Brett Ferres incident

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

Bonkers barmy tackle but was there malicious intent?.......

Irrelevant.  Ferres is an experienced player.  He knows how to avoid that kind of tackle.  Lomax already has three plates in his skull.  He doesn't need another one.

#22 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

Didn't think it was that bad, didn't warrant a sending off IMHO.

It was certainly reckless, a penalty would have been sufficient.

#23 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

Didn't think it was that bad, didn't warrant a sending off IMHO.

It was certainly reckless, a penalty would have been sufficient.

You think tackles which are illegal and can put people in wheel chairs should not result in a red card?

#24 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

6 games.

It was a brainfart, but a highly dangerous one at that. There was enough opportunity to realise he was the only man in the tackle and that the lift and turn was in no way necessary. I bet he's - rightly - gutted about what happened but there was just no excuse for what happened. Luckily it seemed Lomax was ok.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#25 Jbb10

Jbb10
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

All lifting tackles where there is a spear should be sent off like rugby union

#26 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Responsibility for an attacking player's safety needs to be with the defender that lifts. The player that lifts should need to ensure that that player is put to ground safely, so if something happens to that player, it is the lifter's fault.

If the same player is the reason that attacking player comes down dangerously, there should be a ban based on how dangerous it was (I.e. Where the player landed, force used, etc).

This was an awful tackle. But the RFL won't be consistent, we've seen this too many times. Whiting was dropped on his head the other week and not a damn thing was done about it.
Posted Image

#27 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

McLean got a 7 match ban for the incident involving McKinnon's injury so I'd be surprised to see Ferres get more than 5-6

#28 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

Ferres will get 3 games maximum.
Posted Image

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

Ferres doesn't strike me as a dirty player but nonetheless such tackles should incur a severe penalty. The consequences don't bear thinking about and the disciplinary need to send out a real message here, namely that you tackle like that, regardless of intent, and you will be spending a very long time out. It has to be done.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#30 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

Responsibility for an attacking player's safety needs to be with the defender that lifts. The player that lifts should need to ensure that that player is put to ground safely, so if something happens to that player, it is the lifter's fault.

If the same player is the reason that attacking player comes down dangerously, there should be a ban based on how dangerous it was (I.e. Where the player landed, force used, etc).

This was an awful tackle. But the RFL won't be consistent, we've seen this too many times. Whiting was dropped on his head the other week and not a damn thing was done about it.

Unlucky for Ferres that there weren't two more defenders in the tackle. They'd have all escaped with a caution.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#31 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

Seen it just now on the TV. Not elegant, but no malicious intent. Doesn't lift him up, pulls him to horizontal and then the momentum of Lomax's legs pulls him over and into the ground. Contrary to the hysterical shrieking of Saints fans on twitter, he doesn't drive him into the ground and he doesn't land on his head.

A clear penalty, but not a red card. Still, a long way from the biggest injustice of the day.

That's me.  I'm done.

#32 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

Seen it just now on the TV. Not elegant, but no malicious intent. Doesn't lift him up, pulls him to horizontal and then the momentum of Lomax's legs pulls him over and into the ground. Contrary to the hysterical shrieking of Saints fans on twitter, he doesn't drive him into the ground and he doesn't land on his head.

A clear penalty, but not a red card. Still, a long way from the biggest injustice of the day.

I understand that you feel hard done by but you can't honestly believe that? If you do then I'm very glad that your opinion would appear to be in the minority. Sorry Steve...

#33 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

a reverse lift, they do wrestling in training he knew what would happen, the problem was there wasnt a second tackler to 'manage' his legs....

#34 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

I understand that you feel hard done by but you can't honestly believe that? If you do then I'm very glad that your opinion would appear to be in the minority. Sorry Steve...

Yes, that's what I think. I thought it at the ground and I think it now. I think it was a penalty, but a red card isn't so bad. Talk of a long ban is ridiculous.

That's me.  I'm done.

#35 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

The game at all levels needs to ban lifting. It achieves nothing and is not needed to tackle a player. Whether a player intends to lift and put an opponent in a dangerous position or not, he should get a red card and face a long ban. Ferres for me should face a minimum 8 match ban and a warning sent to all clubs that such tackles are dangerous and will not be tolerated. The game is hard enough as it is. Part of the problem is our players are getting over coached on becoming bigger and stronger and getting over coached in the wrestling techniques. Do we really want to keep on allowing lifting and twisting players and putting them in a position where they risk ending up badly injured? I dont

#36 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,176 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

poppycock.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#37 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

The game at all levels needs to ban lifting. It achieves nothing and is not needed to tackle a player. Whether a player intends to lift and put an opponent in a dangerous position or not, he should get a red card and face a long ban. Ferres for me should face a minimum 8 match ban and a warning sent to all clubs that such tackles are dangerous and will not be tolerated. The game is hard enough as it is. Part of the problem is our players are getting over coached on becoming bigger and stronger and getting over coached in the wrestling techniques. Do we really want to keep on allowing lifting and twisting players and putting them in a position where they risk ending up badly injured? I dont

8 matches! ###### pal. Utter ######.

That's me.  I'm done.

#38 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

Dangerous tackle that could easily injure a player for life. The sooner the game as a whole comes down harder on dangerous tackles the better. Ban the lifting as well. Maybe if the dangerous tackles receive longer sentences then maybe we will not see them. The game needs to get tough on dangerous tackles that potentially put players in very dangerous positions. 

#39 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

A clear penalty, but not a red card.

Some nice giants-tinted glasses you've got there Steve

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#40 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

How Lomax was'nt seriously injured is down to pure luck,as has been said Ferres aint a dirty player by any stretch but he must be looking at a 4-6 game ban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users