• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

A tale of two halves

First half appalling, really really apalling in fact and Swinton fully deserved their lead who didnt have to do a lot to get up to our line - ball retention was abysmal, silly errors, charging down all the time - why not let the ball go?

Second half we were a different team - whoever did the half time team talk certainly earned their crust and the inspired substitution of Mendeika for Hellewell paid dividends

Ball retention loads better, barely an error, barely a pen given away, we ripped them apart at times up the slope

The wide players certainly finished well today and didnt have to feed on scraps like last week, Mendeika played well alongside Sharp and might be a permananet fixture in the centre role, Teasdale looks a decent prospect as well

Onwards to the cup game now

#2 pont rover

pont rover
  • Coach
  • 491 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

Pretty good summary elppaxr2i got away with a win today,perform like that against a better side like Leigh and Sheffield and we will be on the end of a good hiding.

#3 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

maybe then maybe not. believe it or not we have the best defence in the league and second best attack. I argee we were woeful in the first our technique in the tackle not a patch on last season and failing to get them on their backs. Second half completely different team. I dont think anyone would be ab,e to have lived with the second half display.

moore at hooker, kain at scrum half for me.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#4 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Still say that we require one owd head to lead us around the park

#5 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

paul cook !!!!!!!!

#6 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

matt cook
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#7 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

On current form Mendeika needs a permanent spot as does Andy Kain....They looked more settled in second half; Apart from the two injured hookers he doesn't need to keep tinkering; Though Teasdale had a good game; For me I think we just need a bullocking prop in the mould of Gaz Handford in bygone days;

#8 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

paul cook !!!!!!!!

Not a bad choice

#9 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

Why is Andy Kain a playmaker/football brain at acting halfback? All he does is get the ball and pass, a massive waste of his skill. He threw some silly passes but he doesn't half tear opposing team a new one.

#10 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Another thing, drawing men before the pass. Why we don't do this often is beyond me. In the second half, the try we got in the right hand corner from Will Sharp was brilliant. I was stood with my Uncle and we saw the try before he got the ball it was so obvious. This was all from drawing the men in off their mark. Winger and center pulled in and left opening for Will.

More draw and pass, less one man rugby and pass for sake of passing please.

#11 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

maybe then maybe not. believe it or not we have the best defence in the league and second best attack. I argee we were woeful in the first our technique in the tackle not a patch on last season and failing to get them on their backs. Second half completely different team. I dont think anyone would be ab,e to have lived with the second half display.

moore at hooker, kain at scrum half for me.

This.

#12 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

If only it was as simple as drawing a man and creating a gap , unfortunately its a bit more complex than that , as well as dozens of attack drills to create gaps and as many to counteract , theres also the speed of players decision making skills and support players running lines affecting it as well .

#13 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

Another thing, drawing men before the pass. Why we don't do this often is beyond me. In the second half, the try we got in the right hand corner from Will Sharp was brilliant. I was stood with my Uncle and we saw the try before he got the ball it was so obvious. This was all from drawing the men in off their mark. Winger and center pulled in and left opening for Will.

Was that the one from two forward passes??

#14 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

We, Leigh, are in poor form at present - we seem to think we have games won and then play silly allowing teams back in to the game.

#15 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

How come Tommy Saxton gone to Halifax as thought he was a top player?

#16 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

He is but its hard to keep Will Sharp and Etu Uaisele out of the wing spots , two top players , cant see why weve let him go to one of our main rivals though , hes still a top dangerous attacking player

Edited by dydo, 31 March 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#17 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

This is what surprises me mate.Loaning out to your rivals when a top player, and i hope is not playing against Widnes. :D

#18 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Think theyl need more than Tommy to beat you

#19 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Very unpredictable league this year. Leigh are scraping wins, so are rovers. Sheffield don't look too cracking. Looking at donny at the moment for this year.

#20 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

If only it was as simple as drawing a man and creating a gap , unfortunately its a bit more complex than that , as well as dozens of attack drills to create gaps and as many to counteract , theres also the speed of players decision making skills and support players running lines affecting it as well .

If it wasn't for drawing men, how would we get through? It is one of the easiest things to defend in the world just passing along line for sake of it. All opposing team has to do is slide left or right where as if you have 3 players running close to the defence sucking them in, makes it easier for our centres and wingers to get in.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: discuss the game here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users