Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Keegan Hirst

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

I think that there are some really unfair comments on here re KH.  He faded during the really warm spell that we had last year but otherwise played well for us.  He lacks the pace to break the line but often made good yards with players on his back.  We often looked a better side when the big guys, which included KH, came off the bench, and I sure would have liked to have seen him come on with Rowe this afternoon.

#22 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 605 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

I agree Bill. There are topics on here from the last 2 seasons with lots of praise from supporters for Keegan. I'm sure it would be the same should he return in the future.

#23 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

Some people have short memories. He had some very good games for us - some of the comments on here are bang out of order. I'd have him back tomorrow, personally.

#24 BirstallDog

BirstallDog
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

Top man Keegan.....had some great games for us in my opinion.

#25 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

I thought Keegan improved his game immensely on what he had done elsewhere during his first season but seemed to drop a level last year.  Didn't seem to have the same intensity to me.  Was hoping that he would step it up further and become a real threat but it never seemed to materialise.

#26 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

well we needed some impact. :bb: :download:  is he DR... am sending my granny up for a shirt for sunday.

#27 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

To be fair on Keegan, how many forwards do we have that draw 3 and 4 men in to tackle them every time they get the ball? He did, yes he might have been slow and not run on to the ball as much as some would have liked but it always took 3 and 4 men to tackle him, meaning they were pulled out of position creating spaces.

I'm a big fan of Baz, but he never draws 3 and 4 men in to tackle him, 2 at most. Other than Rowe we don't have anyone else in the team that can do it either. In fact how many others can you name in the division? Not many I'll bet.

He was awesome in the playoffs too, IMO he had some of his best games for us towards the end of the season and was as good as anyone. It is also quite telling that out of all the players that left us at the end of the season, he will have played as many times as anyone else, maybe with the exception of Mennell, Fev have so many props to pick from, and yet they pick him most weeks. Luck? I don't think so.

Sorry DistantDog I should have read your post first. It echo's my own sentiments exactly.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 15 May 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#28 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

well we needed some impact. :bb: :download: is he DR... am sending my granny up for a shirt for sunday.

cant do nothing right in your eyes unless george or moore or ash come back winds me up

#29 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

cant do nothing right in your eyes unless george or moore or ash come back winds me up

why would you be happy i sang from the rooftops, i would have one flanny over a dozen hirsts as he plays to his max, and if you read back moore wernt on my list, i say it like it is for a reason but if you rather i rave keegan so as not to wind you up then fair enough, i did say if fev couldent get him to run thru players nobody would, i dont talk out my rear end as i have watched keegan since his first games years back at moor and at boys,he looks good but he should be able to bust thru players and he cant, first time i seen alex walmsley you just knew he were going onto great things withing 10 minutes of seen him and keegans double his size, hes a nice lad and the very rare times have seen him get himself would up hes played great, look at size a stenny and tommy g to see how he should be able to bust thru the defence,i really thought he would a made sommat with the move to fev and he wont ever get a better chance, i hope he as a massive game sunday for us and maybe lift rest a team as we do need a lift, bulling players up if there not performing aint the done thing but if am proved wrong i will be first to say so, :hunter:

#30 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Was there a "sale or return" clause in bastion's signings?
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#31 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

Was there a "sale or return" clause in bastion's signings?

Hope so

#32 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:27 PM

We all thought Keegan would be useless when we signed him, and he turned out to be a very good prop in my opinion. Think the same will happen with Brennan, a bit of coaching from Kear and he'll come good, people need to remember he's only 20 and is far from the finished article!!

With Brennon I have not seen much sign of improvement so far what i have seen is a lack of stamina His fitness leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

Edited by greavesy, 15 May 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#33 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

As for Keegan i hope he does come back as other supporters have said he takes some bringing down even from a standing start if Kear could get him to run from a little deeper he could damage teams as Walmsley did. Even so coming of the bench he could be a impact player and get us moving forward. All we need now is a centre , winger, hooker, Loose forward , line breaking back rower, Scrum half. Oh never mind just beat Sheffield and give us Supporters a massive shot in the arm and hope to beat the drop. :rolleyes:  :tongue:    

#34 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

He cant do any worse then the props we have currently.

I just hope he's learnt to drive the ball in at pace from deep while away from the mount.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#35 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

Or maybe he was fed up of the car drive over to Featherstone........... ;)

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#36 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

Or maybe he was fed up of the car drive over to Featherstone........... ;)

Cars in Featherstone - are you sure?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#37 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

Fev have announced tonight that Keegan has moved to Batley on loan. Does not say whether it is for a month or rest of the season.

#38 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:42 PM

He won't be back at Fev just wasn't good enough. Sometimes players leave clubs and don't come up to scratch when they arrive so it looks like you have got him back unless Fax want him I hope he does well for you again and wish him well as I do Batley

#39 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

He won't be back at Fev just wasn't good enough. Sometimes players leave clubs and don't come up to scratch when they arrive so it looks like you have got him back unless Fax want him I hope he does well for you again and wish him well as I do Batley

Odd that he was good enough to play regularly in a top five side for the last two seasons - one that also made the Grand Final and beat the mighty Featherstone on the way. Ever thought that your standards might be a little too high?

Posted Image

#40 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:27 AM

Odd that he was good enough to play regularly in a top five side for the last two seasons - one that also made the Grand Final and beat the mighty Featherstone on the way. Ever thought that your standards might be a little too high?

Eh, better teams have higher standards, thats how they become better teams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users