TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

A lions tour is it folly?

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

Id love to see Lions tours come back, regardless if for the immediate future it would essentially be the England team (plus Danny Brough).. but as a squad, as has been mentioned, the likes of Ben Flower, Gil Dudson and others would be a chance of making an enlarged squad, especially if the intention was to play a few mid week games as touring parties did traditionally.

That being said, i cant see any NRL clubs supporting such an idea, where their players are potentially picked to play rep games other than for SOO.

Timing would probably be the biggest issue for such things also. When would these games be played?

I'd like to see a three test series against the Aussies with games played against PNG, NSW residents and a Queensland residents side.

Start off with a game against PNG, then NSW residents, first test, Queensland residents, second test, third test.

Again, such a thing would depend on timing.

Suspending the SL and NRL for a period of time for such a tour would ever get the go ahead.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#22 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

They could pick Russell, Brough, Flower and the NRL based Welsh second row without particularly weakening the squad. If Lions tours were a regular occurrence, a Welshman looking to move up to our game from another sport might suddenly be faced with the prospect of a major tour and an already excellent and growing World Cup every 4 years. We could make that a selling point...

Like anything else, this could work if enough people put in enough effort to make it work. We got over 7k to Bristol for a mid week USA-Cook Islands game, so can get 5 figure crowds for Lions matches.

The Aussies and Kiwis were away for 7 weeks for the World Cup. It would do us no harm at all to have a squad together for a long period of time, if only to pick up any Hockesque behaviour earlier than immediately prior to the World Cup.

To my mind the key people in this are the players. They're the ones who complain about the lack of international opportunities. If they're keen on what could be a life changing experience then we owe it to them to make it happen.

As for the fixture list, we have played Winfield Cup teams in the past, but the home team has generally been happy to adjust the level of player turning out so as to ensure even our mid week teams are competitive.

Lions tours have a very long history, and have brought out some heroic performances.

By 2015 we could have nearly a dozen available players already based in the NRL - getting everyone together for a long period of time could be vital in building a team ethos, learning off one another and finding out about each other, in a way that you can't replicate by get togethers during the SL season any more.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the pro's vastly outweigh any con's.

Tyson Frizell is the one you're thinking of. He's probably our most talented player and I fear that we may lose him to Australia at international level if his current form continues. Perhaps a place in a Lions side would provide him with an extra incentive to stick with Wales? Although I obviously hope that he will anyway.

#23 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

Also this talk about Welsh players getting a chance on the big stage... don't they have a chance to qualify for the 4 Nations in 2016? Realistically Flower and Dudson, plus maybe Evans twins, will only be there to make up the numbers, not to start. They should be focusing on moving Wales up the rankings and playing in more top level tournaments for their country. 

#24 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Dave T s tournament idea based in France sounds interesting. Toulouse, Albi, Avignon, Carcassonne and Perpignan all capable of drawing five-figure crowds. Wouldn't mind as an aside seeing Wales at Avignon this Autumn. They've had crowds of 14,000 (Ireland), 16,000 (England) and 17,000 (NZ) up in Vaucluse in the last three years. Need to build on that.

Re-2015 I thought that France have already arranged to undertake a three-match tour of New Zealand next year. May be that though depends on GB tour going a head. With the union WC thing taking place across the Channnel could work with strategic planning; the Top 14 suspended could create a window.

Edited by audois, 02 April 2014 - 12:09 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#25 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Re-2015 I thought that France have already arranged to undertake a three-match tour of New Zealand next year. May be that though depends on GB tour going a head. With the union WC thing taking place across the Channnel could work with strategic planning; the Top 14 suspended could create a window.

The France tour to NZ in 2015 is a definite (or at least as definite as anything in RL is). The NZRL is quoted as confirming this, the only unknowns are the make up of the 2 other games France will play alongside the Test with the Kiwis. 

#26 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:46 PM

The France tour to NZ in 2015 is a definite (or at least as definite as anything in RL is). The NZRL is quoted as confirming this, the only unknowns are the make up of the 2 other games France will play alongside the Test with the Kiwis. 

So France are going all the way to NZ and are playing just one test?! What a joke. Let's hope they play PNG and Fiji whilst in the region. 

#27 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

So France are going all the way to NZ and are playing just one test?! What a joke. Let's hope they play PNG and Fiji whilst in the region.

What's funny about that?
Peru are playing at Wembley at soccer soon are you lol'in??
Should they not bother at all?

Also didnt iestyn say he wanted to take wales on tour?

#28 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

Dave T s tournament idea based in France sounds interesting. Toulouse, Albi, Avignon, Carcassonne and Perpignan all capable of drawing five-figure crowds. Wouldn't mind as an aside seeing Wales at Avignon this Autumn. They've had crowds of 14,000 (Ireland), 16,000 (England) and 17,000 (NZ) up in Vaucluse in the last three years. Need to build on that.

I would play one home and one away game

england vs france

france vs wales

wales vs england

and rotate each year, only 1 game for each country to sell and because of the regular rotation plenty of notice for travelling fans....

also if NRL players wasn't selected these games could be played through the season maybe august? Which would give players a rest in the off season

#29 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

What's funny about that?
Peru are playing at Wembley at soccer soon are you lol'in??
Should they not bother at all?

Also didnt iestyn say he wanted to take wales on tour?

What on earth on you on about? Where did I say it was funny?  :blink:

I said it's a joke that they're going all that way and playing JUST one test, why not more? Why not play PNG and Fiji whilst in the region?

Peru are playing at Wembley, then a few days later they're playing Switzerland in Switzerland, exactly my point. 

#30 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

I don't see why they can't have a Championship spread over the year. For example:

2015:

April: France v England, England v Wales

July: Wales v France, England v France

Oct: France v Wales, Wales v England

Team top of the group at the end wins the title. Yes, 95% of the time it will probably be England, but so what? England haven't won a Four Nations title either, doesn't stop us having them. 

#31 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

I don't see why they can't have a Championship spread over the year. For example:

2015:
April: France v England, England v Wales
July: Wales v France, England v France
Oct: France v Wales, Wales v England

Team top of the group at the end wins the title. Yes, 95% of the time it will probably be England, but so what? England haven't won a Four Nations title either, doesn't stop us having them.

a mid season test series would give a break in the season..... one the community game is crying out for... win win

#32 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

I would play one home and one away game
england vs france
france vs wales
wales vs england
and rotate each year, only 1 game for each country to sell and because of the regular rotation plenty of notice for travelling fans....
also if NRL players wasn't selected these games could be played through the season maybe august? Which would give players a rest in the off season

How about playing this series on the same dates as State of Origin ,it will make it hard for the NRL not to release players as QLD and NSW players are takin out of comp before SoO.

Les

#33 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

I have always thought we should have the GB tours and alot of the posts have reinforced my views, they were amazing specticles in the past and the R U have shown they work in the present. You have to make sacrifices as a game for the greater good and i feel a mix of european games along with a vibrant international fixture list would do a hell of alot for the game as a whole!

#34 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

I have always thought we should have the GB tours and alot of the posts have reinforced my views, they were amazing specticles in the past and the R U have shown they work in the present. You have to make sacrifices as a game for the greater good and i feel a mix of european games along with a vibrant international fixture list would do a hell of alot for the game as a whole!

4 European games every year would do far more for British RL than a three match losing series every 4 years.....

#35 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Of course and Union also announce their tours well in advance, so fans know where they'll be going years in advance. RL will wait until June next year to announce the dates, meaning fans will have very little chance of making it and thus completely scuppering the idea of a tour.

What's wrong with having a NH tournament next year? Now I know the stadiums will be booked for the RUWC, but then why not have it in France instead?

I mentioned something similar in a different thread. There could be a NH 4, 5 or 6 Nations with more regionalised competitions underneath for the less established nations. The NH competition could be used to qualify for the 2016 4 Nations with World Cup qualifiers running at the same time as the 4 Nations.The finishing positions for the WC could be used to determine the teams for 2018 4N which starts the cycle again.
The SH could mirror the NH competition so both Hemispheres would have regular competitions.
The teams that aren't involved in the 2014, 2018 etc 4N could maybe play in a 2nd tier 4N or play test series/tours against some of the other non qualifiers

#36 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

Listen to a lot of Aussie commentries when GB have been on tour in Oz, they invariably refer to GB as England, they don't know the difference, probably because there isn't much to difference to notice.

GB is dead, let it rest in a long peace.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#37 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

They were discussing GB returning briefly on Boots N All yesterday and Terry O'Connor said it would be pointless having a GB team full of England players. He reiterated that it's more important to grow and develop the junior game in the other home nations, so there are more players coming through those countries. 

#38 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

4 European games every year would do far more for British RL than a three match losing series every 4 years.....

Definitely, we need to grow the sport in Europe and the only way to do that is by having a Euro based tournament. Why would the French care about a GB v Australia series? However, a 4 Nations involving England, France, Wales and Italy (picked them as they will be most competitive with their Aussies and they beat two of those teams last year), would be of far more interest to them and hopefully build the profile of RL in Europe. 

#39 BringbackGB

BringbackGB
  • Coach
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

To answer the original question. Yes, it could increase interest in the game outside the North of England and restore the game’s international prestige. I won’t hold my breath.

#40 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Edit mis-read 

Edited by Padge, 03 April 2014 - 09:27 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users