Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Never forget that England is, at heart, a progressive nation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#1 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

As is, of course, Wales.

For the first time in history, same sex couples will be able to make the ultimate commitment to each other. To all those who will take advantage of the new equal marriage legislation tomorrow, and in the future, CONGRATULATIONS!

And well done to all who helped make it possible; Scotland will be there soon.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#2 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:54 PM

Absoutely, congratulations to all the couples who can now get married because they love each other.

LUNEW.jpg

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

I don't, and never have, understood the big push for gays to get married. Have they all suddenly started believing in god and now want approval or something?

NB I have been with my other half since 1986, have 3 kids and we aren't married. I couldn't care less what I *should* have done but hey, I am a rule breaker ;)

#4 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 898 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:35 AM

As is, of course, Wales.

For the first time in history, same sex couples will be able to make the ultimate commitment to each other. To all those who will take advantage of the new equal marriage legislation tomorrow, and in the future, CONGRATULATIONS!

And well done to all who helped make it possible; Scotland will be there soon.

Where are NI on this issue ?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,433 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

The Catholics and Protestants are still arguing about which one of them is going to be for gay marriage and which one is going to be against it. They've agreed to have talks about having talks. Theresa May is due to fly in next week for the photo-opportunity.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

I don't know what the fuss is about, me and the missus have been in a same sex marriage for nigh on 20 years. The sex has always been the same.

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,287 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

The Catholics and Protestants are still arguing about which one of them is going to be for gay marriage and which one is going to be against it. They've agreed to have talks about having talks. Theresa May is due to fly in next week for the photo-opportunity.

Sinn Fein are in favour as they are a leftist party. The SDLP are a party of conservative religious minded Catholics and are against it as are the unionists.

#8 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,857 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

An article on this topic from Brian Sewell.

http://www.telegraph...y-marriage.html

#9 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

I don't, and never have, understood the big push for gays to get married. Have they all suddenly started believing in god and now want approval or something?

NB I have been with my other half since 1986, have 3 kids and we aren't married. I couldn't care less what I *should* have done but hey, I am a rule breaker ;)

Since when was marriage about anything about god? 

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

Since when was marriage about anything about god?

Since it is a religious ceremony maybe?

#11 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

And when and where was that?

The fact is, you don't really know, do you. But don't let anyone from voicing your ill informed opinion.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#12 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

The 'big push' for equal marriage has come from people who were previously denied the right previously. I don't think there has been a mass conversion to a belief in God, but then God isn't really the issue. There are planty of people who have no religious faith who are married, or are in favour of marriage.

Why the big push at this time? Well, I suppose if you've been campaigning for de-criminalisation, equal employment and pension rights, parity with the heterosexual age of consent, and against homophobic bullying, violence and legislation, marriage rights have to wait their turn.

I am a great believer in marriage for a number of reasons, but I understand that not all  people share that belief. I know plenty of people who have stable and successful relationships, with and without children, and their choice is as valid as mine. The point here is that people are no longer denied the opportunity to marry solely because the person they love and want to commit to is of the same sex.

#13 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

And before we know it the Irish have new 'excuse' to kill each other.

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

Marriage hasn't been religious for about 150 years.  There was a spell when it was entirely religious - during this time most people did not get married.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,287 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

The people I feel sorry for are those who shelled out for a civil partnership ceremony who will now get earache from their partner until they get "properly married".

Or is it only heterosexual relationships that run that way?

#16 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

Marriage hasn't been religious for about 150 years. There was a spell when it was entirely religious - during this time most people did not get married.

And don't forget originally it had nothing to do with religion, but rather alliances and property.

#17 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

I genuinely feel sorry for those that do not even realise that their objections really come down to homophobia. The main objection is basically a semantic argument over the word 'marriage.' In reality many of them think that this will somehow lead to more homosexuals which they don't want. 

It is often religious people that are so against gay marriage which some people think makes it OK. However, when you see how clear Jesus was about the issue of divorce and how little they campaign about that, this argument falls apart. The majority of Christians in this country are in churches which allow divorce. What exactly is it about this specific issue of marriage that they take such a firm stance against? 

It's like they suspend their logic when it comes to this issue. On Question Time there was a woman from Christian Voices who started on about how their voice has been ignored despite a petition of 600k people. Firstly, they would only be classed as having listened to them if they gave in to them and secondly that amount of people isn't even 2% of the population. 

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,302 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Marriage isn't a word.

.Its a sentence.

#19 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

An article on this topic from Brian Sewell.

http://www.telegraph...y-marriage.html

And another from Simon Callow.

link

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

And when and where was that?
The fact is, you don't really know, do you. But don't let anyone from voicing your ill informed opinion.

I like it. I am ill informed because a troll on TRL says so. I don't need anyone to stamp my gay friendly credentials because I had them stamped many years ago - ask anyone. If you like, I will go out of my way to prove how gay friendly I am by mindlessly agreeing with any issue. Because as you know all homosexual people have little else to do besides wander round the house all day watching Larry Grayson.