TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Famous Good Eggs

do they exist

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

I was watching the Will.I.Am documentary at the weekend and this got me thinking, how many people who make it to become famous, actually stay grounded and give back to the community they grew up in.

Good 'ol Will has spent millions in a rough part of LA educating kids and giving as much back to the community as his time can permit. He doesn't seem to have any vices, keeps in touch with his family and keeps on the right side of the law.

So how many do we have in our society? David Beckham? No, couldn't keep his hands to himself. So who are our wholesome heroes and heroins?

#2 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

So who are our wholesome heroes and heroins?

Pete Docherty? :ph34r:   Sorry.

Seriously though Will.i.am is called will.i.am, he may do a lot of good work for charity (great mate)  but he isn't grounded.

Edit: on the grounds of disclosure can I say I can't stand the fella.

Edited by MikeW, 03 April 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#3 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

Drogba

#4 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

Bellamy (Craig, not David)

#5 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Drogba

why

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

Drogba

why

See here

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

My hero is a guy called Col. John Blashford-Snell OBE. In fairness he was born to privilege but he has given a heck of a lot back.

He formed Operation Raleigh and Operation Drake to inspire and get kids active, and formed the Scientific Exploration Society for adults to do the same. Before I met him I was turning in to a couch potato. After seeing him give a presentation and a brief but funny chat with him afterwards I've been on three expeditions with the SES, including tracking wild elephants in Nepal as part of a nature conservation survey, searching for the lost Inca city of Paititi in Bolivia, and diving on a previously uncharted structure of the south east coast of India with Monty Halls and Graham Hancock. (the first two expeditions were led by Blashers himself).

He does lots of work with children and schools and still leads expeditions even though he's 77!

He is a real legend!

#8 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

My hero is a guy called Col. John Blashford-Snell OBE. In fairness he was born to privilege but he has given a heck of a lot back.

He formed Operation Raleigh and Operation Drake to inspire and get kids active, and formed the Scientific Exploration Society for adults to do the same. Before I met him I was turning in to a couch potato. After seeing him give a presentation and a brief but funny chat with him afterwards I've been on three expeditions with the SES, including tracking wild elephants in Nepal as part of a nature conservation survey, searching for the lost Inca city of Paititi in Bolivia, and diving on a previously uncharted structure of the south east coast of India with Monty Halls and Graham Hancock. (the first two expeditions were led by Blashers himself).

He does lots of work with children and schools and still leads expeditions even though he's 77!

He is a real legend!

Didn't he once deliver a grand piano to a remote tribe somewhere because they asked him for one the last time he was there?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#9 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

Yes he did! A friend of mine was on that expedition as well. The Wiwi tribe or something like that. 

Of course there was the question of whether they were serious when they asked him for the piano in the first place. That said they also did a lot a sanitation work and dug wells to get fresh water for the tribe as well so it worked out well even if they were a bit surprised about the piano.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

I find Will.i.am's music astonishingly bland and insipid, but in his projects outside the recording studio, he appears to be an absolute dynamo and a force for good in general.

Jamie Oliver has also put his name and reputation on the line in many positive projects. The added bonus being that he has less time to appear on TV and annoy me. ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

Sir Edmund Hillary?

Not entirely sure of his personal life but he achieved much good in the Lukla and Khumbu regions around the Everest National Park for the locals...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,514 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Doesn't will.i.am also donate all his earnings from appearing on The Voice to charities for inner city kids?
Can't knock the guy.

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

Doesn't will.i.am also donate all his earnings from appearing on The Voice to charities for inner city kids?
Can't knock the guy.

He certainly gets involved.

Here's another unlikely hero - Madonna's ex, and practically a person in his own right, Sean Penn went to Haiti after the earthquake to look into organising fundraising, but ended up living there for much of each year, sharing a 3-bedroom house with 20 other people and running the charity himself from the front line.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

And I posted this before, but this is what happened when Beatriz Tinoco met Roger Federer.

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

Bill and Melissa Gates and I really hate to say this, Bob Geldorf.

Edited by JohnM, 03 April 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Bill and Melissa Gates and I really hate to say this, Bob Geldorf.

Again, with Geldof, it does keep him out of the recording studio. Double good!

#17 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Jessica Ennis, does a lot of charity work with young kids and also a very humble sports person. 

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,514 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

I do a lot of work for charity but I don't like to talk about it.

#19 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

See here

I never knew that. Puts to shame some of the heroic swimathons we get shoved at us on TV

#20 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

I find Will.i.am's music astonishingly bland and insipid, but in his projects outside the recording studio, he appears to be an absolute dynamo and a force for good in general.

Jamie Oliver has also put his name and reputation on the line in many positive projects. The added bonus being that he has less time to appear on TV and annoy me. ;)

Oliver....I can't help wondering whether his good natured acts were as beneficial to his pocket as the kids' well being and careers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users