Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ref for Sunday.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

Mr Sharpe, cant remember having him before.

#2 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

Where's Jamie Bloem gone? ;)

#3 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

We have got Jamie at Swinton !

#4 The Collector

The Collector
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

We have got Jamie at Swinton !

You lucky lucky people!!!!

#5 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

We've got to get out of this attitude towards officials and suspected leanings.  Most fans only seem to rmember the 'bad' decisions they get and not when they seem to get a 'good' one.  No referee in history has ever passed forward, knocked on, fallen off a tackle or scored a try!

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#6 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Correc, but they do sometimes make poor decisions about forward passes, knock ons etc, and some referees are more inclined to make these mistakes than others.  I don't think anyone is saying they are biased against Hornets, just that like players, some are better at their job than others.

Anyway, provided he leaves his white stick in the room and doesn't let the guide dog poop on the floor I don't care.

#7 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

Clint Sharrad who we had a few times in C1 was our luckiest, cant remember losing a game with him.Also Chris Leatherbarrow our GFref,had a blinder.Pen in front of posts at 18-18,cant be bad. We had him at Donny with Stanky he had a brilliant game. The only time we won at the Keepmoat.

I prefer refs who are consistent with the minimum of whistle.

#8 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

Had a shocker today for both teams, Mr Sharpe he certainly was not!

Edited by ormskirknet, 06 April 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#9 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

We've got to get out of this attitude towards officials and suspected leanings.  Most fans only seem to rmember the 'bad' decisions they get and not when they seem to get a 'good' one.  No referee in history has ever passed forward, knocked on, fallen off a tackle or scored a try!

Pugwash.

Bang on there mate!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#10 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Great game of rugby today. We ran Leigh as close as you can and not win. But for slow spells in the first ten minutes of each half we had them rocking. We didn't really get the rub of the green, we had what I thought was a perfectly good try ruled out when their guy dropped the ball near the line,

Turning down the chance to convert those penalties from right in front of the posts was a definite mistake. Especially as we went on to drop the ball right away each time we ran it ! I thought Cookie had good kicking game especially in the second half but he chose the wrong option when he hacked the ball on into touch instead of picking it up and going for the line. I suppose he didn't know both of the chasing Leigh players had fallen over leaving the line wide open.

All in all you couldn't fault the effort and commitment and the way we fought back each time but we need to get smarter on our opponents line.

Onwards on upwards, I'm sure if we play like that next week we'll be more successful.

The Leigh directors were cock a hoop in the bar when the draw for the next round was televised. Looking at todays respective scores I wouldn't be so confident playing Fev. Not many teams will put 60 odd unanswered points on Crusaders this season.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 06 April 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#11 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

Not sure about going for the two points beneath the sticks. Thought Hornets were tiring a fair bit at that point despite coming back into the game nicely. It would've needed a really big effort to go from one end of the pitch to the other if they'd kicked the goal and I'm not sure they had that in them at that point. That tiredness really showed with some lazy balls out of dummy half and the knock ons that followed when leigh were down to 12.

Thought the referee was a little iffy but probably not helped with shouts of offside and forward at virtually every play the ball and pass. I think those shouting might need a quick read of the boy who cried wolf. You have to pick your moments a little better if you want to influence the ref. Also, had someone just behind me launch into a foul mouthed rant with about twenty minutes to go. I couldn't care less about the language but if I was reffing I doubt I'd be thinking 'Well that gentleman with the big gob is probably right to question my parentage and vision, I think I'll be keeping a closer eye on the offsides for his team from here on in'.

#12 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

Not sure about going for the two points beneath the sticks. Thought Hornets were tiring a fair bit at that point despite coming back into the game nicely. It would've needed a really big effort to go from one end of the pitch to the other if they'd kicked the goal and I'm not sure they had that in them at that point. That tiredness really showed with some lazy balls out of dummy half and the knock ons that followed when leigh were down to 12.

Thought the referee was a little iffy but probably not helped with shouts of offside and forward at virtually every play the ball and pass. I think those shouting might need a quick read of the boy who cried wolf. You have to pick your moments a little better if you want to influence the ref. Also, had someone just behind me launch into a foul mouthed rant with about twenty minutes to go. I couldn't care less about the language but if I was reffing I doubt I'd be thinking 'Well that gentleman with the big gob is probably right to question my parentage and vision, I think I'll be keeping a closer eye on the offsides for his team from here on in'.

We got to the other end enough times to blow three sets of six on the first tackle twenty yards out.

#13 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

Interestingly,League Weekly only gave Mr Sharpe 30 out of 100 ( the lowest I think I've ever seen) for his efforts yesterday, and even the report questions some of his decisions

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#14 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

We got to the other end enough times to blow three sets of six on the first tackle twenty yards out.

They were from mistakes by Leigh, not from a long kick return. Hornets also blew their last attacking chance with another knock on around the 40m line. Very frustrating but it was a great effort to get back into it, just not quite enough to close the gap. Bodes well for the next couple of weeks if nowt else.

#15 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

They were from mistakes by Leigh, not from a long kick return. Hornets also blew their last attacking chance with another knock on around the 40m line. Very frustrating but it was a great effort to get back into it, just not quite enough to close the gap. Bodes well for the next couple of weeks if nowt else.

If you look deeply into most tries you could say they come from mistakes by the opposition at some point. Especially at our level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users