Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So who is the Salford coach?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

The Good Doctor certainly knows how to play the media game, he tweets stuff and gets it spreading, he knows Manchester Radio are covering the Wigan game tonight and he held the pre match discussion. He had the half time discussion. Now just into the second half he has  more discussion in a break in play.

He has also had it announced during the Wigan - Dewsbury game that he'll be on TV shortly, and Manchester Radio are saying if you want more find it.

He's a one man insane publicity machine.

Yep.  Those who call him an idiot are well off course.  He's very shrewd.  But I'm not so sure he's got the right man in Harris.  Big risk.

#22 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

Nobby is supposed to be on Fighting Talk on 5 Live tomorrow - could be interesting if he doesn't pull out!
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#23 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

Nobby is supposed to be on Fighting Talk on 5 Live tomorrow - could be interesting if he doesn't pull out!

He is due to be on the BBC too - at the match on Sunday and on the Superleague Show. 

#24 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

"Basket case club, trying to do it all at once instead of building" oh dear and Really!
"I told you so...."
"You never listen....."
"You want to get to t'Top six? Well, I wouldn't start from here!"

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,140 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

I suppose winning a Challenge Cup tie in golden point extra time just didn't excite him enough.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#26 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

"Basket case club, trying to do it all at once instead of building" oh dear and Really!
"I told you so...."
"You never listen....."
"You want to get to t'Top six? Well, I wouldn't start from here!"

Now,now, Marwan.No need to be like that!

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#27 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

He is due to be on the BBC too - at the match on Sunday and on the Superleague Show.

Yep (5 Live is the BBC too by the way), but Fighting Talk is a bit "pull no punches" rather than standard punditry. Thinking about it, he'll certainly be on the proper coverage but maybe not in the morning.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 04 April 2014 - 08:42 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#28 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

I suppose winning a Challenge Cup tie in golden point extra time just didn't excite him enough.

It was probably more to do with the 36 points they conceded on the way to the extra time win that didn't especially excite him!

#29 DimmestStar

DimmestStar
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

The new coach will be Mandy Koukash the fulfillment of her moment long ambition.

#30 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

At the end of the day you need to give people time. Rome wasn't built in a day. For Noble to be given the elbow is classic short term thinking, as he hasn't disgraced himself so far. Harris will do no better a job and will probably do worse because he hasn't got the experience and had no hand in building the team. Noble is a proven coach who knows the game and in time we all expected the Salford team to click. Not right away but eventually they would be a decent team. Right now they start again and the eventually is up in the air as to whether they will ever be a good team.

I've been cautious on Koucash although I've tended to give him the benefit of the doubt and at least believed his passion but this is unprofessional. It's all a bit too Vincent Tan.

#31 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

At the end of the day you need to give people time. Rome wasn't built in a day. For Noble to be given the elbow is classic short term thinking, as he hasn't disgraced himself so far. Harris will do no better a job and will probably do worse because he hasn't got the experience and had no hand in building the team. Noble is a proven coach who knows the game and in time we all expected the Salford team to click. Not right away but eventually they would be a decent team. Right now they start again and the eventually is up in the air as to whether they will ever be a good team.

I've been cautious on Koucash although I've tended to give him the benefit of the doubt and at least believed his passion but this is unprofessional. It's all a bit too Vincent Tan.

This looks a tad political....

Nobby wants to bring in iestyn but iestyn wont move unless hes head coach (and why would he)?

So iestyn is head coach, coaching the team.... and nobby director of football....in charge of youth, signings etc...

At crusaders Nobby was head coach in charge of signings youth etc... his assistant was in charge of coaching the team......

doesnt look much different in job description to me (other than job title)......

#32 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

This looks a tad political....

Nobby wants to bring in iestyn but iestyn wont move unless hes head coach (and why would he)?

So iestyn is head coach, coaching the team.... and nobby director of football....in charge of youth, signings etc...

At crusaders Nobby was head coach in charge of signings youth etc... his assistant was in charge of coaching the team......

doesnt look much different in job description to me (other than job title)......

Except Koukash said himself it was his own decision to remove Noble, rendering your reading between the lines totally irrelevant.

#33 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,081 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

Except Koukash said himself it was his own decision to remove Noble, rendering your reading between the lines totally irrelevant.

Dr K is a media player, he wants it to be controversial, no good saying "as agreed when Brian was given the coaching role that when we found the right man he would move on... blah blah blah"

Better when you can get Manchester Radio using its Wigan listener power to attract attention to announce a controversial change. 

BANG everybody wants know whats happening.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#34 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

How can they bring Flanagan in? Isn't he under suspension from the NRL? Don't the RFL have a policy of applying suspensions incurred in other leagues - especially in relation to alleged banned substances offences?

#35 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Fool and his money springs to mine

#36 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Fool and his money springs to mine

it worked for man city and Warrington to a lesser extent!

#37 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:57 PM

As a Crusaders RL fan at the time that Iestyn took over the reigns from Nobby; all I can say is good luck Salford. Expect to see the skills you have been signed for coached right out of you. Expect despondency, a lack of leadership and nobody there to provide support when the going gets tough. Iestyn is NOT your man

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

it worked for man city and Warrington to a lesser extent!

which bit here compares to Wire?
Cullen was given a long time, Lowes took over, was a disaster and replaced by a top coach.

#39 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

Koukash is looking like 'Abramovitch-Lite'. Should fit a revolving door at the AJ Bell for when the results don't happen instantly.

Or maybe it's the yin and yang to the other red Manchester side holding on to their manager for too long. (apologies for putting two round ball references in the post!)

#40 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,405 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

I've been mostly positive about Dr K., but this seems premature, to say the least.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users