselves with their ' recovery' practices I wish England had been there.

Based on the last world cup I wouldn't be looking to change much if anything from the World cup semi final team. That would see Widdop retain his starting spot too.

The incumbent fullback is having an NRL baptism by fire. If he gets through being targeted in the fashion he has been ( with a lot more targeting to come ) you'd be assured of different Sam Tomkins at the back for England.

So give it time , all questions will be answered in the cauldron of the NRL , if Tomkins struggles in the fullback position here , you'd be getting him back in all likelyhood as a number six ( again ). 

Tomkins will go head to head with Kevin Locke for the Number one jersey at the Warriors sometime this season. Locke was out of form pre Tomkins arival ( he has a partial ACL tear at the moment ).

Most expect Locke will put up a good fight for the Jersey when the time comes. Lockes contract expires this seasons end. 

As in the case of the Enlgand team....Sam Tomkins is never not going to make the starting 13 in either position, he's a good problem to have. 

Sam looks better playing up in the Warriors three quarter line than both our halves.

#47 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

He's on a final warning,he was ordered to forfeit his holiday and go straight back into training.He does seem to have knuckled down and when all the speculation about his future was going on about wether Leeds would dismiss him there were fans of certain other clubs licking their lips saying "we'll have him" He is still on quite a long contract but I have heard that he stopped talks on a new extension.So there is hope for the circling vultures, but if he doesn't stay it'll be NRL I think.Leeds have sacked good players in the past a GF winner too,but not this time .They were not going to improve another team because of a stupidity of a talented big daft lad

This thread's about England, not Leeds. Obviously Leeds would be daft to get rid.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#48 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:46 AM

This thread's about England, not Leeds. Obviously Leeds would be daft to get rid.

I did state that I think Tomkins right now should be number one fullback and I think Hardaker was punished accordingly he also got a hefty fine and I also think he will be overlooked by England for awhile no matter how well he is playing.I was very angry at the time because all the RL fans did their bit I flew 3400 miles and they couldn't discipline themselves for four weeks.

The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#49 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

What did Hardaker do to have a poor game on Friday, you know, just out of curiosity? He made 144m, didn't miss a tackle, looked dangerous chiming in. Saints took him out of the game on kick returns by kicking dead a lot! If that's what people are on about, really?

As for the full back, Tomkins is still the more suited for me but Hardaker isnt far behind him now.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#50 The Scott

The Scott
  • Banned
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

What did Hardaker do to have a poor game on Friday, you know, just out of curiosity? He made 144m, didn't miss a tackle, looked dangerous chiming in. Saints took him out of the game on kick returns by kicking dead a lot! If that's what people are on about, really?

As for the full back, Tomkins is still the more suited for me but Hardaker isnt far behind him now.

Saints didnt kick dead a lot at all. They kicked at Briscoe a lot in the first half and mixed it up more in the second. Hardaker was clearly targeted when he had the ball. He got hammered with a couple of big shots, especially early.

Hardaker is a decent player but he's very one dimensional. Easy to defend for a good defence. Nowhere near Tomkins or Lomax. Miles behind.

#51 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Lomax plays at full back in defence because he has Wellens organising him to organise the team. In attack he was playing as a half back. Hardaker is an out and out full back, playing against Saints the Saints defence was the winner not Saints attacking acumen. wellens plays where he wants and everyone falls into line behind him. He would be a bigger loss to that side than Walsh. Leeds should have won that match on yardage and completed sets alone. Wellens stepped up and played daddy to the kids at Saints, the way Cunningham would in the past.

We only have two natural structured world class full backs and that's Tomkins and Hardaker. The rest are playing catch up. In the past I would have considered Lomax next to Widdop in the halves for England but with that prat of a coaches ideas at Saints Lomax will no doubt become either a hooker or a make shift prop !!!!!!

Lomax as a half back is so obvious its unreal. His skills are enormous and his organisation skills are there for all to see. Not a full back, possible future England captain, with Widdop a great organiser also possibly future England captain. Interesting times!

#52 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

Lomax plays at full back in defence because he has Wellens organising him to organise the team. In attack he was playing as a half back.

That is because we were missing Luke Walsh.

#53 The Scott

The Scott
  • Banned
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

Lomax plays at full back in defence because he has Wellens organising him to organise the team. In attack he was playing as a half back. Hardaker is an out and out full back, playing against Saints the Saints defence was the winner not Saints attacking acumen. wellens plays where he wants and everyone falls into line behind him. He would be a bigger loss to that side than Walsh. Leeds should have won that match on yardage and completed sets alone. Wellens stepped up and played daddy to the kids at Saints, the way Cunningham would in the past.

Wellens is essentially a utility player that fills in where needed. His primary position at Saints this season is the bench. Lomax has played 3rd receiver in attack all season as well. He only changed against Leeds due to the lack of any scrum half. The idea that Wellens would be a bigger loss than Walsh is ridiculous..

We only have two natural structured world class full backs and that's Tomkins and Hardaker. The rest are playing catch up. In the past I would have considered Lomax next to Widdop in the halves for England but with that prat of a coaches ideas at Saints Lomax will no doubt become either a hooker or a make shift prop !!!!!!

Lomax isn't a half in the memory of man as his two year stint there proved when he did little more than play inside balls and drop offs. He's the best full back in this country because of his ability both as a runner and as a passer. Hardaker isn't. He has one threat and that's running. Saints killed that by nailing him early. Consequently, he'd have been as useful on the bench. Saints targeted Leeds' back three, it was clear and a huge part of their threat was nullified off the back of it.

Lomax as a half back is so obvious its unreal. His skills are enormous and his organisation skills are there for all to see. Not a full back, possible future England captain, with Widdop a great organiser also possibly future England captain. Interesting times!

Lomax is a full back. That's so obvious it's unreal. His 'obvious' half back ability has already been demonstrated when he couldn't play it. He has no long kicking game for a start, hence why he's never a kicking option for Saints.. His organisational abilities have come on immensely though.

Edited by The Scott, 03 April 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#54 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

We could do a lot worse than consider Sam in the halves with Widdop, and Hardaker (or whoever) at 1.

I'd play Lomax in the halves with Widdop and Sam at fullback, either way it would gives us room for switching players about and keeping the opposition guessing

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#55 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Wellens is essentially a utility player that fills in where needed. His primary position at Saints this season is the bench. Lomax has played 3rd receiver in attack all season as well. He only changed against Leeds due to the lack of any scrum half. The idea that Wellens would be a bigger loss than Walsh is ridiculous..

Lomax isn't a half in the memory of man as his two year stint there proved when he did little more than play inside balls and drop offs. He's the best full back in this country because of his ability both as a runner and as a passer. Hardaker isn't. He has one threat and that's running. Saints killed that by nailing him early. Consequently, he'd have been as useful on the bench. Saints targeted Leeds' back three, it was clear and a huge part of their threat was nullified off the back of it.

Lomax is a full back. That's so obvious it's unreal. His 'obvious' half back ability has already been demonstrated when he couldn't play it. He has no long kicking game for a start, hence why he's never a kicking option for Saints.. His organisational abilities have come on immensely though.

Spot on.

#56 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

Richie Mathers.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#57 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

We only have two natural structured world class full backs and that's Tomkins and Hardaker.

I'll give you Tomkins as world class but mentioning Hardaker and World class in the same sentence is just silly Willy

#58 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

I'll give you Tomkins as world class but mentioning Hardaker and World class in the same sentence is just silly Willy

World class is a big claim to make about any player.I would have Tomkins as first selection fullback and he certainly looks World class.I am interested to see how a full NRL season looks on him
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#59 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

Richie Mathers.

Leeds had the best out of Mathers before his unfortunate injuries
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#60 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:17 AM

Can I just say (whilst you're all only looking at the two "big clubs"), Jamie Shaul is still in outstanding form and reminds me a lot of the Tomkins "X-Factor" kind of player. Makes breaks from nowhere!

Gets better every week this kid. Reckon he could be there one year.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users