Photo
- - - - -

Sean O'Loughlin v Paul Sculthorpe - which one was better?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

If you could select just one to play at loose forward for your team which one would you have?

#2 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

If you could select just one to play at loose forward for your team which one would you have?

There is no question and no need to answer,,,in fact its a really stupid question...

[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#3 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

There is no question and no need to answer,,,in fact its a really stupid question...

Sculthorpe by a mile
SOL is qualty though but PS had the X Factor

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

I would go for O'Loughlin, both great players. Similar in some ways different in others. I think he's a bit more influential compared to Sculthorpe at his best.

#5 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

I think with these sort of questions you'd need to wait 5 or 10 years after SOL has retired before you could answer it.

#6 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

Sculthorpe was a much better player, but SOL a much more honest one. I'd have SOL in a Bulls shirt before Sculthorpe.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#7 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

Depends if you were building a side or adding a player to it. If I was adding a player to a side I'd go Sculthorpe if I was building a side I'd go O Loughlin. Sculthorpe was probably slightly better than all areas than O Loughlin apart from organisation. I think the organisation O Loughlin offers between the forwards and the backs is priceless. It's one of the reasons why Wigan have been so successful over the last couple of years and the loss of quality talent has not affected them that much. A 6 - 7th place quality squad was made into a doubling winning one due to 2 players in Tomkins and O Loughlin. The organisation they offered to the side meant they could play with a ruthless structure which blew sides away by exposing their weaknesses. O Loughlin was a major part in the organisation. Add that to his work in defence and attack and also ball handling skills I'd build a team around O Loughlin. I'd have Sculthorpe in at second row though.

In my SL dream team I have both of them in the side. It goes:

Sam Tomkins
Ryan Hall
Keith Senior
Jamie Lyon
Lesley Vanikolo
Lee Briers
Sean Long
Jamie Peacock
Keiron Cunningham
James Graham
Paul Sculthorpe
Andy Farrell
Sean O Loughlin

Sculthorpe the better player but I'd rather build a team round O Loughlin for the reasons stated above.

#8 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:15 PM

Scully filled in at half back and kicked goals, he was a more rounded player, the better question would be farrell or scully..... but a neutral answer would not be found on this site.....

#9 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

Depends if you were building a side or adding a player to it. If I was adding a player to a side I'd go Sculthorpe if I was building a side I'd go O Loughlin. Sculthorpe was probably slightly better than all areas than O Loughlin apart from organisation. I think the organisation O Loughlin offers between the forwards and the backs is priceless. It's one of the reasons why Wigan have been so successful over the last couple of years and the loss of quality talent has not affected them that much. A 6 - 7th place quality squad was made into a doubling winning one due to 2 players in Tomkins and O Loughlin. The organisation they offered to the side meant they could play with a ruthless structure which blew sides away by exposing their weaknesses. O Loughlin was a major part in the organisation. Add that to his work in defence and attack and also ball handling skills I'd build a team around O Loughlin. I'd have Sculthorpe in at second row though.

In my SL dream team I have both of them in the side. It goes:

Sam Tomkins
Ryan Hall
Keith Senior
Jamie Lyon
Lesley Vanikolo
Lee Briers
Sean Long
Jamie Peacock
Keiron Cunningham
James Graham
Paul Sculthorpe
Andy Farrell
Sean O Loughlin

Sculthorpe the better player but I'd rather build a team round O Loughlin for the reasons stated above.

you have 2 scrum halfs and three loose forwards, they would cancel each other out, you are asking a lot of the 2 props as the 'honest' forwards....and in SL the interchanges are part of the team so you would need these.....just sayin....

#10 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:35 PM

you have 2 scrum halfs and three loose forwards, they would cancel each other out, you are asking a lot of the 2 props as the 'honest' forwards....and in SL the interchanges are part of the team so you would need these.....just sayin....

You can have 2 scrum halfs at 6 and 7. The best can adapt their roles which I'm sure the above could easily. If you're unsure then watch recent Australia and Queensland performances with Cronk and Thurston who both are scrum halves.

I don't think you can say the backrow don't get through honest work. All 3 were among the hardest workers in their respective sides. They just had exceptional ball handling skills which is why they were put at 13. Having a backrow full of ball handlers is very hard to play against IMO which is why I'd want them in. They'd get through the graft just as much as other second rowers who do not have the equivalent ball handling skills. I don't have stats to hand for all 3 of them. But I know for O Loughlin off past readings he is always in the top for tackle counts and metres. I'm sure Farrell and Sculthorpe would be the same.

I did not think the bench was relevant to the point I was trying to make. I was just trying to highlight the structure I would have in an RL side. Putting it in a X111 would make it easier to visualize.

#11 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:38 PM

You can have 2 scrum halfs at 6 and 7. The best can adapt their roles which I'm sure the above could easily. If you're unsure then watch recent Australia and Queensland performances with Cronk and Thurston who both are scrum halves.

I don't think you can say the backrow don't get through honest work. All 3 were among the hardest workers in their respective sides. They just had exceptional ball handling skills which is why they were put at 13. Having a backrow full of ball handlers is very hard to play against IMO which is why I'd want them in. They'd get through the graft just as much as other second rowers who do not have the equivalent ball handling skills. I don't have stats to hand for all 3 of them. But I know for O Loughlin off past readings he is always in the top for tackle counts and metres. I'm sure Farrell and Sculthorpe would be the same.

I did not think the bench was relevant to the point I was trying to make. I was just trying to highlight the structure I would have in an RL side. Putting it in a X111 would make it easier to visualize.

not to be critical but if briers could have adapted as you say saints wouldnt have sold him.....

I like your approach but it seems like too many chiefs and not enough indians.....
they would get in each others way with only two willing to make the hard yards.......

also the modern game is a team of 17 with 13 on the pitch at any one time, you could then put farrell on the bench as your utility player.....

Edited by yipyee, 07 April 2014 - 11:43 PM.

#12 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:42 PM

Sculthorpe easily.

#13 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

Scully filled in at half back and kicked goals, he was a more rounded player, the better question would be farrell or scully..... but a neutral answer would not be found on this site.....

I'm neutral. It was Sculthorpe :tongue:

#14 The Scott

The Scott
  • Banned
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:38 AM

Ridiculous question.

O'Loughlin is a good player.

Sculthorpe was a great and will rightly take his place amongst the legends of the game. O'Loughlin won't.

#15 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:20 AM

Sculthorpe.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

Paul Sculthorpe.

Although he is one of my favourite players in SL history.

(I waited for aaaages for the Saints coach at Valley Parade in 2002 so he could sign my RLW with him on the cover.)

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

not to be critical but if briers could have adapted as you say saints wouldnt have sold him.....

I'm not sure we did?  I think he left as he was unhappy at being dropped.

In answer to the OP's question: Scully.

#18 king street tiger

king street tiger
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

How can you even compare the 2 scully was 6 times better player fact. Cas fan

#19 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

I don't get how comparing two players who were/are predominently loose forwards is a ridiculous thing to do.

For me O'Loughlin edges it...

#20 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

Sculthorpe by a distance. O'Loughlin is a great player but Sculthorpe is amongst the most complete players that I've ever seen. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users