TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Stevo: I will retire from commentary in three years

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

Stevo: I will retire from commentary in three years

An ex player of great repute, Mike “Stevo” Stephenson has been the face and voice of Sky Sports’ Rugby League coverage for over two decades. Leeds Rhinos star Jamie Jones-Buchanan discusses the journalism career of a man that by his own admission splits opinion right down the middle.

http://www.totalrl.c...nson-interview/

(First published in Rugby League World issue 396)
http://www.pocketmag...by League World

rlw_april2014_300x300.jpg

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 569 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Does he expect to still be employed as a commentator for 3 years!

As a journalist fine but god help us if Sky continue to use him in his current role. Mike think again, this statement comes across as very self important.

#3 sentoffagain

sentoffagain
  • Twitter
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

please  say  it's  true  not  just  another  april  fool.i'm  not  for  wishing  ones  life  away  but  in  this  case  roll  on.

#4 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

Someone tell Andy Farrell that Eddie and Stevo are quality commentators..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#5 DaveGC

DaveGC
  • Players
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

both should retire as from now ....get vossy in he was superb during world cup

#6 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

Does he expect to still be employed as a commentator for 3 years!

As a journalist fine but god help us if Sky continue to use him in his current role. Mike think again, this statement comes across as very self important.

Presumably he's said that because that's how long his contract is and he was asked about it as he was being interviewed about his career. It's not like he's released a statement out of nowhere proclaiming this!

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#7 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

I heard he's waiting for his beloved Dewsbury to make their bow in Super League.

Looks like they'll be wheeling him out of the commentary booth in a wooden box if thats the case then.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#8 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

I like Stevo, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but oh well.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#9 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

Another three years of Stevo.  That's terrible, terrible news for rugby league.

It's interesting what he says though, about never being taken aside and spoken to by anyone at Sky about his godawfulness - which only confirms my view that Neville Smith needs to go before anyone has the bottle to tell Eddie & Stevo they are well past their sell-by date.

Another three years of Stevo.  Just too depressing...

#10 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

I like Stevo, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but oh well.

Same here :) Another 3 years sounds good to me!

#11 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Same here :) Another 3 years sounds good to me!

Yeah, great news if you want to put off three years' worth of enthusiastic RL supporters from turning their sound up while Sky matches are on!

It's much better news for the BBC because those of us who no longer listen to the old buffer are tuning in to Five Live and boosting their listening figures.

Although I do think Sky subscribers should get compensation.

Edited by Saintslass, 01 April 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#12 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

Eddie and Stevo made 'Wide to West' even more exciting with their commentary whereas Ray Warren made Shaun Kenny-Dowalls interception try in the 99th minute seem quite ordinary with his commentary, see here:

Like I say, I like Stevo, he's even in my sig!

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#13 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, great news if you want to put off three years' worth of enthusiastic RL supporters from turning their sound up while Sky matches are on!

It's much better news for the BBC because those of us who no longer listen to the old buffer are tuning in to Five Live and boosting their listening figures.

Although I do think Sky subscribers should get compensation.

:biggrin:

I've always found him to be very personable and his presence helped me to get into the sport as a youngster. His enthusiasm and eccentricity have always appealed to me, and compared to a boring fart like Stuart Barnes I'd rather listen to the good Mr Stephenson any day of the week.

I do wish he would revert back to using some of his old catchphrases though. I'd be very happy if we get to hear 'I'll put the house on it' plenty of times over the next 3 years (I'm not trolling btw, I'm completely serious).

Keep up the good work and bring back those trademark catchphrases Stevo!! I hope to get my copy of 'Stevo: Looking Back' autographed one day B)

#14 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 798 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'm also a fan of Stevo, and Eddie also. It's Cullen that needs to stop it.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#15 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

I didn't used to mind him when I was younger and in the early 2000's when I was old enough to start understanding what was happening on an RL pitch but as time has gone on my patience with him as a commentator has worn thin.

The cliches are getting tiresome. 'Try something different like a chip over the top' is the one which bugs me especially when he still says it when the full back is in a great position to anticipate a chip over the top. The ranting on a refs decision really does bug me also. If an official makes a mistake he will rant on it for such an excessive amount of time. Even if a brilliant piece of skill happens (or skill factor as one of his cliches goes) he still refers back to the refereeing decision. Another thing is his decision to never change his opinion no matter what evidence arises. It is very irritating and really does annoy me especially when he doesn't shut up about it. All these things happen frequently in a game and it really does make the game a worse experience to watch.

Just to be clear I am criticising Stevo as a commentator not as a person at all. His passion for the game is quite frankly not matched by many other people. He truly wants what is best for the sport. His articles and analysis on situations is thoughtful and we'll explained. I do hope he gets recognition from the palace for his involvement with rugby league. But I just think his days as a commentator are well and truly over.

#16 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Part of the problem with Stevo is the catchphrases,you know that an hour into the game you Will hear "they need to try something different,maybe a little chip over the top" etc,etc.He's become a caricature,fresh ideas are needed for Rugby League commentary at Sky.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Eddie and Stevo made 'Wide to West' even more exciting with their commentary

That was all Eddie, to be fair.  Stevo wisely stayed quiet. 

#18 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

I didn't used to mind him when I was younger and in the early 2000's when I was old enough to start understanding what was happening on an RL pitch but as time has gone on my patience with him as a commentator has worn thin.

The cliches are getting tiresome. 'Try something different like a chip over the top' is the one which bugs me especially when he still says it when the full back is in a great position to anticipate a chip over the top. The ranting on a refs decision really does bug me also. If an official makes a mistake he will rant on it for such an excessive amount of time. Even if a brilliant piece of skill happens (or skill factor as one of his cliches goes) he still refers back to the refereeing decision. Another thing is his decision to never change his opinion no matter what evidence arises. It is very irritating and really does annoy me especially when he doesn't shut up about it. All these things happen frequently in a game and it really does make the game a worse experience to watch.

Just to be clear I am criticising Stevo as a commentator not as a person at all. His passion for the game is quite frankly not matched by many other people. He truly wants what is best for the sport. His articles and analysis on situations is thoughtful and we'll explained. I do hope he gets recognition from the palace for his involvement with rugby league. But I just think his days as a commentator are well and truly over.

Me too bud. An MBE would probably be the most likely, but 'Sir Stevo' does have a lovely ring to it!

#19 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

:biggrin:

I've always found him to be very personable and his presence helped me to get into the sport as a youngster. His enthusiasm and eccentricity have always appealed to me, and compared to a boring fart like Stuart Barnes I'd rather listen to the good Mr Stephenson any day of the week.

I do wish he would revert back to using some of his old catchphrases though. I'd be very happy if we get to hear 'I'll put the house on it' plenty of times over the next 3 years (I'm not trolling btw, I'm completely serious).

Keep up the good work and bring back those trademark catchphrases Stevo!! I hope to get my copy of 'Stevo: Looking Back' autographed one day B)

I'm guessing this is an April's Fool..?

He's a robot - repeating the same old Stevo-cliches again and again, year-in year-out, with zero analytical insight.  I've heard everything he's ever said, at least a thousand times over - and almost all of it was utter bilge. 

Next time you listen to his commentary, really concentrate - nothing makes any sense, and you've heard it all before. I could list dozens of his repeated verbal idiocies, he's that predictable. 

Sky's Rugby League coverage is the shop window for the game - and sadly we've put a know-nothing buffoon centre-stage and given him a microphone and another three years on his contract.  It's simply not good enough to have a little chuckle about what a 'character' he is - he makes the game and the people who play it look simple-minded, and drowns out others who know far, far more. 

As simple as that - as Stevo says after almost all his ridiculous statements.

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

They annoy me at times, but overall I don't have too much of an issue with them.

I'm not convinced anybody would be good enough for RL tbh - I liked Voss, but he still played it for laughs far too much - I prefer commentators to treat us like adults and talk about the game and throw in some stats and facts.

I think one of the slight issues with the Sky team is that as they do pretty much every game together it just comes across as a bunch of mates covering the games - tbh sometimes that works but I do understand why some people find them annoying.

What I would say is I have never heard a neutral have a major issue with them, and certainly nobody has turned off because of the commentators that I know of, it is people who know more about the game and disagree with their approach that seem to have the issues with them.

I think we should relax a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users