Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hornets Shares Held By The RFL

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

I was told at the game against Leigh on Sunday that Rochdale Football Club is having a meeting with the Rugby Football League. The purpose of the meeting is to explore the possibility of buying the Hornets shares back from the RFL.

While this could be just an unfounded rumour it could also potentially be a disastrous event for the future of Hornets if true. It is hard to believe that they would not be purchasing the shares with our best interests at heart.

We need to know the validity of this rumour as soon as possible. I was under the impression that the two clubs were working together better than at any time in the past. I would like to think that was true and would continue to strengthen.

Edited by Big Doug, 07 April 2014 - 09:17 AM.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#2 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

they are RFL shares, not Hornet shares. I don't call an ex girlfriend "my girlfriend who's with another bloke"

Anyways, club statement from us no doubt prompted by those rumours and it includes confirmation that any deal would included a lease for yourselves.

http://www.rochdalea...14-1472444.aspx

Interfering bloke who supports Dale.

#3 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

I was told at the game against Leigh on Sunday that Rochdale Football Club is having a meeting with the Rugby Football League. The purpose of the meeting is to explore the possibility of buying the Hornets shares back from the RFL.

While this could be just an unfounded rumour it could also potentially be a disastrous event for the future of Hornets if true. It is hard to believe that they would not be purchasing the shares with our best interests at heart.

We need to know the validity of this rumour as soon as possible. I was under the impression that the two clubs were working together better than at any time in the past. I would like to think that was true and would continue to strengthen.

By "the shares" you mean the shares in Spotland Stadium that were held by the old Rochdale Hornets not the Co-op?

I can't see it being true, I've been told that the RFL value the shares on their balance sheet in the millions of pounds. I doubt that Hornets the co-op could pay the RFL's valuation and for the RFL to sell them to the co-op for the £50,000 it cost would adversely affect the RFL's valuation of the RFL.

And to be honest I don't think Hornets even afford £50,000 even if it was offered.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#4 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

I know the RFL board are stupid but I'd be surprised if they were that stupid Doug. It would be tantamount to closing Hornets down if the shares were sold to the football club. We had a very close shave before we formed the Co-op. Anybody who thinks the football club have our best interests at heart isn't dealing with a full deck.

#5 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

I know the RFL board are stupid but I'd be surprised if they were that stupid Doug. It would be tantamount to closing Hornets down if the shares were sold to the football club. We had a very close shave before we formed the Co-op. Anybody who thinks the football club have our best interests at heart isn't dealing with a full deck.

If they're offered enough money Tyrone they'll take it, I suspect there'll be a covenant that Hornets will get a 10 year lease that'll increases with inflation every time it's renewed or something similar.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#6 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

I'm right with Tyrone on this one!!  The RFL would find that the quickest way to reduce the number of clubs by one.  Yeah, course they would have to offer us a lease and you can bet your life it would rocket at the earliest opportunity o one we had absolutely no chance of affording.

I like Dale and really want them to taste success again this season, I follow the games on the BBC website but you only have to take a quick look at decisions by the Dale board to see they are desperately short of cash.  Like giving Hogan, their top scorer and second in the division chance to leave in January?!?!?!?  Which sodding idiot believes that is going to help with their promotion chances???

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#7 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

If they're offered enough money Tyrone they'll take it, I suspect there'll be a covenant that Hornets will get a 10 year lease that'll increases with inflation every time it's renewed or something similar.

We'd be crazy to take their word, verbal or in writing Puggy. There's a significant faction at the football club that would like Hornets to go out of business.

#8 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

Doesn't the club have friends in high places at the council and doesn't the agreement state that shares of one party can only be transferred 

or sold with the agreement of the other parties?  If so both the RFL and the council would have to agree to The RFL shares being bought by the Dale.

However that implies that the Dale agreed to the RFL taking over the shares of the old Rochdale Hornets, which seems unlikely.   So maybe what we were told about the agreement was not strictly true.

Anybody on here know the truth about the Stadium agreement?

#9 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

It's a done deal. BBC radio confirmed it this afternoon.
That leads to many questions.
Did the RFL inform Hornets of the proposal to by by Richdale AFC and if they did why were the members of Rochdale Hornets not informed.
If the RFL did not inform Hornets. Why not?
What involvement have the council had in all this.
We seriously need to know the answers to these questions now.

#10 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Follow this link for more information

#11 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

Follow this link for more information

#12 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

That link takes me around in circles Doug, if it's true the RFL has cut our throats for a few quid. I'm disgusted.

#13 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

I wouldnt necessarily believe the BBC. I'd imagine they are misreporting Dale's take on it from this morning, unless they are privy to information not previously announced. The information in the statement put out by Dale today is eleven days old anyway, after the initial question was asked at the AGM on Thurs 27th March.

I can understand concern on here, but its neither in the RFL's or our interest to see Hornets play somewhere other than Spotland. This year has shown that a properly maintained pitch can accommodate both teams, and the rent paid by a tenant will only help the running of the ground. Yes, we will be acting in the best interest of ourselves, but it would not be in the best interest of ourselves to price you out, and leave ourselves without a tennant to help with the bills.

I'm sure the RFL would love nothing more than to sell the shares to Hornets, but its plainly obvious that Hornets will not be in a position to pay for the shares or to take on board their share of the £680,000 debt that currently stands within the Stadium Company, and more than anything, the RFL will not want to have to find the funds t pay their share of that debt that will be called in within the next few years.

#14 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

think this is the link Doug is trying to post

#15 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 729 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

Not a done deal yet, I heard the report on Manchester Radio twice this afternoon, but they only said, "Had made an offer". So we will have to wait and see how fickle the RFL can be. But the quote from Dales statement I think says it all, " Secure Spotland so the Football Club can be there for the next 100 years, oh and by the way we will give Hornets a lease.

ON NO ACCOUNT SHOULD OUR BOARD AGREE FOR THE RFL TO SELL THE SHARES.

Amazing how this has reared its head now Hilly is back.

Edited by The Baron Mk11, 07 April 2014 - 05:29 PM.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#16 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

Would your board have any say in the matter?

#17 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

Would your board have any say in the matter?

Given the fact that we are able to put pressure on the RFL board yes we have. This year we have seen a great revival in the fortunes of our club after twenty years of decline. Would the RFL want the demise of an ancient club on their conscience especially at this moment in time ? Somehow I can't see it.

I don't trust any representative of the football club regarding this issue. Coldale's response is typical, if you believe that you'll believe anything.

We need to lobby our elected board members to pressure the RFL. If they are thinking of stabbing us in the back they need to think again.

#18 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

Not a done deal yet, I heard the report on Manchester Radio twice this afternoon, but they only said, "Had made an offer". So we will have to wait and see how fickle the RFL can be. But the quote from Dales statement I think says it all, " Secure Spotland so the Football Club can be there for the next 100 years, oh and by the way we will give Hornets a lease.

ON NO ACCOUNT SHOULD OUR BOARD AGREE FOR THE RFL TO SELL THE SHARES.

Amazing how this has reared its head now Hilly is back.

Mm, a bit of success and look what happens. I can remember when they played in Bolton's kit and their nickname was " The White Mice ".

#19 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

Stadium Company/Council underwritten £670k debt and rising, breakdown of which is?

#20 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

This is such an important matter that a response to its members from the board of Hornets is esential. An emergency meeting of the members is required as a minimum in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users