Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Way forward?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Well after today it seems like in a few week in barrow great win excitement, energy to beaten by a team in the division below with a 17 capable of winning whatever the injury crack!
Where do we go? Do we have anyone else lined up to come in? Do we need a koucash type? Sheffield next week and I'm not looking forward to it!!
Waited for along time listening to john Walsh awaiting reaction but had to knock off the wireless as it was taking ages!
Up the town

#2 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Think there was some paint being stripped off the walls!! not good enough Town, injury's aside, that was a match we should have won, saying that we could have been going to Wigan, and the way we are playing think it would have been more than 106.

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

It's difficult to know what the way forward is from here unless we know what is planned. It is obvious that having a small basic squad and relying on DR players is not the way forward and it is also obvious that some of the players we do have are not up to Championship standard. We have lost 3 games on the trot and in each game we have had at least 3 Wigan players in the team but are they as good as some of the players we are missing?

I think our season will be decided by the players themselves. They can either knuckle down and play as a team like they have in the past or they can just go through the motions. As fans there isn't much we can do about that other than turn up and support them but I fear that crowds will drop away which doesn't do anyone any good.

The whole club needs a good pick-me-up but where it will come from, goodness only knows.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

I think the board need to tell us fans just what there plans are, are we looking at signing players, and if so how far are we from getting any signed on, are we just going to make do with a skeleton squad ? how can other clubs afford players on 700 odd crowds from the other side of the world ? its a massive gamble doing this but what is the alternative, staying as we are and relegation or gamble a little, no brainer for me, its all or nothing, over to you board which way is it ?

#5 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

Merger is the ONLY way forward. There's not enough appetite for RL at the current level and the new funding structure will just make the gap bigger. The only way to significantly increase income is to increase the gates and that ain't gonna happen. It's financial suicide to bring players in on the hope it drags us up the table. Our BOD are too honest to allow that to happen and wouldn't tarnish their reputation by building up the debt, walking away and starting up as WTRLFC2015. And we don't have sugar daddies down the road to bail us out either.

Edited by GeordieTownie, 06 April 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#6 Aubrey Boyce

Aubrey Boyce
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

do you not have a VP group to raise funds for recruitment like they have at haven for the likes of Seymour signing

#7 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

We have a half time draw does that count?

#8 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

raiders are in exactly the same position guys and will get relegated unless theres a massive change!!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#9 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Yes we do have a Vice Presidents group and have had for longer than Haven with more members and yes they do raise money towards the signing of players. We also have 2 Lotteries that are always well supported but could manage a few more clients. That is why questions get asked about our finances compared to others like Haven. We also have income from the speedway which you don't. Sponsorship may be down this season, I don't know, but if it is I don't think it would be by that much different. So this is what puzzles so many fans when it comes to signing more players.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#10 Aubrey Boyce

Aubrey Boyce
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

That's my point I didn't won't to upset people by asking that question

#11 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

Merger is the ONLY way forward. There's not enough appetite for RL at the current level and the new funding structure will just make the gap bigger. The only way to significantly increase income is to increase the gates and that ain't gonna happen. It's financial suicide to bring players in on the hope it drags us up the table. Our BOD are too honest to allow that to happen and wouldn't tarnish their reputation by building up the debt, walking away and starting up as WTRLFC2015. And we don't have sugar daddies down the road to bail us out either.

Merger probably is the only way for both clubs BUT until someone comes up with a stadium at Lillyhall/Distington it isn't going to happen. In the meantime we will continue to play in our two club league trying to score points over each other while the rugby league world leaves us far behind.

#12 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

I've never seen the fans so disgruntled . The mood here says it all . That should concern the club . Attendances and interest is a worry . How do we get out of this from here ? Merger is down the line ... What's ahead for this crucial season ?
What's our way of pulling it back ? That's all I'm thinking of .

Edited by DavidM, 06 April 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#13 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Did vievers offer any insight then? If we get a good beating off Sheffield next week I can almost guarantee people won't travel to the derby on Good Friday!!

#14 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

He didnt do a radio interview!!!

#15 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

The injuries are cruel , that's terrible luck , especially considering who they are . Of course that's a big factor . But it could be curtains by we get our team back out on the paddock ... Is it just DR to fill the holes , or are we looking or able to boost the numbers ? Our lack of recruiting our own players , and ones ready to this level , has been unfortunately exposed . It's a balance with only one side - but 21or 2 is as low as I can remember . You are open to problems if ill fortune hits - that's just fact .

Edited by DavidM, 06 April 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#16 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

Did vievers offer any insight then? If we get a good beating off Sheffield next week I can almost guarantee people won't travel to the derby on Good Friday!!

By the time John Walsh had walked all the way down from the top of the stand at Hunslet there was no-one about and the dressing room was empty, so there was no interview with Vievers.

#17 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

Bet walshy was relieved !!!!!

#18 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

Take Olstrum, Miller, Phillips, Mattinson, Stack & McAvoy out of the side and that's probably 6 of our top 7 players. Any squad would struggle on that basis.

#19 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Take Olstrum, Miller, Phillips, Mattinson, Stack & McAvoy out of the side and that's probably 6 of our top 7 players. Any squad would struggle on that basis.

Hence the reason we needed some more experienced players in a larger squad. Today we had to play together young lads who this time last year were playing amateur rugby league. Duerden, Lucock, Rowlandson, and you could throw in Rooney as well as he hasn't had that much Championship game time. Throw in 3 young Wigan lads who are new to us and us to them and it was a fair bet we would struggle. These lads should be gradually introduced not all thrown in together and expecting us to win.

#20 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Only problem from there is keeping them all happy when you have a fully fit squad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users