Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Attendance at Hull FC v Salford last night.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#41 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

For me, the question that arises from this is why is the home team in a cup match allowed to dictate not only where the game should be played, but when too? Is home advantage not enough? Suppose, for the sake of argument, Hull's previous SL match had been on the Thursday and Salford's on the Sunday. Could Hull, as the home club, decide the cup game should be played the following Thursday, giving them three days more recovery time than Salford? Sounds a bit unfair to me.

Edited by Red John, 02 April 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#42 brooza

brooza
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

Let this go without comment and it will become a common option.

Have you commented to anyone that actually has anything to do with the decision?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#43 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,648 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

Hull FC wanted to play the game Friday but as it wasn't a prearranged fixture the SMC (Hull Tigers) had the right to turn rhis down. This left Thursday or Sunday so Hull chose Thursday because of the longer break for the players.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#44 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Time to get your own stadium perhaps. Plan for the future, as tenants to a hostile Premier League team you need to get off your knees.

If it is ok to play prearranged games on a Friday why are the SMC objecting to this low key game.

Where do the club stand if they scrape into the play offs?

#45 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

While I do think Thursday is a bad choice, it is now a fairly regular day for fixtures so I think we will just have to grin and bear it.

It does mean that the crowd will be low and that will start a flurry of comments about low crowds for the CC, Salford and/or Hull FC. I can live with that.

To my FC supporting mates, I wish I could be there, but it is just a bit too far (OF) on a weekday night. The mighty Red Devils will still win, even without my support. ;)

Edited by tonyXIII, 02 April 2014 - 01:19 PM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#46 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

I beg to differ!

Thursday is not now a fairly regular day for fixtures, it is an invention for tv but at least then fans of either side can watch it at home.

If we just bear and grin it this could become the thin end of the wedge....the Hull FC management should betold how we feel and more importantly the RFL should grow a pair and stop this gerrymandering!

Just hope Salford win and Huddersfield overcome their tiredness and do the business next Thursday. Then Hull will not have any further chances to abuse the fans of the game this season.

What thinks you OF, Ullman, Wellsy?

#47 brooza

brooza
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Just out of curiosity, stevereed100, who do you support?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#48 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

The case for the prosecution rests!  :rtfm:

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#49 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Rervers.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#50 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

You got there b4 me!

I am still upset about the principles involved but admit to the fact that I can have a go at RFL management and Hull FC management....not their fans...and have a dig about their lack of a ground....should never have been allowed into Superleague under franchising!....should be a requirement to control usage of your pitch...

As an ex Hull FC first team player I believe I am free of bias .....somebody has to campaign for the supporters of the game, after all that is why matches are played.

Duck!

#51 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,648 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

As an ex Hull FC first team player I believe I am free of bias

I believe you are on drugs.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#52 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

Duck!

Yer quackers!  ;)

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#53 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

I beg to differ!

Thursday is not now a fairly regular day for fixtures, it is an invention for tv but at least then fans of either side can watch it at home.

If we just bear and grin it this could become the thin end of the wedge....the Hull FC management should betold how we feel and more importantly the RFL should grow a pair and stop this gerrymandering!

Just hope Salford win and Huddersfield overcome their tiredness and do the business next Thursday. Then Hull will not have any further chances to abuse the fans of the game this season.

What thinks you OF, Ullman, Wellsy?

Since you ask, I love the Thursday night games, whether live or on TV. I don't work Fridays.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#54 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

Nice one OF but be advised don't go "tonight".

Wellsy....Because nobody knows why hasnt somebody asked the club, seems like something the fans should be told.

Boycott the game tomorrow!

Why should I boycott the game because you have a problem with it being on a Thursday?

I live a 5 minute walk from the stadium. I'm also busy all weekend. Thursday allows me to get to the game, so quite frankly I'm pretty chuffed it's on Thursday!
Posted Image

#55 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

You got there b4 me!

I am still upset about the principles involved but admit to the fact that I can have a go at RFL management and Hull FC management....not their fans...and have a dig about their lack of a ground...should never have been allowed into Superleague under franchising!....should be a requirement to control usage of your pitch...

As an ex Hull FC first team player I believe I am free of bias .....somebody has to campaign for the supporters of the game, after all that is why matches are played.

Duck!

We have a ground. It is one of the best in the league.
You're basically saying that the league should throw out Wigan, Huddersfield, London and Hull? I wonder why...

If you want to campaign for the supporters, go ahead. What are you waiting for?

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC, 02 April 2014 - 06:49 PM.

Posted Image

#56 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

For me, the question that arises from this is why is the home team in a cup match allowed to dictate not only where the game should be played, but when too? Is home advantage not enough? Suppose, for the sake of argument, Hull's previous SL match had been on the Thursday and Salford's on the Sunday. Could Hull, as the home club, decide the cup game should be played the following Thursday, giving them three days more recovery time than Salford? Sounds a bit unfair to me.

#57 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

Steve deep breath and let it go ..... Ahhh now that feels a lot better doesn't it.

#58 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

Yep!

#59 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

I wish I could be there, but it is just a bit too far (OF) on a weekday night.  ;)

Not having a go a you personally here Tony just the common held thought that it too far to travel midweek..........this in part keeps our sport Regionalized........its only 70 or 80 miles isn't it? 

How can the game grow into newer markets when small distances are a problem for thousands of followers?

#60 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,648 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

I'd be careful when mentioning Tony's name in the same breath as fans not willing to travel distances, although I think his dashes from Greece for a RL fix may number fewer now than in recent times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users