Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So who is the Salford coach?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Just had a look at Dr K's twitter feed to see the reaction on last night's game and it looks as though Salford are about to replace Brian Noble as coach. Koukash tweets 'Brian Noble has been offered the position of " Director of Football ". We hope he will accept to continue with his excellent work'.

Not sure where that leaves Salford. Obviously there has been contact with Iestyn Harris but there's also rumours around Shane Flanagan from Cronulla. Can't see that though as Flanagan has just resigned with Cronulla despite currently being banned.

Anyone got any more details on this? Seems an odd choice if it is Harris as he really doesn't feel like an upgrade on Noble.

#2 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

Noble to Director of Rugby, Harris as head coach and Flanagan as consultant along with Longy.  That's one salary roster Dr K has there!  He certainly means business.

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

Big players with big egos in that dressing room?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Flanaghan is to help set up the youth streams.

Harris as head coach supported bt Hay and Donlan, not sure about it all but this season is just even more of a roller coaster ride

#5 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

says Harris head coach on twitter

#6 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

Seems odd changing things now,I don't think Harris is head coach material and it doesn't seem a certainty that Noble will stay as director of Rugby.Could be a backwards step for the club.Time will tell.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

Looks like Flanagan will be short term until he can restart at Sharks.

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Dr K has confirmed on Twitter that Iestyn Harris will be head coach as from Monday.  I think that's a mistake by Koukash there as Harris did naff all with the Wales team in the World Cup and Noble has had his main players out injured for most of the season so far.  I wonder if there has been bitching by some of the players?  They must be a handful to manage.

#9 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 916 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

Seems a crazy decision ousting a decent experienced coach and replacing him with the inexperienced Harris. I think Koukash is having one here, panicking because the team aren't meeting his unrealistic expectations. Noble needed time, they've had a lot of new players and injuries haven't helped.

#10 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

The team spirit seems ok, the tactics have been poor, Noble has been like a dinosaur at times in the last 18 months. Its been difficult to see what he has been trying to achieve.

Not sure about Harris unless it is a stop gap.... Can't say I'm overly bothered what Noble decides.

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

If Dr K had gone for Harris day one, Harris may well have been reluctant to get involved.

Maybe, and purely a guess, the plan has always been Nobby as a stop gap, hence the 12 month contract, until they can tempt someone else. If Nobby takes the upstairs job then I'll hazard a guess that that was the plan. Unless Nobby takes it and jumps ship as soon as soon as any offer comes in.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#12 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

I,d be surprised if Noble takes on the new role.It just feels like actions a struggling Premiership soccer team would take.What are the odds on another coach by July?

#13 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

Noble Awarded Salford Job last April , I believe a 18 month deal, after Koukash uncremoniously booted Veivers out . so he's got form , if the owner thinks the set-ups not right he doesn't hang about.  nothing is out of the ordinary..

played 24  won  6 SL, + 1 CC. are the stats in is tenure.   

Iestyn Harris rumours started about the time Long came back into the fold ' on a consultancy basis.

New coaching set up mentions nothing about Stuart Donlan?

so it's definately

Iestyn Harris Head Coach

Sean Long - assistant  

Andy Hay - assisitant

stated in that order by Koukash, with Offers to Noble for ' New Role ' as Director of Football .. & Shane Flanagan  to come in on a consultancy from  Cronulla, to be  used in an advisory role regarding the development of young players.

Koukash “I feel Flanagan’s expertise in offering advice on how to bring our own quality players through the system would be very beneficial.

“He can help us put the right structures in place because I cannot keep spending all my money on signing top players! We also need to be developing our own players.

“He can certainly advise us on this."

If so Alan Hunte ?

#14 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

Basket case club, trying to do it all at once instead of building.

#15 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

http://www.wiganwarr...?id=9197&type=1

wigan confirm Harris departure after approach ' last week '

#16 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

Basket case club, trying to do it all at once instead of building.

Maybe, or maybe he is trying to correct the culture?  He did say on his interview for the Superstars programme, did Dr K, that when he first joined the club he found that nobody cared about performances, including the coach (Vievers).  In his words it was as if they had 'won the Grand Final' (casual/arrogant).  Perhaps he suspected things were going the same way and realises he needs to stick a rocket up the players' backsides?  Or maybe the players were not being sufficiently professional and he needed to show them that nobody is beyond his reach?  If those theories are remotely accurate - and who is to say what his reasons are? - then I actually wouldn't blame him for doing what he has done.  Salford have for too long had an unprofessional club culture and Dr K will have the fans in mind (not least in terms of revenue) when wanting to get the best out of the personnel he has.  Must say, on the few times I have seen them, Theo Fages has shown up a number of the senior players in terms of effort.

#17 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

Sporting Life says Iestyn Harris will be the new head coach at Salford: http://www.sportingl...t-as-coach-ends.

#18 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

The Good Doctor certainly knows how to play the media game, he tweets stuff and gets it spreading, he knows Manchester Radio are covering the Wigan game tonight and he held the pre match discussion. He had the half time discussion. Now just into the second half he has  more discussion in a break in play.

He has also had it announced during the Wigan - Dewsbury game that he'll be on TV shortly, and Manchester Radio are saying if you want more find it.

He's a one man insane publicity machine.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#19 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

I love Marwen !

Hope he has a brother. Harris is a shrewd recruit, young experienced and ready for his first head coach role

#20 Stash

Stash
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Not the same Jestyn Harris whose Welsh Team lost to the USA?, assistant coach of USA? A Salford man born and bred.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users