Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Tetley's Challenge Cup - Fourth Round Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you be watching any of these games? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be watching any of these games?

1. I'll watch the BBC televised game only. (25 votes [46.30%])

Percentage of vote: 46.30%

2. I'll watch the BBC televised game and attend one other game. (16 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

3. I'll watch the BBC televised game and attend more than one other game. (2 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

4. I won't watch the BBC televised game but I will attend one other game. (9 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. I won't watch the BBC televised game but I will attend more than one other game. (1 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

6. I won't watch the BBC televised game or attend any other game. (1 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#421 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,596 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:45 AM

hands in trying to rip out the ball after the tackle was complete

Err, not really. He was controlling the ruck, which you're allowed to do. It's not tick and pass.

The ball didn't come free, and the referee wasn't going to give a penalty until Walsh got up and started on McGilvray.

You don't give penalties for "trying to rip the ball out". It either comes out or you're slowing the play-the-ball. Neither happened.
Posted Image

#422 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

I thought it was a soft one but if the defender wasn't trying to slow the PTB down and kept his hand out he wouldn't of been done. That one and the drop goal I thought could've gone either way. I'm surprised everyone's ignoring the one Bentham really got wrong. The penalty against mcgivalry for doing nothing infact if he'd reversed the penalty for Walshs reaction I wouldn't of complained.

Err, not really. He was controlling the ruck, which you're allowed to do. It's not tick and pass.

The ball didn't come free, and the referee wasn't going to give a penalty until Walsh got up and started on McGilvray.

You don't give penalties for "trying to rip the ball out". It either comes out or you're slowing the play-the-ball. Neither happened.

Agreed. That was a terrible call, it was Walsh who probably should've been penalised for his reaction.

Edited by MrFussy, 10 April 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#423 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Agreed. That was a terrible call, it was Walsh who probably should've been penalised for his reaction.

Nah.  Walsh played that well I thought.  I like his feistiness.  If you get an elbow in you in the tackle then you should make a show of it.  He did, and won us a useful penalty.

#424 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Nah.  Walsh played that well I thought.  I like his feistiness.  If you get an elbow in you in the tackle then you should make a show of it.  He did, and won us a useful penalty.

I like it too, but Bentham still made the wrong call. Not that I'm complaining about it :biggrin: 

Edited by MrFussy, 10 April 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#425 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

Nah. Walsh played that well I thought. I like his feistiness. If you get an elbow in you in the tackle then you should make a show of it. He did, and won us a useful penalty.

It wasn't like that though. Had JM not tackled him,
he would have been free to continue play. All he did was leap on him to effect the tackle. He didn't flop or was the second man in so there was no reason to react like Walsh did. That's not feistiness, its trying to con the referee. ...which he did. Which isn't really fair on a ref with eyesight issues. :)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#426 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

did they use a special equation to calculate the parallax error from the camera shots?

#427 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

If the posts weren't high enough. ..etc then how could the ref have been so definite when everyone is still divided almost a week later?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#428 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,948 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

did they use a special equation to calculate the parallax error from the camera shots?

and

How did they measure the point at which the ball traversed the cross bar. 

They did no more than draw a line on a 2 dimensional screen and claim they had some amazing technology that others didn't have.

The whole thing was a crock of pooh.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#429 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

No need. Fortunately Phil Bentham has binocular vision and was perfectly placed to judge.
I'm 99.9;% certain he got it right and no amount of technology or whinging will change it.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#430 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

and

How did they measure the point at which the ball traversed the cross bar.

They did no more than draw a line on a 2 dimensional screen and claim they had some amazing technology that others didn't have.

The whole thing was a crock of pooh.

and some people are still convinced elvis was abducted by rock and roll loving aliens! And no amount of proof will change their minds,

Now they said it took hours to do it, I am presuming they looked at the clock for the milliseconds to see when it crossed who knows, now the point isnt what people think, its weather the video ref would have been consulted and on that evidence if they were then the refs would have said no goal, on another point the breakage in play would have given Huddersfield time to recompose themselves, now would that have been fair?
Finally if the issue is the post height then Huddersfield have only themselves to blame as its their posts....and if they were playing at a rugby only stadium they would have proper posts they wouldn't need to keep taking them out, which I am guessing why they have short ones!

#431 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

Threads merged.  We really don't need more threads on this subject.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#432 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

I though the subject of this thread was for the 16 CC ties?
Ref bashing.... (when the ref was right) seems to have hijacked it!

#433 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

I though the subject of this thread was for the 16 CC ties?
Ref bashing.... (when the ref was right) seems to have hijacked it!

Probably better to have two threads next round, one for the TV games (or game) + one for the others.

I did post somewhere in this thread about the Rochdale-Leigh tie which was a good un but it was never gonna get any traction on this thread when the TV tie was so controversial.

#434 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

Correct.

A cyclops may have a different opinion.

#435 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:45 PM

Correct.

A cyclops may have a different opinion.

correct reaction therefore reverse penalty...

it did look like he was trying to steal the ball though....

and a suspect elbow?

#436 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

In two days Fev have almost filled their eighth coach and sold 500 tickets for their tie at Leigh a week on Sunday. Not a bad effort from the cappers.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 16 April 2014 - 11:56 AM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users