Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Keegan Hirst

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

However, A question for you "what do you think FN expects to get out of his interest in Fev"?

As hes a businessman id assume hes after a profit.

As theres not much profit to be made in our game, even if you win everything every season, and as someone with no history with the club or the village, will he really have Rovers best interests at heart in order to make his money?

Maybe hes got wind theres a coal revival on the horizon and has earmarked POR for a new colliery.

Whatever his motives, it all seems very fishy.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#62 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

As theres not much profit to be made in our game, even if you win everything every season, and as someone with no history with the club or the village, will he really have Rovers best interests at heart in order to make his money?

Maybe hes got wind theres a coal revival on the horizon and has earmarked POR for a new colliery.

As he's hardly an Abramovich-esque philanthropist who can throw a few billion down the toilet and smugly grin, I'd suggest the same.

Posted Image

#63 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

Wow, into 4 pages!! Lost sight of the original topic which was Keegan Hirst back at The Mount (I do wish we'd stop calling it The Love RL.com Stadium) I was one who thought that he didn't improve greatly over the 3 seasons we had him, yes he took a few men to tackle him, but I was always concerned about his ability to wind himself up for a charge onto the ball as I've remarked before. I couldn't see what John Bastian saw in him to make his move other than thinking that he should sign half of Batley's side just because we did Fev in the play-offs and thought he'd better weaken us in case we did it again!! However, and it's credit to Keegan, as he must read some of the posts criticising him, he's come back and I think he has put a bit of zip into his game and at the same time as the rest of the team seem to have realised that they are actually half decent players. To have scored 44, 26 and 33 points in the last 3 games has probably amazed most fans who were struggling to see where points were going to come from during that long agonising spell. So, if Hirst is up for it, a helping hand from Mullaley and Johnson, who I happen to think is the best of the bunch from Giants, and our new found confidence I don't think it'll be too long before we're shifting up a gear in the table. Keighley, Barrow and N.Wales should bring points and that will set us up for the returns with Dewsbury and Doncaster who have got to be our realistic goals if we are to nick a home draw in the play-offs

#64 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

what position do you have to finish in for a home play off game ?

#65 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

1 2 3 or 4 th isn't it?

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#66 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hirst didn't improve in his time with us? Did you actually attend the games?

He was the biggest improver over his time with us.

Edited by M Hopkins, 15 June 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#67 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 631 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

Buford, thanks for the response.

Why do you believe that he is in it for a profit? As you point out there is little to no money in Rugby league so unlikely to see a return on his investment. In the same way that Abramovich is unlikely to turn much of a profit at Chelsea.

Maybe he is just in it for the kudos?

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#68 BirstallDog

BirstallDog
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

Why do you believe that he is in it for a profit? As you point out there is little to no money in Rugby league so unlikely to see a return on his investment. In the same way that Abramovich is unlikely to turn much of a profit at Chelsea.

;) Now come on Grinder...are you really that naïve ?

#69 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

For all the chopping and changing their set up seems slightly jaded and seem far from challenging leigh. As for donny were are their superstars keeping them afloat?!

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#70 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Am i mistaken here but its a batley forum ? Then on thread named keegan hurst as now become a all lets moan about fev ? Lets just get back to talking about batley not moaning in on about fev dont get this moaning about them trying to get to super league leave them to do what ever it is they want this thread is getting silly now . So lets try talking about batley isnt that why its called a batley bulldogs not moan about fev forum ???????

#71 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 631 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

;) Now come on Grinder...are you really that naïve ?

BD,

You know I'm not that naive and have some real concerns. Do you think that Abramovich (who is also very much a business man) will make a profit at Chelsea, if not why is he investing so much money, surly it has to be kudos? And if that is the case then why couldn't FN do it on a smaller scale in Rugby League?

However I am at a loss to explain FN interest in Fev if it isn't kudos. Yes the club has some land so maybe FN wants the club to fail and then take the land for himself (which is what has been suggested above). Fev have tried to get planning permision on this same land, but failed because it is on greenbelt land. On top of this, the way the limited company is set up makes it difficult to do anything with the land without the majority of share holders allowing it (in a one man one vote situation).

Likewise if he was looking at getting anything back from his investment why did he get involved with a number of county cricket teams, the C*s and Fax in rugby league before settling on Fev? All of which would never give him a return?

At the end of the day, as has been said above, he is a business man and therefore you have to assume that he has gone into all these relationships understaning what he is likely to get out of it (nothing money wise). And if that is the case what is in the relasionship other than Kudos?

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#72 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Why else would someone with no connection to a small club in a pit village suddenly swoop in and throw a load of money at it?

And if he was in it just for the Kudos, he'd have gone in with a much bigger club than Featherstone - unless all the other clubs told him to go away, which im led to believe is highly likely to have happened.

The influence of his ownership is also showing on the field by the looks of it,  your performances arent ujp to scratch as the squad is too big and players are being chopped and chan ged far too regularly, so theres no consistency - what happens if he gets bored and pulls out? is there a plan B? or will Featherstone just be left with huge debts they are unable to service?

If i were a Featherstone fan, id be very uncomfortable with what is unfolding, this is not the way forward for a small club.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#73 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

As has been mentioned above, why are we having this debate on the Bulldogs forum? Surely we should be discussing the never say die attitude of the Bulldogs squad which is part of the reason some players want to join ( or rejoin as the case maybe)

#74 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

As has been mentioned above, why are we having this debate on the Bulldogs forum? Surely we should be discussing the never say die attitude of the Bulldogs squad which is part of the reason some players want to join ( or rejoin as the case maybe)

Why not?

#75 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

If people want to debate Fev on here then surely the best thing to do is to start a new topic so that those who wish to discuss/read about the topic subject are not being derailed.

#76 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

If people want to debate Fev on here then surely the best thing to do is to start a new topic so that those who wish to discuss/read about the topic subject are not being derailed.

ls there not room for both? Why worry about it?

#77 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Wish all these people who think they know what's best for Fev would come and support us. As some has said this was about a player who has gone back to Batley heard he played well on Sunday is it a coincidence that you are playing well since his return or has he made a difference to your team

#78 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

Wish all these people who think they know what's best for Fev would come and support us. As some has said this was about a player who has gone back to Batley heard he played well on Sunday is it a coincidence that you are playing well since his return or has he made a difference to your team

Well it is probably a number of elements coming together at once, the return of Hirst being a small part. Having Ben Black return has probably given Leatherbarrow a bit more guidance. Also greater stability in team selection has given the new players a chance to gel which in turn gave JK a better knowledge of what his best team is. Finally, the return of Hirst has brought a player back who's game is understood by the supporters and more importantly the coach, thus giving Hirst the confidence he had last year but doesn't seem to have developed this season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users