Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

unbelievable bbc

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#101 SteveT

SteveT
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Oh please Sky take note, I'm sure Cantonese basketball commentary will make more sense than Stevo, and Paul Cullen.

I'd be more than welcome to offer some sort of stream so you can experience this uniqueness. Never been a fan of Cullen and they certainly make more sense than him! A bit weird with the crowds being out of sync though.

#102 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

On the subject of television ratings from previous pages, can someone please remind me: did England/New Zealand at Wembley last year attract 2.6m? That is the figure in my head. Thanks.

#103 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 638 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

1. RL is the second most watched sport after football domestically

2. The Challenge Cup is a European club tournament, drawing in clubs from three countries

3. Rugby league is played AND watched all over the country, with pro clubs from Gateshead to Gloucestershire (this is for UK viewing figures)

4. The Challenge Cup is the oldest rugby tournament in the world

5. The final will be watched by over 80,000 at the most famous stadium in the world, Wembley

6. There are several preliminary rounds before the professional teams enter, including University teams and the Army, Navy and Marines

7. RL is the fastest growing sport in the UK

"Now Mr ITV4 man, you're interested in more live sport. Given the facts we've passed down, would you be interested in covering the Challenge Cup on your channel? If you're not interested could explain why?" And I'd take the reasons they gave as a way to promote the sport again. 

1. Are you sure about this. Some evidence to back this up would be helpful.

3. It is heavily concentrated along a narrow geographical band. 

4. No it is not, it is pre-dated by several other tournaments.

5. The last 3 Wembley finals have been less than that predicting such an attendance months before the event is wishful thinking

7. Are you sure about this? You had better tell SportEngland and the RFL

Most of the points you presented are not facts some are just plain wrong other are irrelevant to any interested broadcaster. 

#104 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

I think the BBC coverage by their sports department is very good. Their WC coverage was excellent.

The problem seem to be that there is a disconnect between the Sports Department and the news and Programming departments. The Sports department does a good job of covering the games but the rest of the organisation seems to be stuck in the old fashioned attitude that the BBC has always had where we are patronised and ignored as irrelevant by the Union leaning, southern biased public school, class centric cliques that still seem to predominate in the Corporation's departmental hierarchies

The production quality of the BBC's coverage is now at a very high standard, but their overall coverage of the sport is disappointing, and the coverage of the WC as a tournament was certainly not excellent.

They didn't bother with the opening ceremony, showed only two games not involving England, had half-hearted highlights show scheduling, missing things like Scotland games.

What they do is very good, they just can't be that bothered doing too much.

#105 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

A quick glance at Barb's figures for SL in March:

6th 115k

7th 232k

14th 215k

22nd 87k

No other games that Sky have shown make the top 10's as reported by BARB.

ITV 4 programmes in position 10 in March?

Waterworld 234k

storage wars 337k

European Soccer 302k

300 (film) 350k

Serenity, 243k

Sky is Pay TV, ITV is FTA but the reality is, ITV will pay a pittance for the programmes that currently fill their channel.....SKY pay about

£250,000 a game plus production costs etc.

The BBC may not be a perfect partner, but they are certainly better than consigning the CC to the wastelands of ITV 4.

#106 lionwolf

lionwolf
  • Facebook
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

ITV4 with the Challenge Cup would have the same scheduling problem as the BBC in ITV4 case BTCC and Tour de France whereas  this year the BBC have F1 (some) and the World Cup which is why the three TV rounds are scheduled close together

Edited by lionwolf, 07 April 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#107 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

Rugby League generally gives solid viewing figures for very little investment. 

It would be great to see what the sport could actually do it it had partners who genuinely wanted to help to grow the sport.

Look how the RUWC has grown over the years, ITV have played a very big part in that with their blanket coverage in advnace and during the tournament, similar to the BBC and the 6Nations.

It is however much easier for broadcasters to get behind international events than it is a club tournament - and I genuinely hope that the 2017 World Cup would see a much better effort from the BBC, although with it being held Down Under I suspect they have an excuse for not really pushing it, although ITV still massively push the RUWC when Down Under.

#108 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

The production quality of the BBC's coverage is now at a very high standard, but their overall coverage of the sport is disappointing, and the coverage of the WC as a tournament was certainly not excellent.

They didn't bother with the opening ceremony, showed only two games not involving England, had half-hearted highlights show scheduling, missing things like Scotland games.

What they do is very good, they just can't be that bothered doing too much.

Fair comment. I meant that what they did cover was a good standard, but the point about not covering Scotland and Wales is very valid.

#109 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

I'll never complain about the perceived effort or lack of. Even if they wanted to be fair, they know they are dealing with a basket case of a sport.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#110 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

I'll never complain about the perceived effort or lack of. Even if they wanted to be fair, they know they are dealing with a basket case of a sport.

that doesnt really have anything to do with their coverage.

#111 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

that doesnt really have anything to do with their coverage.

It has everything to do with their coverage. They might start to care when we care about our product. When you don't value yourself, how the hell can you expect much respect from others?

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#112 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

1. RL is the second most watched sport after football domestically

2. The Challenge Cup is a European club tournament, drawing in clubs from three countries

3. Rugby league is played AND watched all over the country, with pro clubs from Gateshead to Gloucestershire (this is for UK viewing figures)

4. The Challenge Cup is the oldest rugby tournament in the world

5. The final will be watched by over 80,000 at the most famous stadium in the world, Wembley

6. There are several preliminary rounds before the professional teams enter, including University teams and the Army, Navy and Marines

7. RL is the fastest growing sport in the UK

"Now Mr ITV4 man, you're interested in more live sport. Given the facts we've passed down, would you be interested in covering the Challenge Cup on your channel? If you're not interested could explain why?" And I'd take the reasons they gave as a way to promote the sport again. 

Are you sure about number one? I though union has much more products (Heineken cup, Amlin Cup, Pro D12, Aviva, Anglo Welsh, Six Nations & SH/NH tours) in the UK market.

#113 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Are you sure about number one? I though union has much more products (Heineken cup, Amlin Cup, Pro D12, Aviva, Anglo Welsh, Six Nations & SH/NH tours) in the UK market.

Indeed.

#114 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

It's busy under the bridge today. Unless you're different persona for the same "person"?

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 09 April 2014 - 07:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users