Subsidising Youth Coaching

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Aspiring players usually dream about playing for their dream club not the one that happens to be closest.

Not true.  The Saints lads for example have all expressed a dream to play for their home town club.  In the London area that doesn't quite play out in the same way since London is many things but not a town.  However, the young lads who have been interviewed from the Broncos have all said they wanted to play for the Broncos; not the Skolars or the Stags or one of the amateur teams but the Broncos.  To them the Broncos represent the top level in club rugby league. 

#102 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

Not true.  The Saints lads for example have all expressed a dream to play for their home town club.  In the London area that doesn't quite play out in the same way since London is many things but not a town.  However, the young lads who have been interviewed from the Broncos have all said they wanted to play for the Broncos; not the Skolars or the Stags or one of the amateur teams but the Broncos.  To them the Broncos represent the top level in club rugby league. 

Academy lads are always going to say that they are loyal to their team. I don't imagine that many will say "I'm only here until I get a better offer" even if it is the truth.

#103 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Can't really add to what Pen-y Bont has said! I think Parksider it is giving youth the opportunity to play all year round  and the opportunity to represent the area and the country is obviously going to be more achievable to young players. Quite a few players cross between the WRL academy and the four RU regions at various age grades and due to the numbers involved we have been able to attract quite a few who are released and offer them the opportunity to eventually play professionally that they might not get in RU locally. I took to the game myself as I enjoyed watching the great Wigan sides of the 90s and a strongish National side at the time and quite simply enjoying the skill of the game. There is that problem that the influence of RU in Welsh society stretches far, I didn't have the opportunity of playing the game in school as it was 'not the game for us'. Many schools in the past even stopped schools having a football team through the plethora of ex International PE Teachers at many valleys Comprehensives. It is hard to promote the game when many in the Welsh press still perceive RL as a threat in Wales and hold vested interests. Certainly a a strong Wales RL side would be a big driver in promoting the game nationally, hence I was so disappointed with the sides' performance in the World Cup. 

The Conference is probably the one area that has got a little weaker granted, but the players from that have been drawn into other systems such as National Conference sides like the Hornets and the Valley Cougars who are going into Conference South this season, the academy sides and obviously the Scorpions themselves so it has been spreading the resources more thinly but across a much wider area. The conference is now run by a committee separate from the WRL similar to how the NCL is administered, so hopefully it will have the attention and effective administration it requires,  help drive up its recognition, increase playing numbers and quality and make it the competition it deserves to be. 

Cardiff Demons ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc
Cardiff Spartans ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/southcoastspartans

Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth! BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS......!

#104 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hello Parksider. I actually live in Eccles and we can't get kids to play Rugby League in Eccles let alone Wales! Just round the corner is Eccles RUFC and they seem to get money thrown at them from all directions while we can't get anything because we are a 100% Rugby League club and not multi sports. It doesn't help having Manchester United a couple of miles away either. Anyway Eccles RUFC are able to afford a full time development officer to go into schools so the only kids we get are those who are already dedicated RL fans.

As for Wales, I rarely missed Celtic Crusaders games even though it was a 430 mile round trip. I used to stay over in the Rhondda valley regularly. In my opinion, yes the sport is definitely growing in schools but at open age it still seems to be Union players giving it a go in the Union off season. I spoke to many people who think Rugby League is a great game but they are just dedicated to their Union clubs. It is ingrained in them. The future of RL in Wales is in schools now and then the open age clubs need to start taking them on after school. Incidentally Wrexham under 12's won at Eccles recently.

When Crusaders moved North I continued to travel South to watch Scorpions for a season because my friends were there, but I just could not take to the lack of atmosphere in Neath and it was a long way to go for Championship 1. I started to watch the Wrexham based club after that, where I have made many new friends and I have to say that NW Crusaders are a very well run club and they do their  bit in the community.

In the South, I am quite hopeful for the Valley Cougars making progress at open age level because I found the Valley people to be very much like Northerners and they love their sport and would turn out to watch shirts dry if they had Wales on them. If I was in charge of a RL club in the South they would play at Pontypridd, just at the bottom of the Rhondda, but I know "Ponty" were approached and turned RL down. I think the RU saw it as a threat because when Wales played there once on a Lousy (Weather wise) Friday night, when Cardiff City were on tv live, the attendance would easily rival what the RU team get for their games. 

#105 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,975 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

I'd agree with that, many aspiring kids - sorry most aspiring kids - won't make it to the senior ranks of their local club and in Leeds the aim of most of them as far as my limited experience goes is it's the Rhinos they want to play for. I wouldn't be sure however when you have championship towns, and the championship club has a junior set up whether the players dream of playing Championship?

Some will some won't I suppose but ultimately they are drawn to Superleague if they are good enough like Zac and that doesn't mean they stop at Leeds for ambition can extend to top class RU and the NRL.

So without a Superleague Broncos or Crusaders it seems to me there will be an effect of stifling ambition if there isn't a local dream to aim for, this probably is partly behind the lower numbers of junior clubs outside SL areas.

#106 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,975 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

Hello Parksider. I actually live in Eccles and we can't get kids to play Rugby League in Eccles let alone Wales! Just round the corner is Eccles RUFC and they seem to get money thrown at them from all directions while we can't get anything because we are a 100% Rugby League club and not multi sports. It doesn't help having Manchester United a couple of miles away either. Anyway Eccles RUFC are able to afford a full time development officer to go into schools so the only kids we get are those who are already dedicated RL fans.

Thank you very much for all your interesting comments, and how many people like RL but have RU "ingrained" as some sort of first love in them. Your comments on Eccles were a bit of a (welcome) surprise and I guess there are a number of parts of the so called "heartlands" that are strong Union areas simply due to the local circumstances between the competing games of Union and League.

Leeds Rhinos seem to be breaking the mould across the north of the city as they have several things to offer not least top class success. From that they can be effective in getting into the community to encourage new clubs or help existing struggling clubs to develop, All clubs need organisers and I guess more people are willing to assist where there's a vibrant RL scene going on.

I note Dr. Koukash talking of promoting the junior game in Salford/Manchester. I just wonder where you will be in Eccles with this if in 10 years time Salford return to their early seventies glories?

Edited by The Parksider, 05 April 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#107 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

In the North we have much less of the RU presence, although the Rygbi Gogledd Cymru side are developing into a strong RU team, other local RU teams are stricty amateur so RL has a great chance to succeed, particularly in North East Wales.  Since the establishment of North Wales Crusaders there are now 5 adult teams playing in the North Wales Conference, some of these teams have junior sides at different age groups. There is now a U15s Crusaders side who have entered the North West Counties league in England to get games against sides in an established RL area. NW Crusaders also have a Wheelchair RL side just about to enter into its second season and there is a well established school programme delivering RL to hundreds of school kids.

We may not be a Super League side but a lot has been achieve considering how long we have been in existence.  The next important stage is for NWC to remain in the Championship and hopefully improve our standing within the new structure next season. It is entirely possible with the new structure that we could see Super League teams playing at the Racecourse an attracting more youngsters to the game.  Always optimistic!

This shows junior development can take place at the lower tier clubs. I am sure it is easier with a SL club around simply because, in theory, they should have more money to spend but the example here of the Crusaders and the continuing growth in South Wales and Halifax junior clubs producing many SL players and Gloucester getting into the schools etc. is a testament to the fact that junior development is not the exclusive province of SL clubs and other areas can get kids involved in our game.

#108 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Can't really add to what Pen-y Bont has said! I think Parksider it is giving youth the opportunity to play all year round and the opportunity to represent the area and the country is obviously going to be more achievable to young players. Quite a few players cross between the WRL academy and the four RU regions at various age grades and due to the numbers involved we have been able to attract quite a few who are released and offer them the opportunity to eventually play professionally that they might not get in RU locally. I took to the game myself as I enjoyed watching the great Wigan sides of the 90s and a strongish National side at the time and quite simply enjoying the skill of the game. There is that problem that the influence of RU in Welsh society stretches far, I didn't have the opportunity of playing the game in school as it was 'not the game for us'. Many schools in the past even stopped schools having a football team through the plethora of ex International PE Teachers at many valleys Comprehensives. It is hard to promote the game when many in the Welsh press still perceive RL as a threat in Wales and hold vested interests. Certainly a a strong Wales RL side would be a big driver in promoting the game nationally, hence I was so disappointed with the sides' performance in the World Cup.

The Conference is probably the one area that has got a little weaker granted, but the players from that have been drawn into other systems such as National Conference sides like the Hornets and the Valley Cougars who are going into Conference South this season, the academy sides and obviously the Scorpions themselves so it has been spreading the resources more thinly but across a much wider area. The conference is now run by a committee separate from the WRL similar to how the NCL is administered, so hopefully it will have the attention and effective administration it requires, help drive up its recognition, increase playing numbers and quality and make it the competition it deserves to be.

On another note, have a number of conference / academy players made debuts for Scorpions this season?

#109 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

On another note, have a number of conference / academy players made debuts for Scorpions this season?

Yes. I think about seven in total but from last years u20 side, not this years Maesteg lot - as yet.

From Maesteg 2 have played for the full students side whilst 9 have been promoted to the u19 squad.

We are filling the gap for a SL side slightly, but we are doing what we can.

What IS clear is that in a full time environment the players can thrive. Sadly it won't be at a Welsh SL side just yet.

Edited by Pen-Y-Bont Crusader, 05 April 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#110 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

Eccles ARLFC is a 15 minute walk from the new stadium at Salford Parksider. To be honest with you Salford have not had a great reputation with local clubs for a few years but I am hopeful that will change now with the new regime. Maybe they will realise where their players start out. Adrian Morley, Ian Watson, Nathan McAvoy, Paul Smith and many, many more came through our system at Eccles. We currently have under 7's, 9's, 10's, 12's and 14's but another problem is finding people to coach, drive kids to games and cook food on match days.

#111 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,167 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Adrian Morley, Ian Watson, Nathan McAvoy, Paul Smith and many, many more came through our system at Eccles. 

But, ironically, Cliff Eccles didn't.

I'll get me coat...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#112 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,975 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Eccles ARLFC is a 15 minute walk from the new stadium at Salford Parksider. To be honest with you Salford have not had a great reputation with local clubs for a few years but I am hopeful that will change now with the new regime. Maybe they will realise where their players start out. Adrian Morley, Ian Watson, Nathan McAvoy, Paul Smith and many, many more came through our system at Eccles. We currently have under 7's, 9's, 10's, 12's and 14's but another problem is finding people to coach, drive kids to games and cook food on match days.

The best of luck to you.

Hopefully Dr.MK will directly benefit you at some point and if the Reds take off that will hopefully have an effect  on you as well in terms of more interest to play and administer......

#113 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

Wales RL will need a new coach.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/26955090

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users