Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

unbelievable bbc

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

i watched the bbc sports news this morning and as expected no mention whatsoever that there was a game on today. i then watched tonights news expecting a good report given all the controversy, guess what,nothing the boat race, womens cricket, football,non existant half marathons! rugby league nowt.

i don't expect much from the bbc but today we had a top game a sending off a dodgy drop goal and the draw, and they couldn't give us a single minute. :angry:

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#2 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

i watched the bbc sports news this morning and as expected no mention whatsoever that there was a game on today. i then watched tonights news expecting a good report given all the controversy, guess what,nothing the boat race, womens cricket, football,non existant half marathons! rugby league nowt.
i don't expect much from the bbc but today we had a top game a sending off a dodgy drop goal and the draw, and they couldn't give us a single minute. :angry:

it was mentioned on MOTD....

#3 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

The sooner RL leaves the BBC, the better. Go somewhere that will give it respect. If I were in the RFL, I'd be looking around to find a new home for CC games. ITV4, for example, has a lot of filler and repeats, but if we offered it to them, I'm sure they'd be interested. 

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

The sooner RL leaves the BBC, the better. Go somewhere that will give it respect. If I were in the RFL, I'd be looking around to find a new home for CC games. ITV4, for example, has a lot of filler and repeats, but if we offered it to them, I'm sure they'd be interested. 

Right on! Headlong onwards to obscurity on Gems TV or something...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

channel 4?

Claire balding could host.... they used to do cricket. ..and won awards for their coverage, they also had the national...... an advert there would have had half the adult population see it!

#6 MADREDNIGE

MADREDNIGE
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

And why have it on same time as all other games (bar 15 mins ), crazy !

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

channel 4?

Claire balding could host.... they used to do cricket. ..and won awards for their coverage, they also had the national...... an advert there would have had half the adult population see it!

...and that was several years ago, Now they do horse racing and pretty much no other sport.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

Right on! Headlong onwards to obscurity on Gems TV or something...

ITV4 is hardly obscurity, it's good enough for the Europa League, IPL, Roland Garros, TDF etc. Are you happy having a channel covering the sport that confines the 'national' highlights to the North and does next to no advertising of its programming despite the decent figures it generates?

#9 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

So you think we should go cap in hand to a tv network that has shown no interest in RL for years to get some "respect"? Oh lord.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

ITV4 is hardly obscurity, it's good enough for the Europa League, IPL, Roland Garros, TDF etc. Are you happy having a channel covering the sport that confines the 'national' highlights to the North and does next to no advertising of its programming despite the decent figures it generates?

Apart from the live BTCC coverage and the occasional European football match that doesn't make it to ITV1, pretty much all the sport they cover is pre-packaged highlights from outside companies. Most of which are pretty low-rent and poor quality.

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,227 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

If ITV were interested they would bid against the BBC, the BBC almost show the sport out of loyalty.

They can get good figures without spending loads on pushing it, like Sky until BT cam along. The minute BT started buying sport Sky upped their game.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#12 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

So you think we should go cap in hand to a tv network that has shown no interest in RL for years to get some "respect"? Oh lord.

When was the last time the RFL tried to contact ITV4? I doubt they ever have. Maybe ITV didn't want RL in 70s/80s (I wouldn't know, I wasn't alive then), but then game has changed so much since then we could at least try. 

#13 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

If ITV were interested they would bid against the BBC, the BBC almost show the sport out of loyalty.

They can get good figures without spending loads on pushing it, like Sky until BT cam along. The minute BT started buying sport Sky upped their game.

this is the way I see it. Every year we have a thread flogging the BBC and people telling us other broadcasters could do a better job, but no other broadcasters ever seem interested enough.

#14 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

When was the last time the RFL tried to contact ITV4? I doubt they ever have. Maybe ITV didn't want RL in 70s/80s (I wouldn't know, I wasn't alive then), but then game has changed so much since then we could at least try. 

I was waiting until the old "blame the RFL" card got pulled. 

You don't get what your saying. You want "respect" in your first post, but you seem to think pimping the game around FTA satellite/cable channels is the way to get it?

#15 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

having slagged off the bbc i don't think we should ever dump them, i just find their attitude to rl incredible they even managed to squeeze in some union highlights during the presentation for god's sake. :angry:

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#16 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

this is the way I see it. Every year we have a thread flogging the BBC and people telling us other broadcasters could do a better job, but no other broadcasters ever seem interested enough.

We have a governing body that are comfortable in their jobs, no pressure on them, they sit back and don't do anything. They need to go out there and make it happen. Rugby League is a great game as these premiership footballers tweet to their millions of followers, the RFL need to up their game and go and sell it to these channels

#17 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

I was waiting until the old "blame the RFL" card got pulled. 

You don't get what your saying. You want "respect" in your first post, but you seem to think pimping the game around FTA satellite/cable channels is the way to get it?

Well yes, taking the sport somewhere else is exactly what the sport needs to do if they want to command respect. The BBC will continue to patronise RL as long as we bow down to them and let them push RL over. The BBC would promote Mongolian dwarf tossing over RL. Honestly, the RFL would be better off having live games on YouTube instead. 

#18 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

We have a governing body that are comfortable in their jobs, no pressure on them, they sit back and don't do anything. They need to go out there and make it happen. Rugby League is a great game as these premiership footballers tweet to their millions of followers, the RFL need to up their game and go and sell it to these channels

and what if these channels say no?

#19 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

Well yes, taking the sport somewhere else is exactly what the sport needs to do if they want to command respect. The BBC will continue to patronise RL as long as we bow down to them and let them push RL over. The BBC would promote Mongolian dwarf tossing over RL. Honestly, the RFL would be better off having live games on YouTube instead. 

I'm sure having games on YouTube would significantly raise the games profile over national TV.

Why do you think they are pushing us over? Sky had the rights to show a game from round four, yet turned it down. The BBC was the only broadcaster interested in showing the cup, what is so hard to understand about that?

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,241 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

and what if these channels say no?

Didn't the RFL do exactly what everyone wanted with the last lot of bidding?  Give it to an outside agency and package up for any interested broadcasters?  We got the BBC and Sky.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users