Catalan Dragons Overseas Quota

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Can anyone tell me what overseas quota they have and why they still are allowed more than other clubs?

Looking at their roster, they could feasibly pick only 1 Frenchman in their starting 13 -

Webb

French Winger

Oldfield

Millard

Pomeroy

Pryce

Dureau

Lima

Henderson

Paea

Anderson

Whitehead

Taia

Now i know Pryce and Whitehead are Brits and Henderson probably qualifies through his Scottish roots but how is this good for the French game? I keep hearing about the good standard of the French youth teams - u16 and u18, yet why are so few making it through to the first team and where are the rest going?

On another topic, does anyone know if Toulouse are likely to be part of the new structure next year? I think it's essential there's some competition in France with another team.

Edited by DoubleD, 30 March 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#2 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

Escare, duport, bosc, pelssier, mounis, maria, bouquest and elima are always in mix.

#3 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

Webb have been dropped out. "French Winger" you mean Escaré, right? Or Cardace? Pala? Vaccari? 

Duport, Bosc, Barthau, Mounis, Pelissier, Elima, Bousquet, Garcia, Simon, Baitieri, Baile, Springer. 

When Duport comes back, Millard or Pomeroy will be off. When Cardace gets back, he'll have a spot on the wing or centre (replacing Pala or Millard/Pomeroy). When Bousquet cames back, it's possible that he takes the Lima's place. 

Statistically, half the team is (or should be) French in each game. 

#4 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

You're missing my point. I'm not saying there aren't French players in the team, i'm asking why they still have a higher overseas quota and why there aren't more youngsters pushing through, given the supposed strength of the French national youth teams

#5 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

They obviously feel they are not good enough because that is why they bring in all the overseas players but i'm interested to know what happens to the youth talent and why more aren't breaking through to the first team?

#6 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

You're right about the "not good enough" feeling. Also there's a lot of talents who are going to Union (more money) and others that are roaming around in the French Elite 1 because of bad life hygien. 

There's a coaching problem, I think, when Barthau is not even on the group, Baile on the bench (never playing), Springer entrance for 5 minute at the end of the game... 

#7 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

Henderson is English, so i'm not sure if English players count on their quota and vice versa

#8 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Alot of frenchplayers go from the under 18 French team into an elite1 under 21 comp with 2 under 23 players, make first grade, get pushed out by foreign players and then go to French fourth or fifth division rugby union for the same money they got playing league at elite 1 level,
Not all do, but a lots of players get disheartened,

The under 16,s have beaten the England 16s regularly in France, they've a couple of games coming up over Easter in Toulon and entraigues ( near Avignon )

The English players go into full time training in pro clubs at 16 the French are already in clubs that play at the same level as the English national conference, not counting the Catalan kids who go into a pro set up but that only allows 24 players or so to get top coaching,

#9 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

Thanks Barnyia, interesting. How come though, out of the 24 each year that get top coaching (who presumably make up the bulk of the French youth teams) have only a few made it to first grade over the past few years? Are they similarly disheartened at the policy to bring over experienced Antipodeans and now Brits which hinders their progress or is the playing pool not actually that good?

#10 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

The catalans junior team play against the other elite junior teams, so not much competition,

#11 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

Also the dragons reserve team is all French except one English lad, there's some great talent but its not being allowed to come through properly, they can't just chuck all the players in or they get beaten easily as this season has shown, they've used 31 players so far,
French players are like young players at other clubs, one or two thrown in with experienced players and they flourish, too many and they struggle,
  • nec likes this

#12 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, but it isn't the young players who've struggled this year, it is the experienced players. Players like Paea and Lima have been awful and their new signings of Pomeroy and Oldfield haven't shown up well either. Plus they seem to stick with certain French players which i don't think are good enough for Super League like Baile, Cardace and Pala (although i understand his favoured position is Centre as he looks woefully out of place on the wing). I was hoping there might be more players like Escare beneath the surface but they don't seem to get a look in.............the only youth player who has made the 17 is Springer and he barely played.

#13 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

Baile is really good one, he just have to play more games. Pala is disapointing... Cardace will probably be a monster in a few years, he's only 21 years old and he's HUGE (physically speaking, he's literally stronger than some of the forwards at the gym), he's strong and fast, he only lacks defence as a winger but he was a centre actually.

We are waiting to see Hakim Miloudi playing, he's a monster. 

#14 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:31 PM

Baile looked really good a number of years ago when he played at 9. Since then, he has suffered a number of injuries and loss of form and been moved about. His workrate seems pretty poor whenever i see him now.

Cardace is very vulnerable under the high ball and for that reason he will never make it as a top class winger. That said he could develop into a centre much like Duport but needs to work massively on his defence and workrate. Opportunities are the key though and if they're not getting them at Catalans, it would do some of them good to go out of their comfort zone and move to an English/Australian club to test themselves at a higher level than Elite 1. The key for me though is getting a 2nd team ie. Toulouse into Super League. Unless anyone can elighten me, that seems to have gone quiet and i don't think they're even in consideration for the 2x12's next year.........

#15 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

It 's taken St Esteve their feeder club some time to get their act together. Lot here believed it would take the best part of a decade to get that set up established. The kids coming through presently are the best they've ever had; Escare, Bousquet, Pelissier, Cardace, Springer and Miloudi. Inviting the Leeds & Wigan Academys over in February is I believe part of this development. When Catalan played Saints the other week they had the same number of French players as Saints had Englishmen - eleven.

Edited by audois, 31 March 2014 - 06:55 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#16 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

How many none french players are catalans aloud on there quota
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#17 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

How many none french players are catalans aloud on there quota

your allowed as many europeans and that other group ( png, samoa, tonga etc) as you want!

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

strange that the best french scrum half by far is playing for salford

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#19 Hvy wg

Hvy wg
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

The best French player*

He's by far the one with the most potential and he's already the best. But hey, he's from Pia (Rival City of Perpignan back in time) and the Catalans never wanted him. He should stay in England or try the NRL in a few years.

#20 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Wonder if some kind of funded draft system could help give more opportunity.

So for example:

Each super league 1 (and maybe even SL2 club) get a pick of a French young player to come to the under 19's his living expenses and a small wage are funded by either SL/French RL/international rugby (world cup profits?) for say 2 years.  This would essentially almost double the amount of french players getting a shot at SL and training in a proffesional environment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users