1. RL is the second most watched sport after football domestically
2. The Challenge Cup is a European club tournament, drawing in clubs from three countries
3. Rugby league is played AND watched all over the country, with pro clubs from Gateshead to Gloucestershire (this is for UK viewing figures)
4. The Challenge Cup is the oldest rugby tournament in the world
5. The final will be watched by over 80,000 at the most famous stadium in the world, Wembley
6. There are several preliminary rounds before the professional teams enter, including University teams and the Army, Navy and Marines
7. RL is the fastest growing sport in the UK
"Now Mr ITV4 man, you're interested in more live sport. Given the facts we've passed down, would you be interested in covering the Challenge Cup on your channel? If you're not interested could explain why?" And I'd take the reasons they gave as a way to promote the sport again.
1, Can the channel pull in high earning sponsors from these viewers, and the places they are associated with?
2, This is of no importance to us as we are a UK channel, also it seems the teams from Wales are semi-pro with only a couple of thousand supporters
3, Without seeing viewing figures for Cities associated with the sport in these two lower tier teams I can't see anything other than their ability for alliteration, A cursory glance can see both organisations are very small. Such small organisations are best suited to local broadcasting and as such not what ITV are looking for
4, History is one good selling point I supose, I see it used to be called the Northen Union Challenge Cup, I suggest this lesson in history does not help modernise the image of the game as you are hoping to do
5, so will two regular season games in the NFL and Rugby Unions Premiership, they may even surpass that figure for the NFL
6, I believe this barrell scraping signals the end of our meeting today
7, I dont believe you but cannot find evidence to suggest otherwise
We would not be interested for the reasons above and that at the top level Rugby League IS a northern sport played in some unfashionable places, we can see that there are some small organisations outside of the north of England and we believe this type of sport is very much grass roots and not what we at ITV 4 are looking for.
Edited by Marv Woodburn, 06 April 2014 - 09:04 PM.