Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Benji Marshall to the Red Devils?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

I have mixed feelings on this one. A fully fit and focused Benji would not only be an asset to the Red Devils but Super League as well. The Benji Marshall that played for West Tigers last season is not an asset to anybody.

http://www.courierma...r-1226875640786

#2 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

Well Benji has been dropped by some team called the Blues and his bench place has gone to some guy called Chris Noakes....Nope Ive never herd of the Guy either

The Union press are circling as they do, because the simple fact remains is that the individual talent of mavericks like Marshall, cannot possibly survive in a Choreographic and robotic forward dominated game like Union. Marshall often runs sideways, backwards, Left or right, sometimes upside down , and the sheer shock for the union pen pushers of somebody so un predictable, must have them all Quaffing into their Gin and Tonics. You will be welcome back to the Running Code Benji

Edited by Vikingstorm, 06 April 2014 - 05:25 AM.

[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#3 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 625 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

Is the Dr a billionaire? Is a player signed from RU exempt from the salary cap? Dubious article if you ask me

#4 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Is the Dr a billionaire? Is a player signed from RU exempt from the salary cap? Dubious article if you ask me

Marshall is not exempt from the cap. RU players are only exempt if they have never played RL before.
My 2nd best hero - Jamie "Super Noodles" Peacock, but he'll never overtake my dad.....

#5 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

If you look at the form of the Tigers in both England and Australia since their maverick half backs have left, I believe a set structure in the halves reap more benefit to a team.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 06 April 2014 - 08:21 AM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,878 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

When Benji was mentally and physically on top form, he was a huge asset to the Tigers. However, Chase and Marshall in the same team could be a bit too much off-the-cuff to work.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 429 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

If Koukash did this it would just confirm he knows nothing about constructing a rugby team. You'd hope he's got advisors who would dissuade him from doing stuff like this.

#8 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

I hope they sign him. Class player and would attract a lot of media attention.

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

If Koukash did this it would just confirm he knows nothing about constructing a rugby team. You'd hope he's got advisors who would dissuade him from doing stuff like this.

Koukash wants to make waves more than a champion side at the moment it seems.

Nothing wrong with that to be fair! As long as they're positive waves!
Posted Image

#10 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Think benji has a lot more structured play than rangi n i hope he signs him, if Koukash n Salford want a big fan base then these type of signings are whats needed.
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#11 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Koukash can't sign Marshall because of the salary cap and he knows it. It is just more publicity seeking nonsense from the dodgy egomaniac.
My 2nd best hero - Jamie "Super Noodles" Peacock, but he'll never overtake my dad.....

#12 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

Well Benji has been dropped by some team called the Blues and his bench place has gone to some guy called Chris Noakes....Nope Ive never herd of the Guy either

The Union press are circling as they do, because the simple fact remains is that the individual talent of mavericks like Marshall, cannot possibly survive in a Choreographic and robotic forward dominated game like Union. Marshall often runs sideways, backwards, Left or right, sometimes upside down , and the sheer shock for the union pen pushers of somebody so un predictable, must have them all Quaffing into their Gin and Tonics. You will be welcome back to the Running Code Benji

Benji was running in all directions in his last year at the Tigers and even his teammates then were still at loss with his running angles and his skills didn't save him either. He's should have retire now.

#13 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

I hope they sign him. Class player and would attract a lot of media attention.

Was a class player 5-6 years ago, today he's a busted flush. Salford would be better served in the long run investing that money on junior teams in and around Manchester trying to unearth their own benji Marshall's.

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,878 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Was a class player 5-6 years ago, today he's a busted flush. Salford would be better served in the long run investing that money on junior teams in and around Manchester trying to unearth their own benji Marshall's.

A new team, a new challenge. Could revitalise him, or he could carry on like he was in his last season at Wests. He's not 30 yet, so if his talents could be utilised properly, he still has much to offer.

However, the general feeling I got from his pronouncements was that he had had enough hassle from Rugby League and had fallen out of love with the game. So, an expensive gamble, even if Dr K could sign him. Which he can't, as things stand.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,878 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Still, memories, eh?

#16 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

IIRC he won the Golden Boot four years ago so his golden era was more recent than that.

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

A new team, a new challenge. Could revitalise him, or he could carry on like he was in his last season at Wests. He's not 30 yet, so if his talents could be utilised properly, he still has much to offer.

However, the general feeling I got from his pronouncements was that he had had enough hassle from Rugby League and had fallen out of love with the game. So, an expensive gamble, even if Dr K could sign him. Which he can't, as things stand.

Just don't think his potential salary would be justified, anyway I've heard his wife has a lucrative media career in NZ and just can't see a move to Salford happening.

#18 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

IIRC he won the Golden Boot four years ago so his golden era was more recent than that.

4 years ago is still the past and a long time in the career of a rugby league player, I wouldnt have a problem with Salford signing him if he was still on top of his game but he clearly isn't.

#19 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

IMO If his union adventure with the blues doesn't work out I can see the NZ warriors, French rugby union or even Japan rugby union being the destination for benji Marshall.

#20 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

When Benji was mentally and physically on top form, he was a huge asset to the Tigers. However, Chase and Marshall in the same team could be a bit too much off-the-cuff to work.

That was my initial thought