• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

I love Marwen !

Hope he has a brother. Harris is a shrewd recruit, young experienced and ready for his first head coach role

No chance he will make a good head coach, trust me.

#42 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

I'm amazed that anyone with even the barest sporting knowledge would expect to change everything overnight. For sure, there are limits, but firing a bloke half a dozen games into the season and before his squad have even played anything like sufficient games together comes across as knee-jerk and not the actions of a rational man.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#43 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

Seems a crazy decision ousting a decent experienced coach and replacing him with the inexperienced Harris. I think Koukash is having one here, panicking because the team aren't meeting his unrealistic expectations. Noble needed time, they've had a lot of new players and injuries haven't helped.

I disagree....some coaches...like Noble lose their hunger and desire...they become media persona's and this is what has happened to Noble.

He has lost sight of the Hard graft mentality (which Shaun Wane clearly has), and this is an excellent move for Harris despite the failure of Wales at International level.

[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#44 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

I disagree....some coaches...like Noble lose their hunger and desire...they become media persona's and this is what has happened to Noble.

He has lost sight of the Hard graft mentality (which Shaun Wane clearly has), and this is an excellent move for Harris despite the failure of Wales at International level.

It's an excellent move for Harris but I'm not sure you could say the same for Salford. I don't think he's ever given any indication he's head coach material. It seems just like a rash, impulsive decision at a time when Salford finally seem to be moving in the right direction.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#45 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Nobbys success at the Bulls was built on a huge pack and huge backs, and a game plan of 5 tackles and kick trying to tire out the opposition, He hasn't been able to replicate that any clubs where he has coached since.

#46 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

I've been mostly positive about Dr K., but this seems premature, to say the least.

While on the surface it does seem premature, there may be more to it than meets the eye. A few days ago, before any of this became known, someone - a Wigan fan, apparently - came on to the Salford subforum of RLFans to tell us he's heard "from a reliable source" (isn't it always?) that Nobby had lost the dressing room and would be replaced in the not too distant future. Normally, you take rumours like this with a pinch of salt the size of Siberia, but susbsequent events do lend some credence to this one.

Maybe there was a hint of things not being entirely right in the coaching set up a few weeks ago when they brought Sean Long back. Our attack has improved beyond recognition since (although the return of Rangi may go some way to explaining that).

Replacing him with Iestyn Harris, though, is unexpectved to say the least. Only time will tell if this is a mess or a masterstroke.

#47 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Judging from Nobles talk on radio 5L, ' jobless' he doesn't look to be taking on any other job at Salford any time soon .
He seems far more comfortable being media friendly on radio & tv.
Done a great job establishing a decent set up at salford and helping recruit a reasonable set of guys with the Drs cash.
Now we just need to get someone to make them play as a team and Darrell Powell's not available. ?..

#48 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

Nobbys success at the Bulls was built on a huge pack and huge backs, and a game plan of 5 tackles and kick trying to tire out the opposition, He hasn't been able to replicate that any clubs where he has coached since.

To be fair, Nobby did do pretty well at Celtic Crusaders with a small budget and a fair selection of Welsh players. He got them to the play-offs which was quite a feat.

About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#49 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

While on the surface it does seem premature, there may be more to it than meets the eye. A few days ago, before any of this became known, someone - a Wigan fan, apparently - came on to the Salford subforum of RLFans to tell us he's heard "from a reliable source" (isn't it always?) that Nobby had lost the dressing room and would be replaced in the not too distant future. Normally, you take rumours like this with a pinch of salt the size of Siberia, but susbsequent events do lend some credence to this one.

Maybe there was a hint of things not being entirely right in the coaching set up a few weeks ago when they brought Sean Long back. Our attack has improved beyond recognition since (although the return of Rangi may go some way to explaining that).

Replacing him with Iestyn Harris, though, is unexpectved to say the least. Only time will tell if this is a mess or a masterstroke.

Well something had put a spring in the players' step between Friday and Thursday. Maybe the news had cheered them up.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#50 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

If he's lost the dressing room and Marwan feels it's time for a change, I get that, bring someone new in, no problems. I don't know what the mood in the camp is and he does and he's the man providing the cash. But as he likes to go for big names that make a splash in the news and (hopefully) bring in more punters, Iestyn Harris does not come anywhere near fitting that bill. If anything, judging by the reaction on here, it's an underwhelming appointment and that was the point when I first posted, it just didn't seem like Dr K's cup of tea.

Here was a chance to spend a bit and not worry about the salary cap. I wouldn't expect Wayne Bennett to drop what he's doing and fly over to take the reins but I would've thought there was a bigger, more proven name out there if a change is to be made.

This isn't to knock Harris, I'll be hoping he can continue the decent start to the season by Nobby. Just seems an odd appointment.

#51 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,677 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

That doesn't sound like the team I watched, featuring Robbie and Henry Paul, Shontayne Hape, Tevita Vaikona and Lesley Vainikolo.

Just think how good players they could have been if Nobby hadn't had them spending half the game barging and the other half chasing kicks.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#52 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

To be fair, Nobby did do pretty well at Celtic Crusaders with a small budget and a fair selection of Welsh players. He got them to the play-offs which was quite a feat.

He didn't do too badly at Wigan either.

#53 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

What I don't get is Koukash is always banging the marquee signings drum yet signs up Iestyn Harris as coach. There is no salary cap on coaches, he could have head hunted a decent NRL coach if he didn't mind splashing out. Instead he goes downmarket.

#54 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

didnt the Crusaders finish bottom the year before and after his year in charge when they just so happened to finish in the play offs? Sounds like a good coach to me.....

#55 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

He didn't do too badly at Wigan either.

Aye, saves the club from the drop, rebuilt the club, brought youngsters through and then gets replaced by maguire who brings in a few short term aussies ( wasn't it because an aussie team cheated the cap they became available? ) and stole the glory!

#56 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

What I don't get is Koukash is always banging the marquee signings drum yet signs up Iestyn Harris as coach. There is no salary cap on coaches, he could have head hunted a decent NRL coach if he didn't mind splashing out. Instead he goes downmarket.

nobby obviously agrees otherwise he wouldn't still be at the club? I dont think its as straightforward as the average total RL'er is making out. ...

#57 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

Is he still at the club though? Dr. K only said he was "offered" the position upstairs. Hearing Nobby on Fighting Talk this morning, it implied that "offer" was not so politely declined.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 05 April 2014 - 11:32 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#58 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,842 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Another kneejerk decision from Salford's increasingly erratic Chairman. I think Padge is right; he knows how to work the media and enjoys the spotlight it puts on him. Sadly, when he realises that Salford can no longer quench his thirst for personal publicity, he'll get bored and move on.

Those who defend him are having to to further and further-fetched lengths to find method in his madness. Harris will be a classic yes-man.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#59 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Really felt for Nobby listening to him talking to Chappers just then. The bloke was clearly very angry and upset.

#60 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Dr Marwen gets another 10 mins publicity at start of Challenge cup coverage on Beeb. Can't we kust get him onto celebrity big brother? That should quench his thirst.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users