Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hillsborough

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'm going to break ranks a bit here. I thought all this was just down to scousers just not accepting responsibility for their actions, and always wanting to blame someone else. I believed the 'official' line and thought why don’t they just let it drop.[/size]
 [/size]
However, since the last disclosure, I could not have been more wrong. The people affected by Hillsborough deserve recognition, in that they took on the establishment, they persisted for many years, they did not 'just let it drop' they knew that the people who were supposedly responsible for the safety on that day failed, they knew that these failings were covered up. To take on the power and influence of the establishment and win is quite some achievement, even in today’s free and open society.[/size]

I'm going to add a bit more to my original declaration.

At the time I was friends with one of the survivors, his life was saved by a Nots Forrest fan on the pitch. He was interviewed that afternoon on the tele in hospital as he was recovering. At the time this guy was no angel, he had a bit of petty form, and was known to the police.

The guy who saved his life, the Forrest fan, was also known to the police about football related disorder. My friend told me that initially the Forrest fans thought it was a bit of aggro and a few went on the pitch to sort it.

BUT, as the extent of what was happing became clear, the thoughts of violence disintegrated into concern and helping your fellow man, hence this other guy helped.

I always wonder if this guy on the tele, precipitated the claims. The following week in work quite a few people bought the 'they were all hooligans' line and used my friends appearance to back it up

In any case from following football as a kid during that time the attitude of the police appeared to be that everyone was a hooligan.

The legacy of hilsborough is that all stadiums are now safer and attending a football match is now far more civilised.

#42 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

i read GJ's post as talking about people now not checking facts rather than at the time.Could be wrong tho.

I came to the conclusion I did simply because most of the posts he was referring to seemed to be about then, rather than now, although I could be wrong also!

#43 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Not so. It was an attack on someone who didn't agree with him.

#44 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

I have to thank GJ for sharing this on twitter: Alan Hansen remembers Hillsborough

I have to say the whole of the Liverpool club, players and management, reacted marvellously, showing genuine compassion and dignity both then and now.  

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#45 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,117 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

I have to thank GJ for sharing this on twitter: Alan Hansen remembers Hillsborough

I have to say the whole of the Liverpool club, players and management, reacted marvellously, showing genuine compassion and dignity both then and now.  

Thank you for sharing that on here. I hadn't seen that but I think it sums so many things up so well.

28m391z.jpg

#46 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

To think that anyone thought Liverpool fans could be to blame just highlights the warped nature of some people in our society. With the benefit if hindsight. I knew soon after, the tragedy, that stadium had been a disaster waiting to happen.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#47 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

To think that anyone thought Liverpool fans could be to blame just highlights the warped nature of some people in our society. With the benefit if hindsight. I knew soon after, the tragedy, that stadium had been a disaster waiting to happen.

I think you have to take into account the situation at the time. This may have made people susceptible to believe the worst of the fans outside the ground.  That why is was so easy for the police version of events to be taken seriously by the media and by the population at large.

A watershed in the history of English football hooliganism was the Heysel disaster of 1985, in which a "charge" by Liverpool fans at rival Juventus supporters caused a wall to collapse, resulting in 39 deaths. English teams were banned from European club competitions until 1990, and during this time, substantial efforts were made by the police to bring the problem under control. 

In 1985, incidents involving spectators gaining access to the playing area and mass fights breaking out between opposing groups at matches at Chelsea and Luton Town grounds were caught on television for all to see. Football hooliganism had become a serious social problem in England

#48 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

I think you have to take into account the situation at the time. This may have made people susceptible to believe the worst of the fans outside the ground.  That why is was so easy for the police version of events to be taken seriously by the media and by the population at large.

A watershed in the history of English football hooliganism was the Heysel disaster of 1985, in which a "charge" by Liverpool fans at rival Juventus supporters caused a wall to collapse, resulting in 39 deaths. English teams were banned from European club competitions until 1990, and during this time, substantial efforts were made by the police to bring the problem under control. 

In 1985, incidents involving spectators gaining access to the playing area and mass fights breaking out between opposing groups at matches at Chelsea and Luton Town grounds were caught on television for all to see. Football hooliganism had become a serious social problem in England

I stood in that central section, just in front of the main entrance during the 1974 semi between Burnley and Newcastle. It was before the Leppings Lane standing area had been divided into sections. Even then, it was the most uncomfortable I had ever been in a crowd.  And they were housing the lesser supported team in that side of the ground.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#49 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

I stood in that central section, just in front of the main entrance during the 1974 semi between Burnley and Newcastle. It was before the Leppings Lane standing area had been divided into sections. Even then, it was the most uncomfortable I had ever been in a crowd. And they were housing the lesser supported team in that side of the ground.

Not forgetting the crushes of 87 and 88 (Leeds and Liverpool) in the same place.

There is a photo on Twitter of 87 showing Leeds fans being pulled out of the ceteral pens from the seating area above.

Edited by Griff9of13, 12 April 2014 - 12:57 PM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#50 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

Another good article from the Telegraph: We all share in the shame of Hillsborough

#51 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:30 PM

There are many reasons why Hillsborough happened. The FA's decision to give Forest the Kop and Liverpool the Leppings Lane, the police not checking tickets on the approach to the ground as in previous years therefore stopping the build up at the turnstiles, the opening of the gate without stopping fans from entering the central pens and there are probably of other errors of judgement. All mistakes that led to 96 deaths, but only mistakes.

The cover up after is unforgivable and people need to be brought to account for that alone.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 12 April 2014 - 11:34 PM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#52 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

An eye witness account from someone I know who was there: Death Loves A Crowd

#53 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,122 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

ESPN's incredible documentary series 30 for 30 has now done 'Hillsborough'.

It has drawn very positive reviews from the US press.

It's on YouTube but be warned it is very, very disturbing.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#54 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

ESPN's incredible documentary series 30 for 30 has now done 'Hillsborough'.

It has drawn very positive reviews from the US press.

It's on YouTube but be warned it is very, very disturbing.

Thanks fro sharing that. Not an easy watch, but informative. Good to see the police on the ground getting to tell their story as well. 

#55 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,833 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

Sometimes I really wonder about people...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#56 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:50 AM

if this is true...and it very much looks like it is, then heads really must roll.

#57 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:31 AM

Few heads have rolled for the original offense.  Kelvin McKenzie, the police chiefs and politicians who organised it are still walking free.  Him writing this nonsense five years ago would have been considered a bit off five years ago but nothing more.  

One more **** timing his trolling badly just seems trivial in the overall scheme of things.

Edited by Bob8, 25 April 2014 - 07:31 AM.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#58 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

An excellent article from USA Today: Hillsborough pain, memories linger for Liverpool

#59 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy has a go, to good effect IMO:

"The Cathedral bell, tolled, could never tell;
nor the Liver Birds, mute in their stone spell;
nor the Mersey, though seagulls wailed, cursed, overhead,
in no language for the slandered dead...
not the raw, red throat of the Kop, keening,
or the cops' words, censored of meaning;
not the clock, slow handclapping the coroner's deadline,
or the memo to Thatcher, or the tabloid headline...
but fathers told of their daughters; the names of sons
on the lips of their mothers like prayers; lost ones
honoured for bitter years by orphan, cousin, wife -
not a matter of football, but of life.
Over this great city, light after long dark;
Truth, the sweet silver song of the lark."

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users