Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So PV's had a few games to see the personnel.......

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

So what positions do you think he'll look at making changes to?
Heard a name earlier of a player who i imagine would play at stand off if signed. But maybe Brett Carter could make a good go of it in that position with Tierney at full back? Which means a replacement for Haney is needed for wing cover if he's not going to be able to make training. And unless we are guaranteed a prop off Wigan each week we'll need another prop i'd say. Most important to me though is a stand off with experience and a kicking game as i think Carl Forber just gets himself in a muddle when he gets the ball and ends up doing nothing most of the time and Peter's kicking game is usually not as good as other teams' kicking games in this division.
Maybe Town could hijack haven's 'advanced talks' with Brett Seymour just for a laugh :)

Edited by Monkeydo, 31 March 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

I doubt we'll be signing anyone . It'll be DR or loans . Callum hasn't a bad kicking game . Against Leigh last year he kicked them to death . Something to work on . Tierney I rate , a half like Powell or young Williams , and two props ( Hopkins n James would be best ) would be my perfect DR set up . Carter and Matty back and we'd have a lot more xfactor . But half definitely . We're not going to the root of things until we nail that . Most teams we play have a string puller in chief who end up having a great effect and end up with the cleanest jersey !!

Edited by DavidM, 31 March 2014 - 10:03 PM.

#3 Bearintown

Bearintown
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

A quality stand off is an absolute must if we are to survive this year.
Sorry but Carl shows a moment of class once in a while then does nothing at all for weeks.Not enough.
In the absence of a new Stand off I too would give carter a go there- if we can spare him at the back

#4 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 872 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

We definitely need a stand off that can play alongside Callum, I have lost count on how many times teams have beaten us with a good half back pairing,  the dark side are confident they have signed Seymour, good player if they have, has plenty of experience and would be a good signing for any team in this league.

#5 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 840 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

Haha,don't let the jammies know we are interested in seymour they will be having palpitations.The post is about signings and who would replace who?it mentions about brett and tierney at fullback,why not put tierney on the wing leave brett at 1,we will need a couple of props from DR unless we sign 1 or 2 but, that would be all we would need,a stand off is a must for the club,we make all the right descisions on the opponents line but we have no one to finish off the final pass,so,if town are looking to make a signing in the 6 position good on them.We can all pick our favourite team and ithink 9 out 10 of us would pick the same has the coach or very near,and then we will see us start to pick up in the league.
Posted Image

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Perfect town team
--------------------------
Tierney
Carter
Red
Connor
Miller
Phillips C
Powell
Hopkins
Matty.
Mcavoy
Phillips B.
Stack.
Olstrum

Lupton
Rooney
James
Coward

Just a bit of fun

I really wanted to put Miller in the centres with Connor . I think that would be good . But I didn't have another winger ? Toyed with Olstrum on the bench spelling Matty and keeping Mcavoy at 13 , but I wanted to get all the best players in . As has been said , in the real world it will be interesting to see what he does now he's had a good look at things . Looks like people reckon what he does in the halves will be most significant .

Edited by DavidM, 31 March 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#7 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

I would go for
Tierney
Miller
Rooney
Connor
Mossop
Carter
Callum
James
Matty
Hopkins
Stack
Brett
Olstrum

Mcavoy
Coward
Lupton
Rowlandson (I still believe if given game time the big fella will cause plenty of damage)
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#8 Dearham Lass

Dearham Lass
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

James Duerden should have more game time as there is such potential there.

#9 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

Ryan Hampshire would be a great DR for us he has always been a half who can play full back as I think Wigan see him in the Tomkins mould. The stakes are to high unfortunately to be picking wildcards and hoping they fulfill there potential this season, Haven trying to sign Seymour proves that they just got 721 for a cumbrian derby they must be losing money hand over fist but are pushing the boat out to try and stay in this division

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#10 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

I am hearing that a Stand off has signed for us.

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Carter and Olstrum return ... As we lose Stack n Mcavoy . We get some duff luck with injured guys and who they are

#12 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Carter and Olstrum return ... As we lose Stack n Mcavoy . We get some duff luck with injured guys and who they are

matty back as well. At least with Brett back we actually have an outside back playing in his proper position. Karl's work rate will replace mcavoys.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#13 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

Yes indeed . Still would be good to see all our core players together on the pitch sometime soon!

#14 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

I still can only see a squad containing 16 or the bare 17 players ( if McGoff is back training) available to us, plus Murphy from Wigan.

Edited by Supporter, 01 April 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#15 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

I still can only see a squad containing 16 or the bare 17 players ( if McGoff is back training) available to us, plus Murphy from Wigan.

lever could also play if available

#16 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

16 ... Including three amateur lads , with maybe Mcgoff to help . It's a bit scary when you take that DR crutch away and look at it . We have no cushion for injuries really .

#17 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

Happy April fools day to you too....,

#18 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 852 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Pm me the name you have and I will pass on the inside info I have
Including the signing of Ben Dover and joe king apparently quote name="GeordieTownie" post="2909177" timestamp="1396356223"]

Happy April fools day to you too....,[/quote]

#19 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

I was given a name of a possible signing too, before 1st April i might add :) so no reason to believe its a wind up or owt

Edited by Monkeydo, 02 April 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#20 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

any chance of a PM?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users