• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

and what if these channels say no?

We don't know until we try. IMO, the RFL are selling it wrong. It seems to be promoted as some Northern English trophy, but it isn't, it's an international competition with club sides from three different countries. 

#22 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

Didn't the RFL do exactly what everyone wanted with the last lot of bidding?  Give it to an outside agency and package up for any interested broadcasters?  We got the BBC and Sky.

tell londonrlfan please

#23 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

I'm sure having games on YouTube would significantly raise the games profile over national TV.

Why do you think they are pushing us over? Sky had the rights to show a game from round four, yet turned it down. The BBC was the only broadcaster interested in showing the cup, what is so hard to understand about that?

Because YouTube is the future. There are more people watching a dog barking on Youtube than some programme on the BBC. A lot of music festivals are showing live streams on Youtube, because of the huge reach it has. I've seen some sporting events have live streams off there too, it is the future for sport broadcasting imo. 

They are very patronising with their coverage imo, especially describing every thing that happens in the game, like people have never seen RL before and always playing down the sport as a Northern pastime. 

#24 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

We don't know until we try. IMO, the RFL are selling it wrong. It seems to be promoted as some Northern English trophy, but it isn't, it's an international competition with club sides from three different countries. 

Promoted as a northern english trophy by whom?

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,585 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

ITV have held rights for the RUWC over the pro-RU BBC for several years. You think they'll jeopardise that lucrative if deathly dull cash cow just to show a few rounds of the Challenge Cup?

And sport on ITV tends more towards the rubbish than the watchable. We'd probably get Elton Welsby and spend the rest of the contract praying for the return of Eddie & Stevo.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

They are very patronising with their coverage imo, especially describing every thing that happens in the game, like people have never seen RL before and always playing down the sport as a Northern pastime. 

Nonsense, will you make your bloody mind up, you say we need to push the game to new audiences and broadcasters in every post yet denigrate the bbc for trying to explain the rules to newcomers who may be watching on national TV.

When did the BBC team today play any part of the coverage down as a northern pastime?

#27 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

Promoted as a northern english trophy by whom?

The governing body. 

#28 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

ITV have held rights for the RUWC over the pro-RU BBC for several years. You think they'll jeopardise that lucrative if deathly dull cash cow just to show a few rounds of the Challenge Cup?

And sport on ITV tends more towards the rubbish than the watchable. We'd probably get Elton Welsby and spend the rest of the contract praying for the return of Eddie & Stevo.

What union go to do with anything? Sky Sports seem to be able to show both codes and ITV4 is a sports channel. There's a difference between ITV1 and ITV4. 

#29 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

The governing body. 

but this thread was about how bad the BBC are, now your whinging about the RFL, who had no input into the BBC's coverage today AFAIK

#30 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

What union go to do with anything? Sky Sports seem to be able to show both codes and ITV4 is a sports channel. There's a difference between ITV1 and ITV4. 

that's right there is a difference, ITV4 is where they put the stuff that's generally not good enough to go on ITV. ITV is BBC's terrestrial competitor. you think for RL to promote itself and get respect we need to go, cap in hand to the BBC's terrestrial competitior and put it on their filler channel.

Edited by Marv Woodburn, 06 April 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#31 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

but this thread was about how bad the BBC are, now your whinging about the RFL, who had no input into the BBC's coverage today AFAIK

I'm saying if the RFL promoted the sport and the competition better, then perhaps we would have more interest in broadcasting rights. Pretending it's only played in the North is silly, especially given there's an international flavour to the tournament. Hence why I said they should look at going to YouTube if there's no interest. Streaming is going to be the way forward, you just have to get ahead of the curve. Even the NRL are streaming their live games to audiences. 

#32 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

The most recent week for which figures are available show only one sports fixture in the top 10 for ITV 4.  It's soccer with 837,000 viewers.  No other sport on that week made it to 337,000 (the #10 rated figure).

The week before that soccer was the highest sport on 302,000.

The week before that the darts managed to get to 567,000.

The week before that only soccer got above 243,000.

Genuine question: what is the BBC 2 viewing figure going to be in comparison with the above?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#33 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

I'm saying if the RFL promoted the sport and the competition better, then perhaps we would have more interest in broadcasting rights. Pretending it's only played in the North is silly, especially given there's an international flavour to the tournament. Hence why I said they should look at going to YouTube if there's no interest. Streaming is going to be the way forward, you just have to get ahead of the curve. Even the NRL are streaming their live games to audiences. 

Only you are suggesting its only played in the north. AFAIK the BBC team mentioned Catalan beating London and Fev v North Wales too. thus killing your northen conspiracy idea.

#34 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

BBC stream via the iPlayer.  It's how I watched it today.  I'm well modern, me.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#35 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

that's right there is a difference, ITV4 is where they put the stuff that's generally not good enough to go on ITV. ITV is BBC's terrestrial competitor. you think for RL to promote itself and get respect we need to go, cap in hand to the BBC's terrestrial competitior and put it on their filler channel.

Yeah there's filler on there, which is why I'm saying we should go to them driectly and see if they're interested in carrying more live sport! If they had more sport on ITV1, you'd get the usual suspects moaning and whining and wanting more of Corrie instead, which is why ITV wanted a sports channel. Everyone has freeview now, so the idea that ITV4 has a smaller reach than ITV1 is wrong. 

Edited by londonrlfan, 06 April 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#36 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

So, lets say your Nigel Wood and I am the Geezer who runs ITV4 - Sell me the challenge cup, why should I put it on??  If the RFL are making mistakes, you tell me where and what they should do.

#37 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

The most recent week for which figures are available show only one sports fixture in the top 10 for ITV 4.  It's soccer with 837,000 viewers.  No other sport on that week made it to 337,000 (the #10 rated figure).

The week before that soccer was the highest sport on 302,000.

The week before that the darts managed to get to 567,000.

The week before that only soccer got above 243,000.

Genuine question: what is the BBC 2 viewing figure going to be in comparison with the above?

Not very high most likely, but I'll be surprised if today's game was in the top 10. You make it sound like those ratings are poor. 

#38 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

Yeah there's filler on there, which is why I'm saying we should go to them driectly and see if they're interested in carrying more live sport! If they had more sport on ITV1, you'd get the usual suspects moaning and whining and wanting more of Corrie instead, which is why ITV wanted a sports channel. Everyone has freeview now, so the idea that ITV4 has a smaller reach than ITV1 is wrong. 

I never said it had a smaller reach, you in fact admitted it was full of filler, keep up.

As also mentioned on the thread some of the sport on ITV4 is outside broadcasts, which RL cannot produce on our budgets, unlike Soccer or Tennis.

Also mentioned was the fact that bids were put out to tender to other channels but only the BBC and Sky wanted the cup, Sky didn't even screen a tie this round, BBC did, well done them.

#39 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

So, lets say your Nigel Wood and I am the Geezer who runs ITV4 - Sell me the challenge cup, why should I put it on??  If the RFL are making mistakes, you tell me where and what they should do.

1. RL is the second most watched sport after football domestically

2. The Challenge Cup is a European club tournament, drawing in clubs from three countries

3. Rugby league is played AND watched all over the country, with pro clubs from Gateshead to Gloucestershire (this is for UK viewing figures)

4. The Challenge Cup is the oldest rugby tournament in the world

5. The final will be watched by over 80,000 at the most famous stadium in the world, Wembley

6. There are several preliminary rounds before the professional teams enter, including University teams and the Army, Navy and Marines

7. RL is the fastest growing sport in the UK

"Now Mr ITV4 man, you're interested in more live sport. Given the facts we've passed down, would you be interested in covering the Challenge Cup on your channel? If you're not interested could explain why?" And I'd take the reasons they gave as a way to promote the sport again. 

Edited by londonrlfan, 06 April 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#40 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

I never said it had a smaller reach, you in fact admitted it was full of filler, keep up.

As also mentioned on the thread some of the sport on ITV4 is outside broadcasts, which RL cannot produce on our budgets, unlike Soccer or Tennis.

Also mentioned was the fact that bids were put out to tender to other channels but only the BBC and Sky wanted the cup, Sky didn't even screen a tie this round, BBC did, well done them.

Yes it's full of filler during the week, but the live broadcasts have excellent ratings. If Darts can get over 500,000+ why couldn't the Challenge Cup, given we get similar ratings to darts on Sky? 

Edited by londonrlfan, 06 April 2014 - 08:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users