Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So PV's had a few games to see the personnel.......

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#41 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

If we can't how can they?

#42 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

If we can't how can they?

because they haven't just spent a fortune on a new coach.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#43 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

They need a visa application so Good Friday may be a push .

#44 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

So people who were screaming for dual reg with Wigan now say it's rubbish. I'd give up if I were the directors. Last year people were kicking off for not having with a bigger club.

#45 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

Aye we have to go all in now , that's such a central part of the structure , and hope for the best . We are where we are , we can ask the questions we have articulated here many times and have the inquest at the end of the season if it goes belly up ... I'm sure we'd all be interested in the answers . We have DR and a blooming good link up . Our season comes down to how it works out .

Edited by DavidM, 02 April 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#46 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

Agreed. We've all asked for it and now we've got it. So it's just a matter of hoping it works. Whoever we had in our squad, if we didn't have a DR partner and went on a losing streak everyone would say it was because we didn't have DR.

And if you're DR with Wigan what's the point in having a big squad because there's either be more disappointed players or we wouldn't need the DR.

We can't have it both ways.

Edited by GeordieTownie, 02 April 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#47 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hoping's right . All the comments and questions on this are valid ... We'll see . DR or not , it's a massive ask I reckon . But this year , this gives us our best , maybe only , chance . This is what we've put all our chips on . Fingers crossed . Come September they maybe a reckoning .

Edited by DavidM, 02 April 2014 - 05:14 PM.

#48 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Or a merger!

#49 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

Well the process may begin ... Who knows . If both hit the bottom ? Big changes coming in the game as a a whole . Interesting times ahead, if that's the right word !

Edited by DavidM, 02 April 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#50 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

So people who were screaming for dual reg with Wigan now say it's rubbish. I'd give up if I were the directors. Last year people were kicking off for not having with a bigger club.

You're missing the point. DR should augment your squad, not be a key component of it. Without DR we would struggle to put a team out, that's bad planning whichever way you look at it.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#51 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

Utter rubbish. If we had a bigger squad we wouldn't need dual reg....unless we got beat then everyone would say we were desperate for it. We saw what happened a few year ago when we had a big squad, around 4 or 5 asked to be released so we then had a small squad. You can't have it both ways and that isn't an opinion it's fact based on what's happened in the past. It's impossible to keep a bigger squad happy. Havrn had it last year and when the DR dried up and players went home they were scratching around for amateurs to fill their places as some of their original squad has asked to be released.

#52 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hunslet have a large squad of 28 and intended to resist the use of DR but seven long term injuries and one short term injury to Andy Ballard prior to last week forced them to relent. Whatever the philosophy of Town, the choice of using DR or not is taken away from you if you walk the tightrope of a Club squad of only 21/22.

Edited by Supporter, 02 April 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#53 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

Derwent , your point is fair . We've said it many times . We made DR a central component of our plans . The second point , when absentees bite , is just fact . I used the word scary . That's all pretty stark . Without DR , we wouldn't compete in this league , what we have isn't good enough . Many teams are improving and the league is levelling out at a good standard .That's a big leap of faith in Wigan and how these guys react to being shipped up here ...Risky business . It's not gone to plan yet .But that's our route now for good or ill . Veivers will use it big I think , which is a view on the quality we have as much as quantity . And what quality we do have getting injured really hurts us , as we can't replace the impact or sometimes even cover the position . And it seems to happen to us a lot , unluckily .

Edited by DavidM, 02 April 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#54 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

Even with a squad of 50 you'd still want to use them as theoretically they should be better than what you have. If we were dual reg with Wigan and were losing everyone would be screaming to use it so why not use it from the start and skip the other bit where you pi#s people off and cost yourself money?! Haney has already asked to be released and that's in a squad of 22 or whatever it is. If we signed another 6 does anyone seriously believe they'd be better than our existing first choice players? Or has someone found a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow?

Let's get real

Edited by GeordieTownie, 02 April 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#55 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

And if we did sign another 6 that were better would you expect that the ones who moved down the pecking order wouldn't want to go elsewhere?!

#56 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

Oh for the days of an A Team, when young players could be brought on, injured players could 'gently' return. Saturday and then Sunday Rugby afternoons at Town were so much more enjoyable then ......but I suppose progress is better!

#57 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

You're missing the point. DR should augment your squad, not be a key component of it. Without DR we would struggle to put a team out, that's bad planning whichever way you look at it.

I agree with you Derwent. I think Wigan are the ones who are dictating too, when they want a player to play from Wigan, he will play!

#58 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Mr Vievers has had time to assess the squad and surely he can see what is obvious to fans I.e we are lacking quality and experience at half back and ditto in the front row and centres. The question is what is the board going to do about it? If the last two games are anything to go by we can't rely on DR. If changes aren't imminent in the near future I fear the Town will be facing relegatuon and then what?

#59 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

If you get 2 superleague props in (they're in superleague because they're better than the props in the championship are they not?) why would you use someone who is of lower quality?

Fully agree with the statement regarding a reserve side but we are where we are.

Question is do we want

a. a large squad where we have lots of players who don't get a game so we struggle towards the end of the season because we get injuries and a number of players who weren't getting a game earlier in the season got struck off - so the club got criticised

b. a smaller squad with DR From a so called weaker club so we lose matches for not getting enough quality players - so the club get criticised

Or

c. a smaller squad with DR from a bigger club who provide more players - so the club get criticised

Answers on a postcard.......

I think that's what you call a no win situation.

Edited by GeordieTownie, 02 April 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#60 Aubrey Boyce

Aubrey Boyce
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

I think some owe H4E an apology when he told you this was happening that wane was telling you who was playing and that dual reg would damage your club you all attacked him but all of a sudden your agreeing with what he said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users