League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Tetley's Challenge Cup - Fourth Round Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you be watching any of these games? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be watching any of these games?

1. I'll watch the BBC televised game only. (25 votes [46.30%])

Percentage of vote: 46.30%

2. I'll watch the BBC televised game and attend one other game. (16 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

3. I'll watch the BBC televised game and attend more than one other game. (2 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

4. I won't watch the BBC televised game but I will attend one other game. (9 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. I won't watch the BBC televised game but I will attend more than one other game. (1 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

6. I won't watch the BBC televised game or attend any other game. (1 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#401 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Bdummmm tschhhhh

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#402 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

When emotion is involved objectivity can go straight out the window. What we feel about an event is often different from what happened. I try and be reasonably objective. This means my posts are not as entertaining as those of people who have a good old rant! 

Talking of emotion, it seemed to me that D Brough didn't handle the emotions in the last 15 mins of the game as well as L Walsh did. Walsh had been worked up earlier and pushed Jerry McGilvray at the play the ball and he was lucky to get the penalty.  He calmed himself down though and slotted the kick. Danny B looked anything but calm in the last 15 minutes.

Sometimes you have to take the brough with the smooth.  :ph34r:

I spent years supporting the Saints home and away with my cousin and endured her constant bias towards the Saints and rubbishing the referee. My view is that dubious decisions will go for your own club and against and nothing will change the score once the whistle has blown. I certainly don't go in for wishing other sides get slaughtered out of spite. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 08 April 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#403 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

I spent years supporting the Saints home and away with my cousin and endured her constant bias towards the Saints and rubbishing the referee. My view is that dubious decisions will go for your own club and against and nothing will change the score once the whistle has blown. I certainly don't go in for wishing other sides get slaughtered out of spite. 

Aye. Hudds haven't had much luck recently it seems but that will change, particularly if they start playing a bit more consistently!

Edited by longboard, 08 April 2014 - 10:18 PM.

#404 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hi there. I'm a scientist...maybe I can put a definitive end to this controversy.As a completely disinterested observer and neutral Wigan fan, I can say without fear of contradiction... it WAS a drop goal

#405 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

i

Hi John,

It's called the X Factor! ;)

You might have it this season as well
! More competitive than for a good few years.

#406 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

Hi there. I'm a scientist...maybe I can put a definitive end to this controversy.As a completely disinterested observer and neutral Wigan fan, I can say without fear of contradiction... it WAS a drop goal

I agree.

Are you a Christian Scientist?

#407 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,864 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

Ah,that old chestnut,the old "Leeds players intimidating the ref".Pull the other one.If that was the case wouldn't Leeds get every call going.Yet another ABL rears it's ugly head.

I sincerely hope you've done your ref's course and officiated a few games in order to justify the opinion of ref's not being intimidated or influenced by the players. Because unless you've been there and done it, how can you know?...
Posted Image

#408 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

I sincerely hope you've done your ref's course and officiated a few games in order to justify the opinion of ref's not being intimidated or influenced by the players. Because unless you've been there and done it, how can you know?...

Yes I have.Next.

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#409 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,167 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

I watched the highlights on SLS last night.  Regardless of the drop goal controversy, it was obvious (Andrew Henderson even said so) that the penalty that tied the scores shouldn't have been awarded, he lost the ball and Bentham gave Saints another penalty. TBH I think Bentham's one-eyed performance amounted to more than mistakes.  Every 50/50 decision in the last twenty, and some that weren't so 50/50 went to Saints.  I've always had a soft spot for Saints because they're known to play attractive football, but on Saturday they deserved to lose, they didn't because of Bentham.  A major high profile game, and a refereeing performance like that does nothing but bad for the stature of the game.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#410 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

I watched the highlights on SLS last night.  Regardless of the drop goal controversy, it was obvious (Andrew Henderson even said so) that the penalty that tied the scores shouldn't have been awarded, he lost the ball and Bentham gave Saints another penalty. TBH I think Bentham's one-eyed performance amounted to more than mistakes.  Every 50/50 decision in the last twenty, and some that weren't so 50/50 went to Saints.  I've always had a soft spot for Saints because they're known to play attractive football, but on Saturday they deserved to lose, they didn't because of Bentham.  A major high profile game, and a refereeing performance like that does nothing but bad for the stature of the game.

Hendo didn't say it was obvious.  He didn't agree it was a penalty.  If you watch the match on TV though the Hudds player did have his hands in.  Whether it was enough to loosen the ball is another matter.  Either way, that only brought Saints level.  Hudds still had time to win the game.

#411 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

Hendo didn't say it was obvious. He didn't agree it was a penalty. If you watch the match on TV though the Hudds player did have his hands in. Whether it was enough to loosen the ball is another matter. Either way, that only brought Saints level. Hudds still had time to win the game.

This sort of penalty is one of my biggest gripes. Unless it is a clear rip, the onus should be on the player to hold tightly onto the ball. I dont think that particular penalty should have been given because the player dropped it through poor play

#412 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,864 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

Yes I have.Next.

Just checking. I'd hate to think you were a hypocrite.
Posted Image

#413 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

This sort of penalty is one of my biggest gripes. Unless it is a clear rip, the onus should be on the player to hold tightly onto the ball. I dont think that particular penalty should have been given because the player dropped it through poor play

I'd agree that's fine in the tackle but once the tackles complete and your trying to play the ball the defender shouldn't have his hands in.

#414 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,167 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

I'd agree that's fine in the tackle but once the tackles complete and your trying to play the ball the defender shouldn't have his hands in.

He was doing no more than you see every week without a penalty resulting.  After that decision I was confidently expect Bentham to penalise Huddersfield for own feet in the scrum, after all it's there in the laws.

Edited by Trojan, 09 April 2014 - 06:01 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#415 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

He was doing no more than you see every week without a penalty resulting.  After that decision I was confidently expect Bentham to penalise Huddersfield for own feet in the scrum, after all it's there in the laws.

Can't agree with that. If there's a hand in after the tackle is completed and the ball comes free, it's almost always given as interference.

As bobbruce says, before the tackle is completed is an entirely different matter and is more likely to be seen as a loose carry.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#416 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

He was doing no more than you see every week without a penalty resulting. After that decision I was confidently expect Bentham to penalise Huddersfield for own feet in the scrum, after all it's there in the laws.

I thought it was a soft one but if the defender wasn't trying to slow the PTB down and kept his hand out he wouldn't of been done. That one and the drop goal I thought could've gone either way. I'm surprised everyone's ignoring the one Bentham really got wrong. The penalty against mcgivalry for doing nothing infact if he'd reversed the penalty for Walshs reaction I wouldn't of complained.

#417 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

http://www.dailymail...an-Dragons.html

Please tell me you are kidding! When did he say this?

If you remember the interview a few nods towards the croud also took place!

#418 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,864 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

I thought it was a soft one but if the defender wasn't trying to slow the PTB down and kept his hand out he wouldn't of been done. That one and the drop goal I thought could've gone either way. I'm surprised everyone's ignoring the one Bentham really got wrong. The penalty against mcgivalry for doing nothing infact if he'd reversed the penalty for Walshs reaction I wouldn't of complained.

I was fuming at that. Walsh basically won a penalty for going for someone that did nothing wrong. What on Earth could Bentham say to justify giving that penalty?

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC, 09 April 2014 - 10:29 PM.

Posted Image

#419 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

I was fuming at that. Walsh basically won a penalty for going for someone that did nothing wrong. What on Earth could Bentham say to justify giving that penalty?

hands in trying to rip out the ball after the tackle was complete

#420 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

Sky confirmed using both camera angles that the drop goal missed, (boots n all) they said the referee was correctly placed and blamed the posts not being high enough for the cameras and croud to correctly judge where the ball was as it crossed the try line.... (where the crossbar is)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users