Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A lions tour is it folly?

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:26 AM

What on earth on you on about? Where did I say it was funny?  :blink:

I said it's a joke that they're going all that way and playing JUST one test, why not more? Why not play PNG and Fiji whilst in the region?

Peru are playing at Wembley, then a few days later they're playing Switzerland in Switzerland, exactly my point. 

Are you going to finance that trip to the Pacific Islands by the French?

Edited by Aucks Warriors, 04 April 2014 - 12:27 AM.

#42 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

I know that the Great Britain Lions of the past was mention by some as an England team with union converts from Wales and Scotland but a Lions team of today will probably help RL in the UK and Ireland in a big way. A Lions jersey will do wonders for Welsh, Scottish, Irish RL players and also those with Celtic connections who are born and raised in England. 

The success of the union Five/Six Nations and Heineken Cup are all link into that first Lions tours and all the tours after that.

Edited by Aucks Warriors, 04 April 2014 - 12:39 AM.

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,127 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

Definitely, we need to grow the sport in Europe and the only way to do that is by having a Euro based tournament. Why would the French care about a GB v Australia series? However, a 4 Nations involving England, France, Wales and Italy (picked them as they will be most competitive with their Aussies and they beat two of those teams last year), would be of far more interest to them and hopefully build the profile of RL in Europe. 

The trouble with that 4 Nations idea is if the Aussie Italians couldn't get released by their clubs for the tournament, if would leave Italy very thin on experience and talent.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

Iconic jersey v iconic jersey - the biggest sporting contest in RL. GB Lions v Australia - which fool wouldn't want that.

#45 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,720 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

To answer the original question. Yes, it could increase interest in the game outside the North of England and restore the game’s international prestige. I won’t hold my breath.

What do you mean 'restore' the games international prestige? It has never really had one. Even in this era that people like to wax lyrical about with Hanley etc, the criticism was that hardly any countries played the sport. Having a high standard of teams from Wales or Ireland would do 50x more for the game than satisfying some peoples rose tinted glasses view that pretending England are GB will solve all our ills - it
won't.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#46 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

Iconic jersey v iconic jersey - the biggest sporting contest in RL. GB Lions v Australia - which fool wouldn't want that.

In the 20th Century maybe, its the 21st Century now and things have evolved. The GB Lions only existed so that we could play our top union imports against the Aussies. We need a different model for a different century.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#47 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

Yes, it could increase interest in the game outside the North of England and restore the game’s international prestige.

It might be dreaming but didn't we just have the most successful RLWC with sellouts, big crowds in Cardiff and London plus Scotland, Fiji and France doing incredibly well and capturing imaginations across the country?

More competing nations playing more internationals will continue to develop the game's international prestige; the process has already started as the last RLWC proved but it needs to continue with more matches, especially for the smaller nations rather than just nostalgic dreams about GB playing for the Ashes every other year. The game MUST move forward rather than constantly looking to the past... rightly we should remember our history and heritage but we should not utilise it as the default setting as the game and the world has changed dramatically since the mid-90s when GB last had any relevance to modern RL.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#48 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

The trouble with that 4 Nations idea is if the Aussie Italians couldn't get released by their clubs for the tournament, if would leave Italy very thin on experience and talent.

If it's an official International, then unless I'm mistaken under RLIF rules the clubs must release them for it.

#49 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

What do you mean 'restore' the games international prestige? It has never really had one. Even in this era that people like to wax lyrical about with Hanley etc, the criticism was that hardly any countries played the sport. Having a high standard of teams from Wales or Ireland would do 50x more for the game than satisfying some peoples rose tinted glasses view that pretending England are GB will solve all our ills - it
won't.

Well said!  I look at things this way:

Tours where the same countries play each other over and over again = a small-time game that very few countries play, and consequently doesn't have any prestige

Such thinking goes totally against what is needed to build on last year's World Cup.

#50 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Wow, another excellent comment by you. :ok:

Yes I'm going to pay for something that the FFRXIII can quite clearly afford themselves. So you think going all the way to NZ and playing one match is good enough? That attitude is why IRL will continue to struggle. 

Just a reality check mate, the FFRXIII isn't really awash with cash to make such expensive trips to the Pacific Islands. I agree with your point on playing more games while in NZ and it should be against NZ provinces and NZ Maori.

#51 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

If it's an official International, then unless I'm mistaken under RLIF rules the clubs must release them for it.

But that relies on the players actually wanting to make themselves available for it.

#52 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Having a high standard of teams from Wales or Ireland would do 50x more for the game than satisfying some peoples rose tinted glasses view that pretending England are GB will solve all our ills - it
won't.

How long will it take to make Wales or Ireland a 'high standard'? 50 years? France have been playing league since the 1930s and still can't compete internationally with England, Aus or NZ.

#53 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

Such thinking goes totally against what is needed to build on last year's World Cup.

What is needed to build on the World Cup? From reading many posts on this subject on this forum there doesn't seem to be a general consensus.

#54 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

But that relies on the players actually wanting to make themselves available for it.

Exactly. The number of players who need urgent operations at the end of the domestic season, or simply feel the need for a 'full off season', falls dramatically when its a World Cup year. 

#55 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Just a reality check mate, the FFRXIII isn't really awash with cash to make such expensive trips to the Pacific Islands. I agree with your point on playing more games while in NZ and it should be against NZ provinces and NZ Maori.

They can't be that poor if they can afford to travel to NZ. I'm not saying they should go on an all expenses paid jaunt round the Pacific islands, I'm saying why can't they play PNG and Fiji whilst they're there. One stop off at Kokopo is hardly going to bankrupt them and they could play Fiji in NZ.The comment about them playing NZ Maori or Provinces instead is exactly the kind of attitude holding the game back, where nations would rather play these fake, invented teams than actual test matches. England did the same when they were last in the SH for the 2010 Four Nations. 

Edited by londonrlfan, 04 April 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#56 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,720 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

How long will it take to make Wales or Ireland a 'high standard'? 50 years? France have been playing league since the 1930s and still can't compete internationally with England, Aus or NZ.

France were the last team to beat Australia in a series unless I am mistaken but for whatever reason fell away.

If it takes 50 years, so be it, perhaps they should have addressed the issue 50 years ago. We need more countries playing RL to a decent level, not less. Looking for quick fixes is a major problem for RL, just for once let's stick with a long term plan.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#57 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

Me. I couldn't care less if those games were fantastic in the 60s/70s. For one, I wasn't born then and secondly, there were only four countries playing the sport at that point, so RL was heavily reliant on playing the same teams again and again. It's one of the gripes I have with following RL, some fans are so desperate to live in the past rather than move forward and see the bigger picture. 

#58 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,733 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

Gentle people of the rugby league world... please don't feed the trolls or respond to them in ways that force us to take their side.  Please play nicely.  Use the ignore or report functions rather than getting personal or abusive yourself.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#59 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

England have been playing since 1895 and still can't compete with Australia and NZ.

#60 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

England have been playing since 1895 and still can't compete with Australia and NZ.

Yes they can

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users