Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Benji Marshall to the Red Devils?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

So did Steve Redgrave. Several times.

I don't think Redgrave had as many injury problems as Wilkinson. Plus it would be like Redgrave "having a go" at canoeing rather than returning to the sport that he was pretty good at.

Edited by Northern Sol, 08 April 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#62 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

I don't think Redgrave had as many injury problems as Wilkinson. Plus it would be like Redgrave "having a go" at canoeing rather than returning to the sport that he was pretty good at.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree. I'm just making a point about who'll put more arses on chairs at Salford for similar outlay. To do so means getting a name most people in the area who haven't been to an RL match before will have heard of (which means, erm, pretty much every current RL player except SBW).

I'm afraid (and loathe to labour the point because it sticks in my throat) that to get more people through the turnstiles, Marwan is going to have to raid "the other place". Benji Marshall won't have them ticking over, but someone like George North, Manu Tuilagi, or even Gavin Henson (perish the thought) would. Big stylee.

#63 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree. I'm just making a point about who'll put more arses on chairs at Salford for similar outlay. To do so means getting a name most people in the area who haven't been to an RL match before will have heard of (which means, erm, pretty much every current RL player except SBW).

I'm afraid (and loathe to labour the point because it sticks in my throat) that to get more people through the turnstiles, Marwan is going to have to raid "the other place". Benji Marshall won't have them ticking over, but someone like George North, Manu Tuilagi, or even Gavin Henson (perish the thought) would. Big stylee.

Spent force. North would be good though.

#64 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

Spent force. North would be good though.

Quite. On both counts.

#65 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

Steve Redgrave.  Now that would get bums on seats.  Him and Dwaine Chambers.

#66 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Steve Redgrave.  Now that would get bums on seats.  Him and Dwaine Chambers.

If that Ferres tackle doesn't result in much of a ban, maybe raid WWE for the Undertaker to show him what a proper piledriver looks like in time for Good Friday.

Not sure about Dwaine Chambers but I'd take Edrick Lee from Canberra who has stole his haircut.

#67 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

Agree these guys would generate a big interest initially but with none of them being familiar with the nuances of playing RL I can't see them suddenly turning Salford into a winning side. Watching Tuilagi or North losing every week in a Salford side would soon lose it's novelty and the crowds would drop off and would be followed by a lot of negative press.

In the good old days when RU was developing lots of fantastic juniors and RL was signing these guys (mostly from Wales) to strengthen their squads it still took a long(ish) time for them to adjust to playing RL. Koukash signing a big name RU player is not going to be a quick fix but simply a short term novelty.

28m391z.jpg

#68 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

would be followed by a lot of negative press.

You know there's an old saying about publicity. ;)

#69 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

rangi chase won cas plenty of games with absolutely no structure just off the cuff so thats not entirely true.

They never consistently won RL games. It works at lower levels but it never will at the very top of RL.

#70 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

A short term fix,Salford sent their best half back on a season long loan to Castleford.Maybe they should be looking at building for the long term,rather than the here and now.

That bit in bold is just plain silly and undermines any credibility this post might have had.

#71 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

That bit in bold is just plain silly and undermines any credibility this post might have had.

Look, he's been out there and done it, got his coaching badges. He's not an armchair coach. He knows what he's on about!
Posted Image

#72 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,287 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

Look, he's been out there and done it, got his coaching badges. He's not an armchair coach. He knows what he's on about!

I thought you had more about you than to stoop to snide comments.Obviously not.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 10 April 2014 - 09:22 AM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#73 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,287 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

If you say so.Would you say Sneyd has performed better than Smith or Chase this season?

#74 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

We can all be snide at times. Let's not pretend otherwise.
Posted Image

#75 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

If you say so.Would you say Sneyd has performed better than Smith or Chase this season?

It's a difficult comparison to make because, as I'm sure you're aware, Rangi has only made three appearances so far (discounting the first game of the season, where he limped off after about 15 minutes). His first game back after injury was against Castleford, where he was up against Marc Sneyd and was - by some considerable distance - the best half back on the field.

I hope Marc returns to Salford as I suspect he might do a better job than Tim Smith (on current form, anyway), but to suggest he's Salford's best half back is, from the limited evidence we have so far, well wide of the mark.

#76 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,287 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

Maybe I should have phrased it better,last season he was Salfords best halfback.

#77 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

Maybe I should have phrased it better,last season he was Salfords best halfback.

I would probably agree with your initial assessment. I rate Smith very highly but I don't think he likes the pressure of having high expectations placed on him. I'm not a fan of Chase personally. There's no doubt that he has a lot of ability but while I love off the cuff play I think he just takes the level of unpredictability too far.

Sneyd showed great promise last season and is clearly doing things right at Castleford. Given his age and potential I think he might be my pick of the three if I had to choose one.

Edited by MrFussy, 10 April 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#78 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

Probably, but it's not as easy to judge as you think because he spent a fair amount of the season playing full back. He was, though, one of the few bright spots we had last year.

#79 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

I would probably agree with your initial assessment. I rate Smith very highly but I don't think he likes the pressure of having high expectations placed on him. I'm not a fan of Chase personally. There's no doubt that he has a lot of ability but while I love off the cuff play I think he just takes the level of unpredictability too far.

Sneyd showed great promise last season and is clearly doing things right at Castleford. Given his age and potential I think he might be my pick of the three if I had to choose one.

I might have agreed until I saw Chase play for us. In the two victories we've had since his return from injury, he has been absolutely outstanding. I could be wrong, but I've a feeling every try we scored in those games was created by him. Tim Smith has been very hit and miss, but time will tell if he turns out to be the right man for the job.

#80 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 724 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

We can all be snide at times. Let's not pretend otherwise.

It's spelt Sneyd lads.  :drag:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users