Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hornets Shares Held By The RFL

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

Not a done deal yet, I heard the report on Manchester Radio twice this afternoon, but they only said, "Had made an offer". So we will have to wait and see how fickle the RFL can be. But the quote from Dales statement I think says it all, " Secure Spotland so the Football Club can be there for the next 100 years, oh and by the way we will give Hornets a lease.

ON NO ACCOUNT SHOULD OUR BOARD AGREE FOR THE RFL TO SELL THE SHARES

I am a supporter of both the Football Club and the Rugby Club. I want them both to survive and blossom using Spotland Stadium. However I feel that I am in a minority so far as the Football Club and Fan is concerned.

If the current debt of the Stadium is £670k I would be amazed if the Football club are prepared to take that figure on in a grand takeover. I would also be very very concerned as to the continued presence of Hornets at Spotland with the Football Club as a landlord.

If the pitch is now able to sustain Football and Rugby how come that we still have to play away for six matches on the trot around the month of June. We are currently tolerated by the Football cub but with a change in ownership we would be doomed.

I am concerned that we have had nothing but silence from the Hornets Board on this absolutely crucial situation.

The offer to the RFL by the Football Club may only be an offer but HORNETS SHOULD BE ADDRESSING THIS HERE AND NOW.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#22 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

First lets get the 'disallowed try' issue sorted out. From the decision he obviously saw the original Leigh knock on and then one of our players did the same hence no try and Hornets head & feed.

Now the performance. I was proud to be a Hornet today as we went behind twice but never gave in. We kept battling and at times we were the better team but there was that underlying fear that Leigh would start to hit the straps again. Leigh were bigger and faster but Hornets were not going to be cowed and stood up to them.

As I sat in reception waiting for my taxi home their was a steady stream of people coming through who all showed their appreciation and praised the game we had just produced. There is little doubt that Leigh will be in the top 3 this season and to say we've caused them problems two weeks in a row.

Ian Talbot must be a very proud man tonight.

Now to the next group of games and if we can put some more points on the board who knows what we can do by theseason end.

Pugwash.

I agree with that Doug. This issue needs addressing promptly. We need to make clear to the RFL that if they make any deal with the football club re the shares they are in effect signing our death warrant.

It sounds to me like they're not aware of the real situation at the stadium, they need putting in the picture.

Sorry Puggy, I've inadvertently copied in your previous post.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 07 April 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#23 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:12 AM

I agree with Col,why would anybody in their right mind kick out people who help to keep the company afloat? It`s not like renting a house is it? Hornets,or some other football team of any code,can only be the ones to come in as a tenant. Ground sharing is the only sensible way to go these days.

How the Stadium company is 670,000 pounds in debt is anybody`s guess,but it must be being managed by somebody and it`s not as if the business is haemorrhaging a million a month like Leeds United are reportedly doing.

Chris Dunphy has worked miracles for Dale on a breadline income,they`re on the cusp of a second promotion in five years,so I can`t see why he`d put more pressure on Dale`s finances by booting Hornets out.

#24 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 776 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

This is such an important matter that a response to its members from the board of Hornets is esential. An emergency meeting of the members is required as a minimum in my opinion.

Doug, all members have received an email from the office, check your inbox.

Kind Regards

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#25 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

I agree with Col,why would anybody in their right mind kick out people who help to keep the company afloat? It`s not like renting a house is it? Hornets,or some other football team of any code,can only be the ones to come in as a tenant. Ground sharing is the only sensible way to go these days.
How the Stadium company is 670,000 pounds in debt is anybody`s guess,but it must be being managed by somebody and it`s not as if the business is haemorrhaging a million a month like Leeds United are reportedly doing.
Chris Dunphy has worked miracles for Dale on a breadline income,they`re on the cusp of a second promotion in five years,so I can`t see why he`d put more pressure on Dale`s finances by booting Hornets out.

Sorry Dave but you've been too far away for too long to have a realistic grasp of the situation. If this comes to fruition Hornets will eventually be forced out of the ground and probably out of existence. Most football club fans would be prepared to take the financial hit to remove Hornets from the scene.

You only have to read the rantings on the football club message board to see the level of antagonism against our club.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 08 April 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#26 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

TS

When Hornets reformed after the old company went bust, was there not an opportunity then to get rid of Hornets should that be our great masterplan?

I'd have assumed, and it is only an assumption, that when relaunching Hornets, they had to approach the Stadium Company and ask them if they could play at Spotland, as there wasn't any legal reasons entitling them to do so. Therefore, even at a time where relations between football and rugby were at their lowest given the cash owed to the Stadium Company by the old Hornets, there was no attempt to block Rugby League from continuing at Spotland (unless you know better than I do) because it is on our best interests to have you here. 

Interfering bloke who supports Dale.

#27 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 999 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

I can understand people being worried and interested in the sale of the RFL shares in Spotland but claiming it'll be the end of Hornets is a little bit hysterical IMVHO.

Hornets are merely tenants at Spotland at the moment and as/when the RFL sell their shares in Denehurst Park Ltd we will continue to be tenants, unless you actually believe the conspiracy theories of being priced out or forced out of Spotland some other way.

As CD says above the Dale had ample opportunity to boot out the new Hornets in 2009 even before we moved in, why would they kick us out now?

Why would they make things so difficult for us that we would be forced out?

We pay rent and despite what some on the Dale forum would have you believe nothing is overdue or unpaid for.

Even if the RFL didn't put covenants and agreements in the sale the Dale aren't daft enough (even if one or two of their fans are) to forgo the £60K rent and profits from the bar and catering etc.

I suppose some might be worried about a doubling of the rent or refusing to let the spotlights be used or some other fanciful conspiracy theory but that would force Hornets out and they'd lose the rent money. Sorry not going to happen.

Don't forget the Dale are not just buying the RFL's share but also the council's and I very much doubt that they'll agree to a sale with out legally binding agreements  and assurances from the Dale.

I'm not overly worried. Whitehaven next.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#28 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:51 AM

I am amazed at the response on this subject.
26 comments. There are 14 responses about which ref we have next. Has no one a comment to make.
If we are not careful we could end up ground sharing at Whitebank with our dear neighbours.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#29 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 776 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

There are no comments because there is no new information yet. I'm afraid we will just have to wait and see. There are a few things bouncing around in my head which I will share with you on Sunday Doug.

Kind Regards

#30 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 999 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

http://www.loverugby...nity-value.html

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#31 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

How ironic Big Doug. Whitebank is a disgrace to the game, Spotland is a great stadium and without the sale of the athletics ground would be a shadow of what it now is.

670k debt does that include the building costs carried out on the stadia since the sale of the athletics ground? if so that does not seem a great concern.

Plan B could be a rugby league centre of excellence on a smaller scale than Leigh Sporting Village and shared by Hornets and Oldham. The Kingsway development hugging the 62 would be ideal.

I do believe Hornets would eventually be priced out of Spotland, with stewarding costs and Hornets historical low fan base. I really hope if the RFL goes down this route they do not accept a ten year lease that would soon pass.

#32 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

More news in the Observer about assets of community value (ACV) of which the Spotland Ground is now registered as, for interested parties who are not members.

Members are already in receipt of this information

#33 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

In all honesty a friendly game Hornets V Hunslet being postponed having any effect on the underlying issues is absurd to say the least.

#34 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

To be perfectly frank I think the Dale board should be more worried with the usual plummet in form as Dale get close to any success!  Last time they were promoted they were streets ahead and proceeded to show relegation form until they eventually dragged their backsides over the line in third place.  As it stands Dale must end up in the play offs at least but they shouldn't chance their arm in that lottery.  If they get 2 more wins from the 4 remaining matches they are automatically promoted but at the moment only the truly committed should bet the farm on that horse!

A suspicious person might be wondering given recent findings ........well you get my drift?!?!?!?

I still hope for the best for the fans that pour money in year after year.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#35 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

To be perfectly frank I think the Dale board should be more worried with the usual plummet in form as Dale get close to any success!  Last time they were promoted they were streets ahead and proceeded to show relegation form until they eventually dragged their backsides over the line in third place.  As it stands Dale must end up in the play offs at least but they shouldn't chance their arm in that lottery.  If they get 2 more wins from the 4 remaining matches they are automatically promoted but at the moment only the truly committed should bet the farm on that horse!

A suspicious person might be wondering given recent findings ........well you get my drift?!?!?!?

I still hope for the best for the fans that pour money in year after year.

Pugwash.

If someone had posted that about Hornets, it would have been deleted within seconds. You're an intelligent man Puggy, so there's no need to gloat because we've lost our second game in two months, and to suggest that something sinister is going on. 

Interfering bloke who supports Dale.

#36 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:14 AM

You have got me completely wrong there Col, I always look out for Dales's results and so far this season I've been happy to see them coasting along but you know what happened a few seasons back they had a disastrous run of defeats which included, if I'm not mistaken, a particularly heavy defeat at the bottom of the league?!?!? Now let's look at facts. Dale 270+ without scoring, 2 points from 9 and a board that one month is trying to part company with their top scorer and then try to splash cash on the RFL's shares. Were you happy at the decision to allow Hogan to leave, and just happy that the guy refused, I was! I can't afford o watch Dale as well as Hornets but in all other resects I am a Dale fan. My son was a mascot one freezing January night and my brother flew in to watch the play-off final from Canada and returned the day after. Many years ago my brother was chair of the Supporters Club and ran the coaches to away games. Those heady days of the games with Leeds and Wednesday seem a long way off at the moment! I'll try to make this patently clear, I not only want Dale to go up I want them to stay up and prosper. I hope that's clear! Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#37 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

I just noticed this quote from the football club chairman in todays Observer. " The football team are the only good news in Rochdale at the moment. Everything you hear about the town seems to be bad. Football is something that is putting a smile on peoples faces ".

I can tell him that Hornets winning the play off final put a smile on my face that I've still got. Our start to the new season caused a few grins as well. Maybe he should get out more.

#38 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

Absolutely TS, when you cast your mind back to the tail end of last season with our great finish which concluded with us beating Oldham twice and being crowned play-off champions and achieving promotion in doing so.  Then the unqualified success of the World Cup tie completely selling out and the whole thing running like clockwork on the night. 

Couple the above with what is now looking like a realistic chance of putting a good run in the Championship and the future as well as the recent past is looking exceedingly bright.

Long may it continue!!

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.