Swinton High School

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

Today myself & Marshy had a very productive & worthwhile meeting with Mr Mark Harrison, head of Swinton High School (which is now an independent academy).

We discussed the use of the school as a possible centre for club community development work, and how the school itself might assist in those goals. We hope to engage the students with an ongoing presence from the club, including lectures, player involvement, displays, joint projects, tickets etc.

Most exciting perhaps is the school's impressive record on accessing grants, and they soon hope to construct a top class training facility on site, including the latest 3G AstroTurf pitch, which is suitable for pro RL training in all weathers. In other words hopefully a permanent training base for the club in the centre of the town.

Early days at present, but this is something both parties are extremely keen to explore and expand upon over the coming months. The Supporters Trust will also play a key part. More info to follow as it develops.

#2 STU WILLY

STU WILLY
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Great news Steve,hope it's just the first step to get the club back home.

Edited by STU WILLY, 03 April 2014 - 03:51 PM.

Stu Willy

#3 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Sounds good. Viva Crommy! (school motto 'carpe diem')

Can't be bad, the school (my alma mata) has historic rugby league links with both the club and area in general having produced many 'old boys' who went on to serve the Lions across the decades - Barry Simpson, Brian Robinson, Derek Whitehead, Graham Williams, Reg Williams, Vic Lawton and John Carey just to mention a few from 'my era'.

#4 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Add to that Les & Mike Holiday, Steve Snape and Mark Shiels.

#5 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

Superb idea gentleman
Keep up the good work

#6 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

Excellent although just a shame it doesn't involve The towns premier educational establishment Moorside High.

#7 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

The would be the but hey that's what you get from the towns premier educational establishment. Lol.

#8 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

I think you'll find that although the schooling in Swinton enabled all of us to achieve greatness it isn't a patch on that available in nearby towns

#9 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

By the way if anyone has any suggestions as to the type of thing you'd like to see us pursue with the school, feel free to let us know.

#10 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

Would be great to have say an open evening at the school where any rugby league minded ex pupils could revisit to reinforce a link with Swinton Lions maybe set up a Hall of Fame of old boys who have made the grade in Rugby League - lets reinforce every link with Swinton Lions prior to our move back into the town - what a great pleasure it would be for me to revisit 'Crommy' from my days in the 50s

#11 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

Class of 63 we can facilitate that now, the head is very proactive and will allow us the use of what was the main hall. I struggled to remember parts of the school such is the work being carried out. This really is a great step for the Lions returning to the community.

#12 Peewagg

Peewagg
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

I would LOVE to see a well made and narrated DVD version of 'The Lions of Swinton', Steve, but I guess this would be a Cecil B Demille style epic! :-)
A 10-15 minute short history DVD would be great for presentations in schools, made by pupils themselves.

#13 lancaster Lion

lancaster Lion
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

The dvd is an excellent idea. I also like the idea of the pupils being involved. The link between Swinton Lions and the First World War is very relevant to the children's education. Many of the schools are teaching the history of 1914-1918 this term. The match programme has included fascinating historical articles. The dvd is a great way of spreading the history of the club to new potential supporters.

#14 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Both Steve and I will be reporting back to the trust regarding our meeting with the school and hopefully many of the ideas on here can come to fruition.

#15 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

There was a short history video presentation of every club done during the Centenary season of the RFL in 1995.As I recall we watched ours in the social club at Gigg Lane after a midweek game I'm pretty certain Eddie Hemmings was thereSurely Sky must still have the footage somewhere that could be made into a DVD?

#16 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

One of the most important things that is rarely taught is the enjoyment of WATCHING live sport.
Most interaction involving sporting clubs is about playing and coaching .
In truth I'm sure though many of us dabbled at playing our true enjoyment has come as a fan.
Ive no idea how this can be done..merely sharing my point of view

#17 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:30 AM

Mark, the point of view of fans was one of the things picked up when the Trust did the heritage project. There were recordings of fans memories as well of those of players and club officials of years gone by. All the material is available to Swinton High as it is to any local school or group.
www.swintonlionstales.co.uk

We are looking to put the heritage project display boxes which are currently in Swinton Library in a prominent position in SHS as soon as possible.
The Lions and the Supporters' Trust....back in the local community!

Edited by Paul Davidson, 09 April 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#18 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:30 AM

Great stuff Paul
All positive moves.

#19 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

Worth a look. AgeUk SWINTON & Irwell Valley History group
7 hrs ยท
Hello Swintoners, 80 new "old" pics added yesterday to our album SWINTON LIONS. New members please "like" our SWINTON HISTORY page with over 500 pics & 22 albums (lots more to add shortly). We are very grateful if you forward to interested family & friends too. Better still , please get in touch if u have any new suitable "oldies" to add. Or best of all call into our warm & friendley open AgeUk Crtchley Cafe on Chorley Rd., Swinton & pop them in for us to scan. Thanks https://www.facebook...82024826&type=3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users