Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How can rugby league be improved, almost 6 months on from RLWC?

RLWC2013 world cup rugby league legacy improve 6 months on

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 melissa2593

melissa2593
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

I'm making a radio documentary on whether the RLWC2013 has actually left a legacy for the sport in Britain.

I'd really appreciate any fans opinions on how the game can be improved and what needs to be done to get more people watching the sport many of us love.

Mel.

#2 JonNgog

JonNgog
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

It's too early to think about a lasting legacy but it's hard to be too convinced - there is still no scheduled top international competition for 2014 (4 Nations) which is very poor. In terms of Britain, the TV viewing figures for weekly Super League matches is massively up but who knows how this will last. Crowds started with a huge increase from last year but have levelled out a bit since. The RFL continues to be controversial as ever.

In my opinion the World Cup was a great event but it came at a time when our game is at something of a crossroads. Interesting times for sure.

#3 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 990 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

I guess we need a solid international calender for the future. Its said a lot on here that many people outside the north enjoy watching RL but (I'm only guessing) it must be difficult for them get exited about two small northern towns when a live game is on the TV. Sometimes I find it hard to eulogise about St Helens and Huddersfield and I have been an RL fan since the age of 9.

Regular Internationals allows the game to focus on the country as a whole and sell ourselves as a Nationwide sport, representing all of the game and therefore making it easy to watch and support. Some guys I know who are not rugby fans of either code watched the England games on the BBC and that created a talking point betwen me and my non-rugby watching/playing friends. I bet they didn't watch the game yesterday.

#4 melissa2593

melissa2593
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the speedy responses guys. 

Would you be able to record your answers? I'm trying to get a range of fans opinions for the documentary by going to various matches and asking fans but obviously need some sound from your great opinions.

Thanks

Melissa

#5 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

We've learnt that a comprehensive international calendar, planned well in advance, is absolutely crucial.

In fact, the success of the World Cup made it so obvious, the RLIF have now kicked back in their chair in the knowledge they've cracked it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#6 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the speedy responses guys. 

Would you be able to record your answers? I'm trying to get a range of fans opinions for the documentary by going to various matches and asking fans but obviously need some sound from your great opinions.

Thanks

Melissa

You could do a 'points of view' and get a voice actor (or much cheaper, friend) to read them out. Preferably not in a comedy Lancastrian or Yorkshire accent though  :tongue:

For me, it's too early to talk about legacy. It's hard to get an international calendar together when there's such a big disparity between the top few and the next tier of teams. I know you asked about Britain it's more about the other nations around the world. Until there's a wider range of competitive options, it'll be difficult to market the international game in England unless it involves NZ or Australia. Hopefully Fiji can progress and make it a big four but we've no way of knowing yet as, although they now have a decent sponsorship deal courtesy of the RLWC, we won't see how they've progressed until they play Samoa and potentially the 4Nations.

I'd love to see a touring Fijian, Samoan, PNG, Tongan team over here but realistically, is there enough money for that. Would also love to see a Wales or Scotland team do the reverse down under. Hopefully England can play a game in PNG as a warm up to the 4Nations at the end of this year. The world cup made a nice profit but is there enough money trickling down to any of these nations for these sort of things? Too early to say yet.

The other legacy for here would be an increase in the people playing the game, both in quantity and geographically. I believe that is happening and RL is one of the few sports to be hitting the Sports England targets. The only real downside is the London Broncos woes as if we do get some real prospects in the south of the country, the path to a fully pro team looks set to be limited to moving up north after this year. Fingers crossed for a London rebuilding next year. 

#7 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Continued investment in the marketing of a robust international schedule, especially making use of the State of Origin holes in the season. Also, better organisation of the second and third tiers of teams - this is happening to an extent in Europe.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

The chance for a legacy has already been lost.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 813 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

1. A stronger marketing and communications campaign, ie the 'IntlRL' Facebook and Twitter accounts were a good idea. We need to utilise social media as an outlet to grow the sport.

2. A full time CEO of the RLIF. This MUST happen, no ifs or buts. 

3. More money put into grassroots in the UK: schools, development officers, touch rl, wheelchair rl etc.

4. Giving more respect to international teams that aren't called Australia and NZ, ie playing France in France rather than 'Exiles'.

5. A national training centre for England youth teams and the full England team to train and develop at, similar to St George's Park in football and perhaps base it out of Loughborough Uni. 

#10 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Continued investment in the marketing of a robust international schedule, especially making use of the State of Origin holes in the season. Also, better organisation of the second and third tiers of teams - this is happening to an extent in Europe.

If only the Aussies could be convinced to play SOO on weekends and maybe even play back to back weekends, this would open up so many possibilities. Mini-tournament for the island nations + England-NZ two test series would be nice.

As it is, unfortunately they aren't really gaps, more like additional fixtures where there is no space for them.

#11 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

This! I have now planned other things for this autumn after intending to fly down under for the 4N. I can't book anything on the hope of an announcement - and I'm sure there are 100s of people in the same boat. I've had enough!

And don't get me started on the home international programme.

#12 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 813 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

This! I have now planned other things for this autumn after intending to fly down under for the 4N. I can't book anything on the hope of an announcement - and I'm sure there are 100s of people in the same boat. I've had enough!

And don't get me started on the home international programme.

Which is why we need to desperately grow the international programme in Europe. The Aussies don't care about anything other than Origin and the NRL and I'd had enough of it ruining the international programme. We need more competitions without relying on the Aussies. 

#13 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,905 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

To build on this tournament, planning needed to start a long time before the 2013 tournament kicked off. Look at the soccer WC or the RU WC, plans are in place for subsequent tournaments already.

As already stated people complain about poor attendances but as a fan how are you supposed to plan travel, time off work, etc when there is no definite news of dates, venues and costs.

28m391z.jpg

#14 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

Which is why we need to desperately grow the international programme in Europe. The Aussies don't care about anything other than Origin and the NRL and I'd had enough of it ruining the international programme. We need more competitions without relying on the Aussies. 

Yes, we should be playing mid season internationals. Maybe games against the French or Welsh, or maybe a series against a team of, oh I don't know, say a team of SL based overseas players.

Remind me on how many internationals the RFL have got planned for this season?

#15 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 990 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

Yes, we should be playing mid season internationals. Maybe games against the French or Welsh, or maybe a series against a team of, oh I don't know, say a team of SL based overseas players.

Remind me on how many internationals the RFL have got planned for this season?

I'm pretty much alone I think but I like the exiles concept, and genuinley believe France and Wales mid season with even a few  players unavailible give England nothing and take less themselves.

I think when people complain about the exiles taking a game off France or Wales they should perhaps look toward the WRL or the FFR13 and ask them - "whats stopping you two organisations getting off your backsides and organising a mid season friendly between yourselves?"

#16 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 990 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

You could do a 'points of view' and get a voice actor (or much cheaper, friend) to read them out. Preferably not in a comedy Lancastrian or Yorkshire accent though  :tongue:

You beat me to it.

#17 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

In addition to international calender, not having one is shear madness...

The RLWC showed bigger interest in area's that surprised, e.g. Bristol, etc... Thus have an occasional major SL game at one of the "surprised" locations.  To make it happen could take away one of the games from Magic weekend and play it down at one of the locations and still beam onto big screen in Manchester.

#18 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

The knuckle dragging minority in the sport were already making sure any legacy would soon be lost.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users