Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Steve McNamara: Wembley froze when Johnson scored

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Whitley

Joe Whitley
  • Admin
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

We've got an exclusive interview with England boss Steve McNamara in which he discusses losing the World Cup semi final and his new role at Sydney Roosters: http://www.totalrl.c...ague-interview/

TotalRL.com Editor
Email: joe.whitley@totalrl.com
Direct line: +44 (0) 1484 404 921

#2 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

It looks like the whole international fixture programme has frozen since the World Cup.

#3 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

it is a complete FU by the rugby league its as if they are scared to follow up a great world cup.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

I froze when Mcnamara was appointed England coach.

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

I froze in Halifax at the Tonga/Italy match

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

Wembley froze about twenty minutes into the Australia-Fiji game. By halftime I couldn't feel my extremities.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#7 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

I froze in Halifax at the Tonga/Italy match

Me too, jeez it was cold that day!

#8 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

That Johnson try was one of the most deflating scores I have ever experienced. Still gutted thinking about it! 

#9 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

That Johnson try was one of the most deflating scores I have ever experienced. Still gutted thinking about it! 

i sank back into my seat and didn't raise my head for two minutes at least, i was gutted.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#10 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

i sank back into my seat and didn't raise my head for two minutes at least, i was gutted.

The rest of the weekend was a blur; spent much of the second game in my seat but remember absolutely nothing about it... I am still haunted by the episode now; truly heartbreaking!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#11 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

I recorded it and watched it around 9pm, wanted to smash my kitchen up when he scored that try, couldn't speak for about 10 minutes then just shouted ###### extremely very loud.
Literally the most gutted I've ever been, even moreso than when York got robbed by the VR in the 2004 playoff final.

It's time to park the camels.

#12 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

I hold a grudge against that guy, I don't mind telling you. Johnson I mean.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,780 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

I've got it saved on my PVR and keep meaning to watch it again, because it was such an amazing match, and there were so many good things about England's performance. 

But I'm just not quite ready to watch it because of the last 30 seconds.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

I've watched the match 5 times. I often turn the last minute off. The wife has come into the front room many times and has heard me say "just how did we lose that" to myself over and over.

We had some wire fans behind us singing about going to the final. My mates kept telling them to shut up. I don't know why but I blame them.

#15 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

We had some wire fans behind us singing about going to the final. My mates kept telling them to shut up. I don't know why but I blame them.

They need to share the blame with the people behind me who said "we've got this in the bag"

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

I've watched the match 5 times. I often turn the last minute off. The wife has come into the front room many times and has heard me say "just how did we lose that" to myself over and over.

Like Futtocks, I still have it on my Sky box, but not managed to get round to watching it again yet, not even the first 79 minutes.

Sport at its very, very best. Also, sport at its most painful.

Edited by Dave T, 04 April 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

It was one of the most surreal experiences I have ever been part of. Everything seemed to go in slow motion and silent - everybody around us just looked like they wanted to cry, including my Scottish partner who has never cheered for England at anything in her life.

Actually, maybe it was her fault!  :angry:

#18 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Why didn't we put the ball in touch :(

#19 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

It was the best game I've ever watched, the kind you watch again and again.

It was also the most gutted I've ever been and I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users