Brett Ferres incident

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

Yes, that's what I think. I thought it at the ground and I think it now. I think it was a penalty, but a red card isn't so bad. Talk of a long ban is ridiculous.

Not at all. It is only luck that a player hasn't broken their neck by now. It needs stamping out - it is not a club issue but a whole game issue.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#42 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

I thought it was unlucky but pretty innocent. I'm prepared to concede a red card but I think that's harsh. Given the card, he's clearly facing a ban but eight matches would be utterly ridiculous.

There's a lot of Saints fans shrieking about this on Twitter and other places for no other reason but deflecting the other events at the Galpharm.

That's me.  I'm done.

#43 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

8 matches! ###### pal. Utter ######.

your having yourself on here

#44 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

I thought it was unlucky but pretty innocent. I'm prepared to concede a red card but I think that's harsh. Given the card, he's clearly facing a ban but eight matches would be utterly ridiculous.

There's a lot of Saints fans shrieking about this on Twitter and other places for no other reason but deflecting the other events at the Galpharm.

8 games is not ridiculous regardless of his intent. If he actually intended it you would probably be looking at a couple of year ban IMO.

Look at it this way. Do you think Ferres missing the next 8 games is fair for accidentally doing a tackle which potentially could of made Lomax miss the next 300 or so? I think so.

#45 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

By far and away the worst thing that happened in that game was Ferres dumping Lomax on his head, closely followed by Danny Brough throwing his toys out - Again.

#46 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Awful to watch.

Needs banning for a long, long time.

Awful to watch.

Needs banning for a long, long time.

massive overreaction mate, yes it was bad but ferres isn't a dirty player at all, he has no previous for this 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#47 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

I feel sorry for Huddersfield today as I am 70/30 sure Brough's DG attempt was in...

However, Ferres tackle was shocking. I am sure the content of the thread will wind a few people up but check out the picture on the first post at this attachment:

http://www.redvee.ne...Ferres-Vs-Lomax

I'll reiterate, shocking tackle...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#48 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

i agree mat but ferres should have his previous good record taken into account 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#49 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

i agree mat but ferres should have his previous good record taken into account 

Why?It was a dangerous tackle,end of.

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#50 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Didn't think it was that bad, didn't warrant a sending off IMHO.

It was certainly reckless, a penalty would have been sufficient.

Oh dear.

#51 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

You mean the bit about us winning?

If we are 'shrieking' on Twitter it will be because our player who has already suffered serious head injury in a rugby game involving time spent in intensive care and the removal of parts of his skull was tipped on to his head during the match.  That'll be why.

#52 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

The tackle was disgusting and should be outlawed. Eight games for whoever the perpetrator is justified. Lomax is a lucky lad, he could have been permanently damaged by this physical assault. I like Ferres, he's a good player but hopefully he will have learned from this moment of recklessness.

Edited by oiseau, 07 April 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#53 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

The tackle was disgusting and should be outlawed. Eight games for whoever the perpetrator is justified. Lomax is a

Lucky boy?
Angel?
Badger?

I like this does the winner get a prize.

#54 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

Given what has recently happened in the NRL the game as a whole need to look at players tackling techniques. They are being 'coached' to use wrestling technicques, and many of these are designed to put massive pressure on an opponents body or to put them into dangerous positions.

I'm sure Ferres never went into the tackle with the intention of picking Lomax up and driving head first into the ground, but he did. This happens in plenty of tackles but usually there's 2-3 other players in the tackle and in these instances its easier to manage how they put the opposition player down. 9 times out of 10 they are put down safely on their backs with no harm done. This time Ferres was on his own and the onus is completely on him to ensure he doesn't put the opposition player into a dangerous position.

I've given up trying to second guess the disciplinary these days as they're so inconsistent but I do feel that Ferres may be in for a lengthy ban.

#55 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

Are you serious?

It was a horrific tackle and in my time I've seen first hand such tackles result in neck injuries and broken collarbones. It was luck or more accurately the absence of bad luck that saved Lomax from serious life changing injury. If that tackle happened again next week and the attacking player ended up paralysed you would not be surprised.

It's a game wide issue and the RFL should start by banning Ferres for 8 to 10 games and then be consistent with that level of punishment for future incidents.

It has nothing to do with deflecting attention from a 50/50 call on Broughs Drop Goal

#56 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Lucky boy?
Angel?
Badger?

I like this does the winner get a prize.

yep, a night on the tiles with Brett !

#57 davo99

davo99
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

Innocent????

Attached File  ferres_tackle.jpg   28.16KB   1 downloads

#58 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

horrible tackle and previous good conduct no defence 

red card totally justified and so would be a 6-8 match ban 
RFL should now bring an instruction banning a lift in tackles , they arent needed and serve no purpose , if the defender has enough strength and control over an attacker that he is able to man handle him into a lift, then he isnt going anyweare and tackle is complete

#59 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Unlucky for Ferres that there weren't two more defenders in the tackle. They'd have all escaped with a caution.

There were two involved, with Kopczak also having a lesser part in the tackle. It was an awful tackle,  - end of, and one of the very rare cases of a true 'spear tackle' where the head is actually driven into the ground. In mitigation, and it's difficult to find much, I don't think Ferres is a "dirty" player and whilst he clearly got carried away by the adrenalin I can't believe what actually transpired was deliberate.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#60 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

There were two involved, with Kopczak also having a lesser part in the tackle. It was an awful tackle,  - end of, and one of the very rare cases of a true 'spear tackle' where the head is actually driven into the ground. In mitigation, and it's difficult to find much, I don't think Ferres is a "dirty" player and whilst he clearly got carried away by the adrenalin I can't believe what actually transpired was deliberate.

I'd have to agree with that, and Nathan Brown said as much in his post match comments, while also urging the match-review committee to take his good track record into account.

I'd still like to see a hard stance taken against this though, not out of any spite or hard feeling towards Ferres, but because challenges of this nature simply can't continue to exist in the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users