Way forward?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Spacecake

Spacecake
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

Chill out I know how you feel disgruntled ! Disillusioned after our defeat v fax now after barrow I got a bit of hope back. You'll be better when you get to full strength !! Your coach seems dodgy though

#22 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Spacecake I wouldn't get too confident after beating the Raiders ... we are a very very poor outfit and look destined for the drop

Having said that at least Haven are signing a bit of quality unlike us who are signing anyone in desperation :-(

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#23 troutmaster

troutmaster
  • 846 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Spacecake I wouldn't get too confident after beating the Raiders ... we are a very very poor outfit and look destined for the dropHaving said that at least Haven are signing a bit of quality unlike us who are signing anyone in desperation :-(

hya morty,i heard on the grapevine you are getting at least 5 players from leigh.That is certainly going to give a big lift to the barrow side,hope they are better than what we have gotten from wigan?.
Posted Image

#24 Spacecake

Spacecake
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:11 AM

Woa morty I never said I was confident ! I said I had a bit of hope !! Long way to go yet

#25 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

Woa morty I never said I was confident ! I said I had a bit of hope !! Long way to go yet

Ahh ok mate ... wish we had some hope lol

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#26 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

I don't think this a case of not signing enough players, more a question of signing the right players at the right price.

The injury crisis could happen to any team at any time, and its just been unfortunate that we have so many out at the minute. Although we have some good amateur sides locally there are very few of those players who could step straight into a Championship side without a full pre-season of bulking up behind them.

The BOD will have their budgets to work to and I'm sure players were targeted, but for the usual reasons will not travel to Cumbria twice a week  to train and play.

Sheffield, Dewsbury and the likes do get lower crowds, but they are located in areas surrounded by industry, so sponsorship should be easier to obtain, and command higher rates than the teams do around here.

Interestingly, I attended the Maryport v Distington game on Saturday and the Wath Brow v Egremont game earlier in the season and both clubs produced programmes with more adverts than Town's!

#27 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Interesting about the adverts DttRR, what does that tell us;

a, we have  poor marketing.

b, more go and watch them than Town.

c, companys arnt interested in what we do.

this is why we need to look at what is happening with pro rugby in this area before it is to late.

#28 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

I would've said the programme issue is irrelevant. Do Maryport or Wath Brow have more ground boards? Or player sponsors? Or? Or kit sponsors? If I were a business owner I'd rather have all of those as every person who goes to the game sees those rather than the small number who may buy a programme.

The advertisers probably just want value for money in a tough financial climate and programme sponsorship doesn't give as much as the others do in my view.
But I suppose it's possible to find a negative in anything although I do agree with the general principle that it would be difficult to find sponsors in West Cumbria compared with other areas.

#29 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

It wasn't as dig Geordie, but some of the local amateurs are very pro-active in bringing in sponsorship. Obviously the rates the amateurs charge are much less than that of the pro clubs, but nevertheless they are still being pro-active.

A lot of the RU clubs have sponsors days where the club invite existing and potential sponsors to the club for the day and make a fuss of them and then try and tap them up for a little more sponsorship each year while at the same time being perceived as giving something back to the sponsor in the form of a good afternoon, but also giving the sponsor the opportunity to have their opinion on the way they see the club is being ran and how their money is spent.

Is that something Workington or Whitehaven do? - I'm not a sponsor so I don't know what they do with sponsors

Incidentally, at Maryport on Saturday, they had one of the Travis Perkins branches in as match sponsor and they must have had 30-40 lads on a free bar, plus their new sponsor from Penrith was down and the crack was they were being sponsored for a £3000 - 4000 for one season so they must be doing something right. Whether that's right or not I don't know, but one of the players told me it was for a few thousand

#30 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yes, Town did that for the Egremont game as one of my mates who sponsors them went - who is also incidentally going the the game Travis Perkins are sponsoring at Derwent Park later in the season so it seems everyone has the same things in mind - it's something new that nobody else has thought of that they need to be looking at.

#31 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

The problem in an area like West Cumbria is that everyone is trying to get sponsorship from the same sources.

Another problem for the pro teams is that there is no TV coverage, or very little this year with Premier Sports not covering the Championship games.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users