York cup match - 2.00pm kick off

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

None of you boys mentioned Zac Johnson, who made you some tremendous yards and set some good field position.

Thought you just deserved it and probably were slightly the better side. Richie Hawkyard was superb all day and James Brown had a heck of a game too. Mike Morrison and Jacque Peet were others who impressed me.

We didnt play as well as we have this season and the injury to Iain Morrison hampered our go forward after the break.

Thought the officiating was pretty poor for both sides and, though I hate to see red cards, if that wasnt, then there never will be !

Anybody know what the on-report involving Richie Hawkyard and Jake Joynt was about ?

All the best against Keighley - if your boys put the same effort there quarter finals is a distinct possibility !

#62 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Andyacko I take it you arn't the same Andy who came on Radio M/cr.
According to him Swinton was the worst team ever and the ref biased towards Swinton.
I agree the high tackle on your lad deserved at least a sin bin and that may have happened had your no 6 not decided to get involved, but then York could easily have lost a player for a similar offence a little later.
Good tough York side who's only downfall was keeping with the pace at times you will no doubt be in the mix come the end of the season.
Just to mention Swinton were down to just 16 players today a at least 4 of the were between the ages of 18 & 19 so great credit to the lads proud of all of them.

#63 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 906 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

15 tremendous gritty performances today, 1 unlucky Freddy and a warm bench thanks to Mick Nanyn! Welcome to Chris Atkins who had a great game seeing as it was his first. Bring on Keighly and one final thing. KASH WATKINS. BELIEVE!!!!! With a bit of confidence you could turn into a good player!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#64 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Did it the hard way today so a big pat on the back for all the lads.

Mark Thomas pulled out of the team on Sunday morning when his wife gave birth ( Congratulations Mark )

Mick Nanyn was injured and sat on the bench for the whole game but could have been used if really needed.

Ritchie Hawkyard wasn't fully fit he was having hamstring problems all week.

Freddie Walker got injured during the game and has gone to hospital for x-rays

Jack Cooper, Liam Fishwick and Anthony Bowman all injured .

Nice debut from Chris Atkin

Riggy

#65 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

None of you boys mentioned Zac Johnson, who made you some tremendous yards and set some good field position.

Thought you just deserved it and probably were slightly the better side. Richie Hawkyard was superb all day and James Brown had a heck of a game too. Mike Morrison and Jacque Peet were others who impressed me.

We didnt play as well as we have this season and the injury to Iain Morrison hampered our go forward after the break.

Thought the officiating was pretty poor for both sides and, though I hate to see red cards, if that wasnt, then there never will be !

Anybody know what the on-report involving Richie Hawkyard and Jake Joynt was about ?

All the best against Keighley - if your boys put the same effort there quarter finals is a distinct possibility !

Hi Andy

The on report was for possible gouging when Darren Hawkyard scored his second. The York man was on report

Riggy

#66 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

bump

#67 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Cheers Ian.

No it wasnt me, Marshy - I'm nowhere near that one-eyed !

The decision on the high tackle is awkward. I do some refereeing ( different sport ) and, when out there, am always of the opinion that if it's not deliberate and malicious, then some leniency should be shown and Worthington challenge didnt seem to be either of those so maybe a bin would have sufficed.

Have to say also that the right side of our defence was shown up very badly in that first half when they constantly got their numbers wrong.

..and, of course I forgot Darren Hawkyard who is a belting player by anyone's standards..

#68 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

I think ref was poor for both teams today - also we were lucky not to have been down to 12 men and that the York player was not seriously injured - but clearly from our player's demeanour after the tackle that it was not done with malice but rather poor timing. Then few minutes later a spear tackle is missed by all the officials..........three good opportunities were not taken on the left side had they been then possibly York may not have come back into the match as strongly as they did.

I think we moved the ball really well at times today and I agree that all the team played well and Kash just needs to work on timing his runs better. Atkins and Peet played well as others have mentioned.

As for radio Manchester - I was dismayed when Jack Dearden asked for anyone from the Swinton or Rochdale games to phone and tell him about them..........I believe BBC Radio York were covering today's match so why couldn't their commentary be piped into Radio Manchester and why cover the Warrington match and not the Rochdale / Leigh match - well of course I know the reason........SL teams are always first choice.

I find it mainly frustrating listening to Radio Manchester these days as all news and coverage is focussed on SL clubs...........moan over, let win next week as well.

#69 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

BBC Radio York's commentary was available, Wayne, online to one and all.

#70 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

Hi Wayne r

I phoned the GMR studio before the game and as they were using radio Merseyside's coverage of the St Helens game and the Humberside coverage of Warrington they told me only to ring them with the half time and full time score so that's what they got. You see I did try. And I have also sent a full match report to the evening news  and there is no danger of that getting in !!

Riggy

#71 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

Nothing wrong with the Atkins try. Watkins looks onside, but he doesn't knock the ball back anyway, it goes forward off the York player and straight to Atkins. The grounding looks fine too. Also, cant see any issue with gouging for Daz's second try, unless it was somewhere in the build up. Anyway, judge for yourselves, buy the dvd and enjoy our third win of 2014!

#72 mickburkes boots

mickburkes boots
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Hopefully the lions will go well, good bit of income for the club

#73 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

Down to the bare bones today (3 on the bench and only 1 forward) so a tremendous effort from the forwards (thought Morrison was doing the full 80 minutes at one point) Also some great kicking from Peet helped and a try and drop goal from Atkin on his debut to see it through.

Message to Watto.....catching practice from the kick off. Two dropped against barrow and three today I believe! Makes it a hard way to win games

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#74 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

bump

#75 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

Well done lads today - a win was important for us and thats we got against a good York side -remembering we were in the mix with them last season against going down and I'm sure they will be fighting for the top position, but being realistic we should have won more easily than we did - we looked with the ball in hand much the faster team but made basic mistakes - but as they say a wins a win and most important we are into the next round - not the ideal draw but could be worse - we can beat Keighley at home and then hopefully get the draw we really need (for me Wigan at home would be deal) to bring much needed finance into the club

#76 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

Ive just done a bit of research on Chris Atkin.
I don't think I was alone yesterday in not remembering him signing for us
He was man of the match in the 2013 student world cup final against the aussies and Widnes fans seemed upset that he left when their u20s was disbanded
He showed some nice little touches yesterday
Have we found our quick half back at last?

Edited by mark richardson, 07 April 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#77 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

I agree Atkin looked good and full of confidence as did Peet.

#78 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 906 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

I spoke to his Dad yesterday. He is a good 'un!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#79 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

His dad? Get him signed on.

#80 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Think is was Atkin who threw out the long pass to Peet for his try.

Sweet pass.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users