today

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

Can't fault hunslet today . All played well with some great tries. Great try from cook on debut and well done Ryan Bailey who did everything asked of him.

#2 funkygibbon

funkygibbon
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

WELL DONE TO ALL THE LADS TODAY GREAT GAME AND A GOOD CROWD ON MOTHERS DAY

#3 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

Good performance today against a decent Skolars side, they have some big lads but apart from their only try down their left hand side our defence was superb. Stand out performances from Mapals, Broughton,Tebbs and when he came on late in the game Cook. A big plus was the goal kicking of Ansell after March went off. Bailey did all that was expected of him, doing his share of taking the ball up plus one or two crunching tackles, he seemed to enjoy himself.

Only downside for me and in no way do I want to be critical of the lad but Danny Grimshaw seemed well below par, he seems to have lost that yard of pace that makes all the difference, perhaps he's carrying an injury, whatever it is I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he'll be back to his best.

Edited by Moose, 31 March 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#4 ArmyAdam

ArmyAdam
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

Another top performance today, hope they take this form into next weeks challenge cup.Think Barry will have a selection headache after some great performances today. Broughton & mapals playing really well,along with quite a few players,injuries were a slight concern,but today showed the strength in the squad. I know the dual reg situation has a divided opinion,but if they're willing to put their bodies on the line for the shirt, i think all the supporters should back them,regardless if they are from north of the river.

Promotion / play off final has got to be the aim this season,but a nice cup run would be good for the club and hopefully the boost the income.

Can only see York and Oldham as real title contenders with us, still plenty of rugby to play (even another crack at York at home).

Overall great start to the season !

#5 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

I thought Grimshaw was MOM, he set up the first 2 tries. With the 1st breaking through the defence. In 2nd half he did his classic break again on halfway creating a try for Kain? He plays more freely on the left side.
Great to see Akadire scoring a hat trick on debut & the other debutant Cook had a great 30 minutes. Not only did he score a length of the field try, the last try for Akadire was classic centre play drawing both centre & wing before passing to his winger. I am hoping the debutants get further opportunities rather than being pushed back into obscurity.
All round it was a qualify performance.

#6 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

... and so all those injury worries turned out to be unfounded. Plenty of skill and effort from every one in MW&F today - including Bailey, but he himself was overshadowed by our other debutees Akaidere and Cook, who must surely have set some sort of record by both scoring with their very first touch wearing a Hunslet shirt.

I thought Grimmer was back to his old self in the first half, playing down the left where he had plenty of support from Akaidere and Oakes, but a change of tactics after half-time seemed to send things quiet down that channel. 40 points in 40 minutes though so we can't really criticise ..

Well done all round, a good team performance, and assuming some of the injuries clear up, some interesting selection choices to be made for next week.

Once again there seemed more in attendance than the announced figure.

#7 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

I thought I heard the attendance as 389 but on BBC says 329.
Also I was told Akaidere is the only 2nd person in Hunslet history to score a hat trick on debut. Maybe somebody with more knowledge on the history can confirm this.

#8 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

Following the intervention on this Forum by supporters who have been coming to SLS since it opened in 1995, the attendance for the YORK game was increased by over 20% (see the Chairmans notes in the Skolars programme

One way of auditing the attendance is for IAN JOHNSON who takes it down to the PA box early in the second half to stand on the halfway between the dugouts and look at the crowd , he should be able to tell near enough if the attendance he's going to have announced is correct.

No problem with yesterdays crowd of approx 380 I thought that was about right.. Second half 40.0 to us with a makeshift team was outstanding . Ansell got his chance and put over some good goals, and I liked the look of COOK.-- no wonder Bailey appeared to be enjoying himself I'm told D/R players don't get paid by us unless we win-- so I think he became the first D/R to get winning pay from Hunslet.

#9 Woodlesford Hawk

Woodlesford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Following the intervention on this Forum by supporters who have been coming to SLS since it opened in 1995, the attendance for the YORK game was increased by over 20% (see the Chairmans notes in the Skolars programme
One way of auditing the attendance is for IAN JOHNSON who takes it down to the PA box early in the second half to stand on the halfway between the dugouts and look at the crowd , he should be able to tell near enough if the attendance he's going to have announced is correct.
No problem with yesterdays crowd of approx 380 I thought that was about right.. Second half 40.0 to us with a makeshift team was outstanding . Ansell got his chance and put over some good goals, and I liked the look of COOK.-- no wonder Bailey appeared to be enjoying himself I'm told D/R players don't get paid by us unless we win-- so I think he became the first D/R to get winning pay from Hunslet.

I also thought the crowd was around 380 to 400, however confusion reins again;
The announcement at the game was 389, Both BBC and the Rugby League official websites have announced 329 and The League Express this morning gives the crowd at 289.
If these are figures are going to be so far out if given on the day of the game, it may be better in light of what Neil announced in yesterdays programme to wait till Monday and put the official attendance on the club website that will give them time to add up all the crowd.
As for the game, the best performance yet this season and kept going for the hole 80 minutes. Cooks try on 53 minutes was a classic.

#10 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

I think the attendance must be given out on match days. -- our P/A and the Press Agency should be given the same figure, so don't know where all the different figures come from.

There should be no problem at SLS for Championship 1 games, someone should be asked to walk round and count them in the first half providing everyone stays still.

#11 Butler

Butler
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

I attended the game yesterday and I thought it was a good entertaining game. Still think it's sad to see Bailey in a hunslet shirt though.

Edited by Butler, 31 March 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#12 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Thought we were very clinical in everything we did but have to say we must have won the penalty count by something like 15-2 and no team can defend  against that, I ended up feeling sorry for London at times ! Must say the most improved player at the club has to be Danny Ansell who I made mom y,day, his  half back partnership with Grimmer looked good in a pre season friendly and once again against the Skolars the ball was moved around at speed to get the threequarters moving, they seem to have a very good understanding and hopefully will produce it next week against Worky.

Posted Image

#13 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Can't really add much more to what's been said on here. Got to agree with KOL over Danny Ansell, I cannot believe it's the same player from last season. He has come on in leaps and bounds since then. He just looks so confident in everything he does.

In fact no one had a bad game yesterday for us.

Yet at the begining of the game , I did think we might struggle to win this game at 4 points each. Do think London did not deserve the final score against them , and they will beat a few teams in this league.

Can't wait for the Workington game , but I do know that will be a lot tougher , as always is against Worky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users