Wigan match

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:04 AM

Well played boys, you gave it a good shot, the score line does not reflect the game.
Thought our forwards were well up for this game.
We have got to learn how to play the ref like Wigan did.
Any news on the injured players.

#2 Superdave

Superdave
  • Players
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:58 AM

We have got to learn how to play the ref like Wigan did.

Or we have to get Refs who are not susceptible to being  conned. (one for the RFL)

To be fair today I did not have a massive amount to complain about.  I have always said if you give a ref an opportunity to make a decision you give him the opportunity to make that decision wrongly. So; tackle clean, don't mess around at the play of the ball and dont "ball steal". Simples.

There were some "off side" calls today that I, for one, could not sort unless with video help but thats just how it is sometimes.

#3 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

The lads gave 100%. Probably the best game I've seen in 14 years!

#4 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 444 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

Great effort from the boys 2 night score did not reflect the game. Wigan's superior fitness levels told in the end though. The boys can hold there heads up high proud fan utr :)

#5 SharpesRams

SharpesRams
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

Rugby League is a game that once it starts slipping away it slips away big time. Scores often do not reflect the effort that was put in. This is one such occasion. For 50 minutes we matched them then the fitness of full time players began to take effect. The early loss of Brown meant we were a playmaker and a substitute light for much of the game. MoM was wrong. It should have gone to all 17. One of those days when you feel proud to be a supporter. Let's hope some of our new fans stay for the less glamorous matches, UTR.

#6 MirfieldRams

MirfieldRams
  • Coach
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:29 AM

I was sat amongst a lot of pie eaters and whilst the normal kn*bheads were the, most were very complimentary to how we played.

For me the positives
Fantastic team effort, I could pick a few out for special mention but won't, it would be a little unfair to rest
very few knock ons against really tough tackling, played an expansive game like Wigan
our tackling!!, more round the legs than any other game for a long time. Keep it up
in the game for 60 mins and best team 3rd quarter of game
stopped them scoring for 37 mins
Attendance an revenue

Negatives
Fatigue in last quarter but too be expected, had given their all
Brown injury
Ref!, I know he didn't loss us the games but penalty count enabled better field position for them.

Looking forward now to rest of the season. Well played again lads, you did us all proud and yourselves
Up The Rams

Mirfield Rams

#7 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

It was a great performance, our players will have had a day at work before playing, a 5 day turnaround compared to Wigan's and one substitute less with Brown's early injury, so we were always liable to fatigue.

But we gave them a game for 50 minutes and especially after the two early tries showed great resilience to get back into the game.

#8 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

very few knock ons against really tough tackling, played an expansive game like Wigan
our tackling!!, more round the legs than any other game for a long time. Keep it up
in the game for 60 mins and best team 3rd quarter

superb effort and as you say I can't remember a single knock on and the completion rate must have been the best of the season? Play like that from now on and top six easily within our grasp. Shame about the Brown injury, let's hope it's not too serious.

#9 jakJTB

jakJTB
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

just posted this in another thread of a similar nature

i had a great night out at your club last night. brought the mrs to her first ever game and she loved it. 

you men played really well and kept us shut out quite well for the first 60 mins or so, i do feel like you had some dodgy decisions go against you from the officials (disallowed try etc) but for 60 mins you competed well against us. the atmosphere was brilliant down behind the sticks, we were stood with some of your fans who were having a good laugh with us and your mascot even got involved at some points. was great to see Karl Pryce laughing at some of our songs about him and giving us the thumbs up (none malicious) and overall a cracking game of rugby league!

the gap between super league and championship however was plane to see, although you played really well for the first 60 mins you could tell for the last 20 that we just went rampant, this is something that the rfl needs to come in and see what can be done to even out this gap!

overall thou, a class night in a great stadium with questionably tasting beer but with class opposition fans for banter! top draw Dauuusbuurryyy! Karl Pryce, Karl Pryce, Karl Pryce, Karl Pryce, Karl Pryce, He tucks his C##k into his sock! Karl Pryce! Karl Pryce Karl Pryce Karl Pryce! 

#10 jakJTB

jakJTB
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

as a follow up, Browns injury looked really bad from behind the sticks, his knee looked like it had popped out or something and he was in some serious pain the lad! 

#11 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

What a game!

I was talking with someone from management at the club yesterday morning, and we discussed the game and how we expected it to go. We were very realistic about our expectations, but hoped we would make a good show of ourselves and show the RL community just who we are, what a great set up we have got, and the direction in which we are headed.

The fact Shaun Wane sent a full strength squad shows the respect that Wigan had for us. The fact that just after half time we were 6 - 12 down shows the effort and heart that we played with, and the fact that every single supporter in the Tetley's Stadium stood to applaud us at full time shows we won the respect of the Rugby League community.

Prior to the game I dealt with hundreds of tweets and messages of luck from all over the world and from supporters of just about every club in the game. After the game I dealt with hundreds more congratulating us on our efforts - Even now they continue to come in!

At half time someone said to me "they will be talking about this in 20 years" and everyone around us agreed.

Last night we showed the RL community who we are, what we do and how we do it, the game was drenched in heart and spirit and for our efforts we won the respect of Rugby League.

And really, you cant ask for more than that.

Edited by Official Rams Updates, 05 April 2014 - 11:19 AM.

Follow us on twitter @DewsburyRams

Facebook: https://www.facebook...buryrams?ref=hl

Our website: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/

Email: info@dewsburyrams.co.uk

#12 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

The difference between a top SL team and a Championship side was plain to see. How we would have fared against London or Bradford or Wakefield would have been more interesting.

On another note, the media benefit of playing on a Friday night was there to see. Live interview with GM on BBC Look North, BBC Radio Leeds full match commentary, result on BBC Breakfast news this morning! more journalists at the game - all more than we would have had for a Sunday game.

And as GM pointed out in the programme, more recovery time for the players before the Swinton game.

#13 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed last evening. The score most certainly flattered Wigan, with help from two of the officials at least. As we tired in the last twenty minutes so they moved up a couple of gears with fine backing up (as you would expect from a top SL team) and some gaps left by tired bodies. A particular negative aspect for me from Wigan (and the SL clubs in general) is the amount of forward passes which go "unnoticed", plus their head high tackles, especially from Pettybourne.

I was mightily impressed by our spirit, endeavour, call it what you will, in the way we played after the initial setback of conceding two tries. I wait to see what the video shows re the disallowed tries. I now want us to continue playing with the same spirit in the forthcoming league games. I certainly cannot wait.

Right Batley, it's over to you to see what you can do on Sunday.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#14 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

The difference between a top SL team and a Championship side was plain to see. How we would have fared against London or Bradford or Wakefield would have been more interesting.

On another note, the media benefit of playing on a Friday night was there to see. Live interview with GM on BBC Look North, BBC Radio Leeds full match commentary, result on BBC Breakfast news this morning! more journalists at the game - all more than we would have had for a Sunday game.

And as GM pointed out in the programme, more recovery time for the players before the Swinton game.

I'd say the gulf between the bottom of SL and the championship is still pretty big TBH. Great effort from the lads for forty minutes from the sound of it though. The media might not have been as interested had we been playing London Skolars though. ;)  

#15 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:38 AM

From what I have heard Brown has damaged the lateral ligament and is on crutches, goes for a scan as soon as can be arranged, not looking good.

On the other hand heard nothing but praise for our display, once again WELL DONE lads

#16 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

It would be a real shame if one of your best players is injured and can't play against the dogs.

wouldn't want you protesting that we only beat you (again) because of injuries to key personel ;)

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#17 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

It would be a real shame if one of your best players is injured and can't play against the dogs.

wouldn't want you protesting that we only beat you (again) because of injuries to key personel ;)

No probs we can always do like you lot and play half a team of d/r

#18 SharpesRams

SharpesRams
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

In the well-deserved plaudits (Batley fans can look that word up) for the players let's not forget Angela, Viv and the other back room staff who did such an excellent organisational job in the ticketing, media and general ground work. Seen much worse organisation at some local Super League clubs. Thanks.

#19 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

In the well-deserved plaudits (Batley fans can look that word up) 

Maybe you should attend to your own grammatical  errors before commenting.

Its Sharpe'sRams.

Notice the possessive apostrophe?

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#20 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

Maybe you should attend to your own grammatical  errors before commenting.

Its Sharpe'sRams.

Notice the possessive apostrophe?

Course he could be called Sharpes, in which case an apostrophe would be surplus to requirements wouldn't it ? :angel:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users