Benji Marshall to the Red Devils?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

Marshall would count as a top R U signing as he has shown he can play top class rugby before his semi retirement.

#42 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

I thought Koukash had said he wanted to sign a top RU player after declaring war on RU after they signed Burgess. Does Marshall count as a top RU signing or would his signing be in addition to a top RU name?

I think Rugby league has led the way in terms of the two sport with youth development. They are light years apart and its only recently- say in the last 5 years that union has started to think about this

Wasting 600,000 a year on Marshall, may attract big news but the money is better placed investing in Youth development around Manchester Salford and that other hotbed Sale
[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#43 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Koukash won't be satisfied until he has brought a bonafide ' Marquee ' name  in to the club. if not this season , next

I  doubt it will be Marshall , but as usual the Koukash publicity machine is again in full swing both in the SL press & in Sydney - Auckland.

I  also find it incredible at only 29yrs old people are writing Benji off .(   golden boot  2010. 2011 Dally-M  Standoff , ) yeah I'd hate to see him play SL ....

I would rather these 'marquee' signings be someone like Slater, Inglis, Thurston however unlikely, than someone who was dreadful last season in the NRL. I don't think it sends a good message of the standard in SL, that someone who is unable to find an NRL club, would be far and away the best paid player in the competition. Koukash should be spending his money on building an academy and legacy at Salford, rather than publicity stunts. 

#44 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

I think Rugby league has led the way in terms of the two sport with youth development. They are light years apart and its only recently- say in the last 5 years that union has started to think about this

Wasting 600,000 a year on Marshall, may attract big news but the money is better placed investing in Youth development around Manchester Salford and that other hotbed Sale

Sale my the way is a really small place......So I would be interested in seeing just how many Sale born players have hit the big time.......Im reckoning ZERO
[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#45 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

I think that it is probably an accurate reflection of the current respective states of the NRL and SL that Marshall would be one of the best paid players over here. Bowen was released by the Cowboys and he'll be one of the competition's best players and top earners by the time he's through.

#46 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

Sale my the way is a really small place......So I would be interested in seeing just how many Sale born players have hit the big time.......Im reckoning ZERO

I think Kallum Watkins is from Sale, he went to school there. Salford should look at promoting themselves and RL in places like Wythenshawe.

#47 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

I think that it is probably an accurate reflection of the current respective states of the NRL and SL that Marshall would be one of the best paid players over here. Bowen was released by the Cowboys and he'll be one of the competition's best players and top earners by the time he's through.

Based on what? He's struggled since coming over here, I look forward to seeing him against the likes of Leeds and Saints. It works both ways anyway, a plodder like Luke Burgess is considered a superstar in the NRL. 

#48 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

A move for Benji Marshall would bring the law of diminishing returns into play. He really wouldn't attract THAT many new followers to Salford, mainly because anyone in the city who has no idea about RL (which is most) have a clue who he is. Sonny Bill W would be a different proposition, of course.

Personally, if Dr K wants a quick fix and a return on investment in terms of bums on seats, he needs to do something completely leftfield like sign Johnny Wilkinson, Manu Tuilagi, or Chris Ashton. Anyone the upper-middles who populate MediaCity would get excited about.

Whoever that might be, it ain't Benji.

#49 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

A move for Benji Marshall would bring the law of diminishing returns into play. He really wouldn't attract THAT many new followers to Salford, mainly because anyone in the city who has no idea about RL (which is most) have a clue who he is. Sonny Bill W would be a different proposition, of course.

Personally, if Dr K wants a quick fix and a return on investment in terms of bums on seats, he needs to do something completely leftfield like sign Johnny Wilkinson, Manu Tuilagi, or Chris Ashton. Anyone the upper-middles who populate MediaCity would get excited about.

Wilkinson wouldn't suit RL IMO. The latter two would certainly turn heads though.

#50 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

I would rather these 'marquee' signings be someone like Slater, Inglis, Thurston however unlikely, than someone who was dreadful last season in the NRL. I don't think it sends a good message of the standard in SL, that someone who is unable to find an NRL club, would be far and away the best paid player in the competition. Koukash should be spending his money on building an academy and legacy at Salford, rather than publicity stunts. 

Slater is contracted until the end of 2015 when he will be 32 and has no interest in leaving Melbourne Storm and will go on the staff when he retires. Thurston just signed a 4 year deal til end of 2017 when he will be 33 and said its his last contract. Inglis is also on a deal til the end of 2017. Most of the top players in the NRL are on long term deals. No SL club will sign a current Kangeroo. 

#51 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

It's roundabout the same size as Widnes I'd say. Couldn't tell you who they'd developed though as I've never followed the sport. Considering there's not another pro-club for miles around, I expect they'd have had a couple come through the ranks though.

#52 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Based on what? He's struggled since coming over here, I look forward to seeing him against the likes of Leeds and Saints. It works both ways anyway, a plodder like Luke Burgess is considered a superstar in the NRL. 

Luke Burgess is only considered a star in so much that he's one of the Burgess quartet. Sam and George are the stars, He's a decent, steady player and fills the same role as he did at Leeds. Sometimes in the first XVII, sometimes not.

#53 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Wilkinson wouldn't suit RL IMO. The latter two would certainly turn heads though.

I completely agree (though he'd make a lot of territory with the boot). But he would certainly be an off-field success with marketing the team. And for a nice house in rural Cheshire, he might even make the switch!

#54 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

Slater is contracted until the end of 2015 when he will be 32 and has no interest in leaving Melbourne Storm and will go on the staff when he retires. Thurston just signed a 4 year deal til end of 2017 when he will be 33 and said its his last contract. Inglis is also on a deal til the end of 2017. Most of the top players in the NRL are on long term deals. No SL club will sign a current Kangeroo. 

I did say it would be unlikely lol, but I'm mainly saying a top NRL player in their prime, rather than past it. Salford should go for Semi Radradra as he's off contract next year. 

#55 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

Yes, I completely agree. I'm of the opinion that we should only go after Union players if they are young and would improve over the years or if they are very high profile. Honestly I think we (London) should go after Jonny Wilkinson or Danny Cipriani. Yeah they might not be good at RL, but the amount of coverage they will bring to the team, both locally and nationally, would be huge. Look at the amount of coverage Gareth Thomas brought to Crusaders. 

#56 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

I did say it would be unlikely lol, but I'm mainly saying a top NRL player in their prime, rather than past it. Salford should go for Semi Radradra as he's off contract next year. 

He may not be a big name to bring the punters flocking but big Semi has cult figure written all over him if he could be brought over. To quote Stevo, 'he's having a wow of a season'.

#57 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

Parramatta are finally getting themselves up off the mat with players like Semi, you Red Devils fans keep ya hands to yourself.

He's going to be our cult hero.

#58 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

I completely agree (though he'd make a lot of territory with the boot). But he would certainly be an off-field success with marketing the team. And for a nice house in rural Cheshire, he might even make the switch!

He's retired.

#59 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

He's retired.

So did Steve Redgrave. Several times.

#60 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

Wish more people would understand this. Structure wins RL games, off the cuff play doesn't.

rangi chase won cas plenty of games with absolutely no structure just off the cuff so thats not entirely true.
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users