Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

DR players

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Would you like to explain how Workington are abusing the rules? The rules as they currently stand allow the Championship clubs to use up to 5 dual registered or loan players in a matchday 17. They can use a combination of loan or DR players so they could have 3 on DR from their partner club plus 2 loanees from other clubs to make up their 5. The SL club can dual register ANY of their players and there is no restriction on age.

Workington have a small squad and currently have 5 injured and 1 on suspension. Without using DR they wouldn't have enough players to put out a team. We hear all the time that having DR causes unrest where players don't get games when DR players come in but those same players would probably be sitting out if the Championship team had a full squad.

We have had no problems with DR and last season with Widnes we used it when we had injuries just the same but never heard as many complaints. Could it be that this year because we are partnered with Wigan it causes a little bit of jealousy with some?

My observer at Workington hasn't been impressed so far.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#22 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

My observer at Workington hasn't been impressed so far.

I think that would be more to do with the new coach playing players out of position to have a look at them. We have centres moved to the wing, second rower playing centre, loose forward/stand-off at hooker and that is not to fit DR players in before someone suggests it. He has now seen all our players in action but still probably knows more about Wigan palyers than our own.
We will see if we are to improve now he knows who his best 17 are!!!!

Edited by Keith T, 02 April 2014 - 09:48 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#23 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,955 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

maybe it should be like the draftt where the lowest championship team pairs with the highest s/l team. but the best idea would be scrap it alltogether and bring back "A" teams

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#24 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Absolutely agree, OR.  This is all about cost-cutting and nothing to do with player development.

#25 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

Workington have a small squad and currently have 5 injured and 1 on suspension. Without using DR they wouldn't have enough players to put out a team. ....

Then quite simply they should not be in this league......

#26 the shootist

the shootist
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:26 AM

totally agree les tonks sidestep

#27 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Then quite simply they should not be in this league......

Not sure I'd go that far.  Lots of clubs have some sort of injury crisis at some time.

I'd be reluctant to say that that's a criticism of DR.

#28 the shootist

the shootist
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

griff i agree clubs do have injury crisis etc, and always have, but i think to say that because 6 absentees means you carnt field a team is a pretty poor indication from a club who are in the second tier of a profesional sport. and as les tonks sidestep says surely they should not be in it, if that is there prediciment, i bet even amateur teams would have to play regardless.

#29 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

It must be nice to live along the M62 corridor where teams can pick players up from other clubs including SL clubs very easily. Some of you need to think that many of the players that you and others are able to sign will not sign for clubs in Cumbria because of the travelling involved. Barrow has 26 players (including 3 loanees), Whitehaven have 22 and Town have 23.

Town's 23 includes 3 lads taken straight from the local amateur ranks and we have 18 Cumbrians plus 3 that are not Cumbrian but live in the area. It's sometimes easier to get players from the other side of the world than to get players to travel from Yorkshire.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#30 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

Cumbria, the hot bed of RL and let us hope it will remain so. This is one of the reasons that finances should be filtering down to such clubs, enabling them to bring on the local talent, of which this area abounds.Never mind the antipodeans, if we cannot encourage our own it is a sad reflection upon the sport in general.

#31 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Agree with Saddleworth - we're always being told about Cumbria's strengths.  Are you saying it's all smoke and mirrors, Keith ?

#32 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Agree with Saddleworth - we're always being told about Cumbria's strengths.  Are you saying it's all smoke and mirrors, Keith ?

No smoke and mirrors Griff. Below the semi-professional game we probably have the smallest, in numbers, of clubs and players in the amateur game and yet we have the likes of Wath Brow Hornets, Egremont, Kells, Walney Central, Millom, etc, all more than holding their own with the best of amateur clubs in the country.

The problem higher up is that these small number of clubs have to feed 3 clubs in the Championship because as I have said we can't get the players from Yorkshire to travel to play for our clubs. Town have gone down the route of having predominantly local players whilst Haven have more travellers from Lancashire in the main and 2 PNG players. With no reserve teams, again because of the cost of travelling each other week on journey's other clubs moan about doing once or twice per season, having a big squad leaves a lot of disenchanted players not getting games.

Clubs around the M62 corridor just don't realise the problems that clubs in West Cumbria face and on the whole I think the 3 Cumbrian clubs are doing exceptionally well to hold their places in the Championship (for now).

#33 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

No smoke and mirrors Griff. Below the semi-professional game we probably have the smallest, in numbers, of clubs and players in the amateur game and yet we have the likes of Wath Brow Hornets, Egremont, Kells, Walney Central, Millom, etc, all more than holding their own with the best of amateur clubs in the country.

The problem higher up is that these small number of clubs have to feed 3 clubs in the Championship because as I have said we can't get the players from Yorkshire to travel to play for our clubs. Town have gone down the route of having predominantly local players whilst Haven have more travellers from Lancashire in the main and 2 PNG players. With no reserve teams, again because of the cost of travelling each other week on journey's other clubs moan about doing once or twice per season, having a big squad leaves a lot of disenchanted players not getting games.

Clubs around the M62 corridor just don't realise the problems that clubs in West Cumbria face and on the whole I think the 3 Cumbrian clubs are doing exceptionally well to hold their places in the Championship (for now).

You're building up a very good argument against the expansionists. Those of us along the M62 corridor are indeed very lucky, and we have a head start over bigger towns and cities outside the traditional areas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users