Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Attendance at Hull FC v Salford last night.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Announced as 9,821, breaking a run of 97 successive 10,000+ SL gates at the KC Stadium stretching back to 2006.

Sad it came to an end but still a very impressive run of crowds considering the lack of real SL success for Hull FC over recent times.

Edited by Old Frightful, 29 March 2014 - 10:08 AM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#2 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

I don't think Pearson will be happy with the steady decline in attendance and the pressure will be on the team to improve. Hull's lacklustre performances of late have certainly put a few off. There's the added difficulty of Hull City being at Wembley for the Cup semi-finals, and potentially for the final, with some of the floating supporters perhaps choosing to save up for the excitement of that.

With all the merchandise offers that FC have at the moment, I'd also wager that retail sales are disappointing.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

A fair few crowds seem to be down at the moment, would be good to see some sort of push.

#4 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Hangover from WC? People paid a lot for tickets and some did this rather than buy their usual season ticket

#5 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hangover from WC? People paid a lot for tickets and some did this rather than buy their usual season ticket

Any excuse. The fact is, SL has come to a halt. In fact, it's future is untenable now that the RFL are running the show.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Any excuse. The fact is, SL has come to a halt. In fact, it's future is untenable now that the RFL are running the show.

aye it was better when the other lot were running the shoe. Who were they again?

#7 Jbb10

Jbb10
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

Most super league clubs get decent crowds except for London and Wakefield am I right in saying that ?

#8 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

I don't think there is any real correlation between international crowds and club crowds. The international game raises the profile of the sport and can impact on participation etc. But a 12 year-old watching the world cup in Exeter or Norwich or Coventry is not going to be drawn to clubs along the M62. This is where our club geography plays against us. They may look for a local amateur club to play at, however.

#9 WakefieldCityLoyal

WakefieldCityLoyal
  • Coach
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Most super league clubs get decent crowds except for London and Wakefield am I right in saying that ?

No

#10 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Let's be honest with ourselves, crowds as a whole have been declining for a couple of years now. Last year's were certainly down as proven by the RLFans attendance sadist. 

I don't think the WC or the format changes actually have anything to do with it. A lot of clubs have all seen huge spikes in attendance in a short space of time and it's no surprise that they have subsequently fallen. Think about it, Hull, Wakey, Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Wire, Huddersfield even Leeds all saw crowds go up massively, doubling in some cases. In 2005 I was at a Leeds-Widnes game with over 17,000 at it, they rarely get that for anybody now. 

Also there has been a SL fatigue that has set in especially as the much desired levelling out of the competition hasn't really happened. With the top 8 as well, the early rounds seem to matter less and less.

It's not all doom and gloom though and we're still historically high. The problem is if people start seeing it as a crisis and as proof of the sports decline, which let's face it will inevitably happen. 

#11 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,171 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

There's a spread from a couple of thousand bottom to 15,000 top.

The successful clubs post Bradford i.e. Wigan, Saints,  Wire, Leeds and Hull (arguably with Wembley and Old Trafford appearances) averaged 12468 in 2006 and averaged 12488 2013.

Outside that the other clubs are a bit up and down depending on various crises that depress crowds and free/discounted ticket initiatives that revive them.

All pretty much flatlining, we have a decent audience compared to pre-SL days. Don't think the game will either die, or take off across the country. It's a matter of making the best of what we have and balancing the books.

I like the Hull analysis of frustration over poor performances and the distraction of Hull City. Seems fair as does the idea "structures" won't make much difference across the board.

#12 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Not trolling but does anyone think there was over 10k when they played Catalans on Sky the first game of the season it looked very sparce

#13 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Not trolling but does anyone think there was over 10k when they played Catalans on Sky the first game of the season it looked very sparce

Not trolling but ..........

#14 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Of course, that makes perfect sense.

Unless things have changed, under the tenancy agreement, Hull FC keep the gate receipts for the first 7,500 through the turnstiles but have to split the rest of any crowds bigger than this with the SMC..

So they're bound to say there's more in the ground than there actually is aren't they?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#15 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

They did declare 10,200 ish then later revise the gate to 11,400

so go figure

#16 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Let's be honest with ourselves, crowds as a whole have been declining for a couple of years now. Last year's were certainly down as proven by the RLFans attendance sadist. 

I don't think the WC or the format changes actually have anything to do with it. A lot of clubs have all seen huge spikes in attendance in a short space of time and it's no surprise that they have subsequently fallen. Think about it, Hull, Wakey, Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Wire, Huddersfield even Leeds all saw crowds go up massively, doubling in some cases. In 2005 I was at a Leeds-Widnes game with over 17,000 at it, they rarely get that for anybody now. 

Also there has been a SL fatigue that has set in especially as the much desired levelling out of the competition hasn't really happened. With the top 8 as well, the early rounds seem to matter less and less.

It's not all doom and gloom though and we're still historically high. The problem is if people start seeing it as a crisis and as proof of the sports decline, which let's face it will inevitably happen.

It won't inevitibly happen.
I recall your many "too good to be true" posts prior to the World Cup, and then your subsequent silence as the tournament unfolded. What was "inevitible" then didn't happen either.

#17 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:31 PM

playing Friday nights when live game on sky isn't a good idea either

Chief Crazy Eagle

#18 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

They did declare 10,200 ish then later revise the gate to 11,400

so go figure

I don't think the 11,400 figure came from the club. Friday's programme and the club's website still have the figure of 10,178 declared at the time. News agencies often seem to get hold of the wrong numbers where attendances are concerned.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#19 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

It won't inevitibly happen.
I recall your many "too good to be true" posts prior to the World Cup, and then your subsequent silence as the tournament unfolded. What was "inevitible" then didn't happen either.

Pathetic snide little attack that totally misrepresents everything I ever said.

That's not what happened at all, I never said it was too good to be true at all, I expressed caution about some of the crowds being predicted based on prior experience. I actually ended up being right as it turned out, my prediction for the opening Cardiff game being something like 3000 out compared to wild estimates of sellouts an most estimates of 60k plus.

It wouldn't take too much of a look to see that I didn't go away anymore than I have since but when I did post I was extremely positive about the event.

As for the post if you'd read it without your preconceived notions you'd have realised that I was saying the doom and gloom merchants would be inevitable not the games demise.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 30 March 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#20 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

http://www.thereddev...traveltohullfc/

Hmmm.....Dr Marwans massed Hoards of Devils didn't make the trip on Friday...what odds 6 days later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users