Polls, Referees and Really?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

Looked at the on line poll and saw refereeing coming out ahead of youth involvement and the International scene.I do think this
obsession with the subject needs a line drawing under it once and for all. Just to put it into perspective- why don't you try to make 11,000 decisions in eighty minutes with a crowd of several thousand (and Danny Brough) shouting you just got it wrong!
My wife says of her team whenever someone moans about a decision "Well they'll just have to play better won't they!" as for the
Internationals and youth development I hope they come out on top in the end because they are inextricably linked, in my opinion,
in our war against the Aussies. And for those of you who think the term war is a bit strong just look up the archive of quotes
and actions from Bob Fulton the archetypal Whinging Pom in Roo clothing! Without more international matches we won't get the means to beat the Roos and without more youths playing we'll find it hard to match their real difference now strength in depth of
people with the right kind of match experience.But don't worry about this because the referee's just given a decision in one
micro-second of one match in one season that I don't agree with and that's more important than the health of the whole game or
beating the Aussies for the first time in two centuries!

#2 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

I have to agree about the refs, there seems to be a crazy obsession with it that far outweighs any actual issues. People crying out for two refs or more money to be pumped into their training etc need to look at the NRL.

They have two refs on the pitch, two video refs at every match, two touch judges, millions pumped into trying to improve the standards, they have access to far more officials than we do, but at the end of the day has it stopped the controversial decisions? Well no, hardly at all, I see just as many contentious decisions watching an NRL game than a Super League game. Last year in a playoff knockout match a try was scored in a seven tackle set, leading to the end of a teams season.

Its an incredibly difficult job, and by and large I think they do a good job of it, they will still make mistakes but more refs and more money is a far too simplistic view of how to improve things.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,214 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Check out @rlmeltdown on Twitter - there are folks who genuinely believe there is an official RFL policy to give wrong refereeing decisions against their club. These are the nutters who will vote early and vote often on such polls.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

What poll is this, anyway?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Booza it was a totalRL poll on the news page

Futtocks the trouble is it's the "nutters" who often vote and post and insist on their version of what the topic is about and this
topic was started as the protest against this kind of rubbish determining not only the subject but the tone of the discussions.

Southstander13 - quite right- time to discuss things in terms of the reality and refs are a marginal issue as you say in terms of the health of our sport and up to now this has been based completely on personal grievances rather than what happens on the paddock!
It is not only the RFL that has a party line!

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,214 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

It's also the nutters who think that @rflrefereez is an official account.  ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users