Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

unbelievable bbc

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

1. RL is the second most watched sport after football domestically

2. The Challenge Cup is a European club tournament, drawing in clubs from three countries

3. Rugby league is played AND watched all over the country, with pro clubs from Gateshead to Gloucestershire (this is for UK viewing figures)

4. The Challenge Cup is the oldest rugby tournament in the world

5. The final will be watched by over 80,000 at the most famous stadium in the world, Wembley

6. There are several preliminary rounds before the professional teams enter, including University teams and the Army, Navy and Marines

7. RL is the fastest growing sport in the UK

"Now Mr ITV4 man, you're interested in more live sport. Given the facts we've passed down, would you be interested in covering the Challenge Cup on your channel? If you're not interested could explain why?" And I'd take the reasons they gave as a way to promote the sport again. 

So when the independent media agency did this and nobody but the BBC and Sky wanted it ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#42 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

2. The Challenge Cup is a European club tournament, drawing in clubs from three countries

3. Rugby league is played AND watched all over the country, with pro clubs from Gateshead to Gloucestershire (this is for UK viewing figures)

5. The final will be watched by over 80,000 at the most famous stadium in the world, Wembley

6. There are several preliminary rounds before the professional teams enter, including University teams and the Army, Navy and Marines

"Now Mr ITV4 man, you're interested in more live sport. Given the facts we've passed down, would you be interested in covering the Challenge Cup on your channel? If you're not interested could explain why?" And I'd take the reasons they gave as a way to promote the sport again. 

Mr ITV Man replies: ithat sounds like it'd cost us in terms of televising and promoting the matches. Seeing as we are desperate to scrimp every penny due to our massive losses on everything that isn't a soap or presented by Simon Cowell, we'll buy pre-packaged highlights shows off Eurosport, thanks. They may be a bit rubbish, but they are cheap.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#43 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

So when the independent media agency did this and nobody but the BBC and Sky wanted it ...

How do we know they did? Is there something we can view from their marketing? At the end of the day, when your sponsors list as stuff like Tetley's, and formerly Leeds Met Carnegie, it's easy to make the assumption the RL is a northern sport, played and watched only by northerners. Unless we tell them otherwise, that's how it'll always be sold. We need to sell it as a prestigious international tournament that it is. Does the CC have any international rights like the SL does, or is it included in the package? 

#44 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

Mr ITV Man replies: ithat sounds like it'd cost us in terms of televising and promoting the matches. Seeing as we are desperate to scrimp every penny due to our massive losses on everything that isn't a soap or presented by Simon Cowell, we'll buy pre-packaged highlights shows off Eurosport, thanks. They may be a bit rubbish, but they are cheap.

"Dear ITV4, we notice that you recently lost the IPL coverage to Sky Sports so you have a hole in your live sports coverage. The CC has been drawing in viewing figures of [insert number] on the BBC, here is an excellent chance for you to gain viewers on your nearest rival. RL fans are very passionate in their support, both in the stands and on the sofa. Your excellent coverage of Darts regularly brings in over 500,000+ viewers across the country and you may be interested to know that the SL draws the same number of audience as darts does on sky sports, where over half the audience comes from the South of England. You will be broadcasting an international club competition, which would draw in viewing excellent figures and the price would not be any higher than what you're paying for other sports. RL has long been undersold in the broadcasting rights, but you have a sport that is very well followed and would bring in a new audience to ITV4."

Don't diss Eurosport, they do alright with their low budgets to be fair! Wouldn't mind Eurosport either. Weren't they interested in the Championship before sky bid a few years back?

#45 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

And yet another thread about how TV broadcasters should be falling over themselves to show TGG.............

#46 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

1, Can the channel pull in high earning sponsors from these viewers, and the places they are associated with?

2, This is of no importance to us as we are a UK channel, also it seems the teams from Wales are semi-pro with only a couple of thousand supporters 

3, Without seeing viewing figures for Cities associated with the sport in these two lower tier teams I can't see anything other than their ability for alliteration, A cursory glance can see both organisations are very small. Such small organisations are best suited to local broadcasting and as such not what ITV are looking for

4, History is one good selling point I supose, I see it used to be called the Northen Union Challenge Cup, I suggest this lesson in history does not help modernise the image of the game as you are hoping to do

5, so will two regular season games in the NFL and Rugby Unions Premiership, they may even surpass that figure for the NFL

6, I believe this barrell scraping signals the end of our meeting today 

7, I dont believe you but cannot find evidence to suggest otherwise

We would not be interested for the reasons above and that at the top level Rugby League IS a northern sport played in some unfashionable places, we can see that there are some small organisations outside of the north of England and we believe this type of sport is very much grass roots and not what we at ITV 4 are looking for.

Edited by Marv Woodburn, 06 April 2014 - 09:04 PM.

#47 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

"Dear ITV4, we notice that you recently lost the IPL coverage to Sky Sports so you have a hole in your live sports coverage. The CC has been drawing in viewing figures of [insert number] on the BBC, here is an excellent chance for you to gain viewers on your nearest rival. RL fans are very passionate in their support, both in the stands and on the sofa. Your excellent coverage of Darts regularly brings in over 500,000+ viewers across the country and you may be interested to know that the SL draws the same number of audience as darts does on sky sports, where over half the audience comes from the South of England. You will be broadcasting an international club competition, which would draw in viewing excellent figures and the price would not be any higher than what you're paying for other sports. RL has long been undersold in the broadcasting rights, but you have a sport that is very well followed and would bring in a new audience to ITV4."

Don't diss Eurosport, they do alright with their low budgets to be fair! Wouldn't mind Eurosport either. Weren't they interested in the Championship before sky bid a few years back?

NO! Eurosport were not interested, they did not bid and the coverage went to premier sports for nothing. But I guess thats the RFLs fault

#48 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

ITV Man: We can't afford to take risks, that's why our programmes are mostly rubbish. And if we give you the oxygen of publicity, then the RUWC contract will decamp to the BBC or Sky faster than you can say "Clive Tyldesly is a useless knob obsessed with the away goal rule". We're just waiting 'til that nice Mr Cameron eviscerates the BBC of anything profitable and we can pick up the commercially-viable bits at a knock-down price. Until then, investment? Why bother?.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#49 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

NO! Eurosport were not interested, they did not bid and the coverage went to premier sports for nothing. But I guess thats the RFLs fault

I meant before that, when Sky Sports started showing it for the first time.

Ah, here we are http://www.theguardi...gbyleague.sport

#50 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

I am just watching ITV's news bulletin, they are showing F1, football highlights, the rowing, davis cup tennis and but nothing about the RL. ITV are a disgrace and have no right to show the Rugby League.

Oh wait hang on they don't. 

#51 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

I meant before that, when Sky Sports started showing it for the first time.

Ah, here we are http://www.theguardi...gbyleague.sport

so they were going to bid, but didn't. I wonder why.

#52 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,824 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

I am just watching ITV's news bulletin, they are showing F1, football highlights, the rowing, davis cup tennis and but nothing about the RL. ITV are a disgrace and have no right to show the Rugby League.

Or, to paraphrase "ITV aren't really good at anything much".

#53 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

so they were going to bid, but didn't. I wonder why.

Because Sky outbid them at the last minute. The fact they were interested is a good sign, especially the level as well. 

#54 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Because they don't have the rights and the BBC is a rival channel. 

#55 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Because they don't have the rights and the BBC is a rival channel. 

Yet they showed the BBC coverage of the boat race. If ITV were as interested in RL as you think they might be, you would have thought they might ask for some when they took the footage of the race.

Or just maybe  the reality is they are not as interested as you think.

#56 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Because Sky outbid them at the last minute. The fact they were interested is a good sign, especially the level as well. 

but not interested enough to top sky, who subsequently let premier have the coverage. They have shown next to no interest in RL since. Not too heartening for mine

#57 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

The sooner RL leaves the BBC, the better. Go somewhere that will give it respect. If I were in the RFL, I'd be looking around to find a new home for CC games. ITV4, for example, has a lot of filler and repeats, but if we offered it to them, I'm sure they'd be interested.

The BBC has been a total Disgrace,,,,,lets Feck them right off
[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#58 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

ITV are good at showing adverts.

They have no other purpose and are not interested in anything that doesn't pull in the big advertisers.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#59 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

The BBC has been a total Disgrace,,,,,lets Feck them right off

and do what, have no challenge cup on the TV, great idea!

#60 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

Yet they showed the BBC coverage of the boat race. If ITV were as interested in RL as you think they might be, you would have thought they might ask for some when they took the footage of the race.

Or just maybe  the reality is they are not as interested as you think.

Well the Boat Race is one of the biggest events in the UK sports calendar, so no surprises there. The BBC promote the Grand National, even though it's on C4. Unless ITV were showing the match live, then completely ignored it on their sports news, then it would be different. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users