Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

DR players

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

just been reading swintons forum page and seems they have 5 or 6 DR players from warrington playing today inclueding wood england penny dwyer and a couple more !!! is there a limit on DR players at the same time because its not fair on the lads that train all week then come sunday there place is given to a warrington player trying to stay fit or comeing back from injury

#2 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Its a piece on our forum page started by a fev fan

#3 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

Barring Penny, none of the others really impressed or got a look in today - hard to tell who had dropped down from SL, all were marshalled pretty well

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

Strangely Penny hasn't dropped down from super league. Hes been at Swinton in 2012 and 2013 as our player.
Hes yet to play a game in Warrington first team since they resigned him.
Makes you wonder if Tony Smith has any idea at all because I think he is pure class

#5 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Workington had 5 Wigan players in the side today at Dewsbury. Jack Hughes, Conor Farrell,Gil Dudson,Jordan James and Jack Murphy. The strange thing is that Morro expects some of them to be turning out for Wigan on Friday night in the Challenge Cup. Didn't do them a lot of good and had it not been for Mr Crashley and 2 inept touch judges Workington wouldn't have got a sniff of the Dewsbury half of the field. Hope Morro is right and they all play on Friday.

#6 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

Strangely Penny hasn't dropped down from super league. Hes been at Swinton in 2012 and 2013 as our player.
Makes you wonder if Tony Smith has any idea at all because I think he is pure class

sharpy showed him what class really is.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#7 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

Yes i agree pennys situation is a weird one

Got his customary breakaway try today but positional play was all over the place in the second half where 4/5 second half fev tries came down his side so 'pure class' he wasnt but was one of the better players for swinton today

#8 weighman

weighman
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

A team can have 5 dual reg or loan players in a 17

#9 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

sharpy showed him what class really is.

Will Sharp blew them all away. Someone will be moving in before long.

#10 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

The problem being that the regular Swinton players were blowing in the second half the as opposed to the DR players. I think that this made all the difference to the result IMO.

Edited by saddleworth, 30 March 2014 - 06:24 PM.

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

A team can have 5 dual reg or loan players in a 17

Yeah, but no restriction on the number of players a club can sign from any other club.

Swinton used that loop-hole last year.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Anthony England didn't have much game time! Was he nursing an injury, or was there some ruling from Wire about how many minutes he could play?

#13 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Swinton, Donnie, Workie and Sheff are abusing the rules imo

#14 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

not sheffield surely....not after mr aston's complaining about it last season....

#15 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

not sheffield surely....not after mr aston's complaining about it last season....

#16 weighman

weighman
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

Sheffield only have loan players .
Doncaster have used fringe players from Hull this season .

Swinton & Hunslet now that is a different matter.

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

In theory, the ability to "loan" players for a week rather than a minimum of a month, gives a club access to a better quality of player.  A $uperleague club may well lend you a star player, maybe recovering from injury, for a week but they'd baulk at a month's loan.

In practice, I'm not sure that the borrowing club gets full value - not all these stars are reyt chuffed to be in the Championship and don't put their backs into t'job.

Loan players, on the other hand, tend to be young players looking for more game time.  They tend to have ambitions to become $uperleague players.

We've had loan players for donkeys' years and nobody's thought there's anything wrong with it until DR came along.   I've nothing against loans in principle - and that includes DR - but it has to be a good deal for both lender and borrower.   As it's been used over the last few years, I don't think anyone can honestly say that DR has been a great success for Championship sides.  The team's who've used it most have not done well on the field.   York and Hunslet got relegated, Swinton were a likely candidate.  

#18 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

with a lot rideing on this season what's to say last game of season swinton play barrow winner stays up what would happen if swinton played 6 warrington first team so called super stars surely thats not right

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

Barrow have the option of abusing the rules too, though.

Again - how many clubs are winning things with DR ?

None.

#20 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

Swinton, Donnie, Workie and Sheff are abusing the rules imo

Would you like to explain how Workington are abusing the rules? The rules as they currently stand allow the Championship clubs to use up to 5 dual registered or loan players in a matchday 17. They can use a combination of loan or DR players so they could have 3 on DR from their partner club plus 2 loanees from other clubs to make up their 5. The SL club can dual register ANY of their players and there is no restriction on age.

Workington have a small squad and currently have 5 injured and 1 on suspension. Without using DR they wouldn't have enough players to put out a team. We hear all the time that having DR causes unrest where players don't get games when DR players come in but those same players would probably be sitting out if the Championship team had a full squad.

We have had no problems with DR and last season with Widnes we used it when we had injuries just the same but never heard as many complaints. Could it be that this year because we are partnered with Wigan it causes a little bit of jealousy with some?

Edited by Keith T, 02 April 2014 - 03:01 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users