Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sean O'Loughlin v Paul Sculthorpe - which one was better?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

not to be critical but if briers could have adapted as you say saints wouldnt have sold him.....

I like your approach but it seems like too many chiefs and not enough indians.....
they would get in each others way with only two willing to make the hard yards.......

also the modern game is a team of 17 with 13 on the pitch at any one time, you could then put farrell on the bench as your utility player.....

I don't really agree with much of your post tbh. Briers has played stand off for a long time - outside of out and out scrum halves like Myler, Johns, Wood, Langer - he is a stand off, wore the number 6 for God knows how long too. 

In terms of the back row that he picked I think that you could definitely work with that, as at different stages of their careers they did all play those positions I think. It would need strong management and clearly defined roles, but Sculthorpe and Farrell could easily play 2nd row and be brilliant at it.

On the OP's question, I'd probably go for O'Loughlin. I'm a big fan of players who do the little things right, it's how Morley played during his time at Warrington rather than being a dynamic player from earlier in his career, but I think he does more right than Sculthorpe did.

#22 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

I think it shows how far Lockers' stock has risen that he is now compared with Sculthorpe. There was a time he came second to Jamie Langley in a poll on here...

If we are comparing the 2 players at their best, Sculthorpe would be the better player. He won us games against the Aussies. But, for longevity, courage, and making absolutely the most of his talent, Lockers will have given as much to his club by the time he is through than Sculthorpe gave to his clubs.

#23 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

I think Lockers is a brilliant player but would still pick Sculthorpe, at his best I can't think of a better British loose forward that I have seen play, Farrel included

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#24 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

Given how panface has p###ed all over our game, both Lockers and Sculthorpe would get my vote over him.

#25 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

On their best days, I'd go with Sculthorpe. Over the course of their careers though, I'd lean towards O'Loughlin.

#26 The Scott

The Scott
  • Banned
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

Over the course of their careers, you'd lean towards O'Loughlin ?!?!

You lot are insane. Anybody that would take O'Loughlin over Sculthorpe need their heads testing. O'Loughlin is good but Paul Sculthorpe he is not.

#27 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Next weeks match up Martin Offiah versus Phil Ford.

#28 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

I have a great deal of respect and admiration for SOL but Sculthorpe was better.

The acid test for me is games Vs Australia where Sculthorpe was almost always prominent and even dominant compared to his opposite number in the Australian team.

#29 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

You lot are insane. Anybody that would take O'Loughlin over Sculthorpe need their heads testing. O'Loughlin is good but Paul Sculthorpe he is not.

It's not insane at all. The last 4 years have seen Lockers come into his own in a glorious era for our great club. He was also central to holding together and driving on some shocking Wigan teams in the early part of his career. It is not Ford against Offiah - now that would be insane.

#30 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

Yep, I would. O'Loughlin has been good to great in most matches I've seen him play. Sculthorpe probably had more great matches but I also remember him having plenty of stinkers. This was mainly the injury ravaged Sculthorpe late in his career so maybe unfair to him but that's why I gave the proviso 'over the course of their careers'. O'Loughlin of course also seems injury riddled over this and last season but he still looks Wigan's best player when he does make it onto the pitch.

Another plus point in O'Loughlin's favour is that his supporting cast last year was nowhere near comparable to the help Sculthorpe had when Saints were in their pomp but he still led Wigan to the double.

#31 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

I love O'Loughlin and as has been said by others, he offers a lot of less tangible qualities to his team, but for me Sculthorpe was in a different class.

O'Loughlin has never really stood out at international level whereas at times Sculthorpe has really taken it to the Aussies almost single-handedly. I will also never forget the way a teenage Paul Sculthorpe came in to the Warrington team and became our leader and inspiration from a very young age. Sculthorpe had it all and overall I think he was a better ball carrier, passer and kicker than O'Loughlin whilst being an equally tough defender. It's hard to think of anything negative at all to say about Scully apart from perhaps his injury record towards the back of his career was frustrating, and robbed him of further international caps.

#32 Chris22

Chris22
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Sculthorpe by an enourmous margin. His 2001 and 2002 seasons were unbelievable, if injuries didn't take there toll he would be held in far higher regard than he already is.

Edited by Chris22, 08 April 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#33 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Sculthorpe by an enourmous margin. His 2001 and 2002 seasons were unbelievable, if injuries didn't take there toll he would be held in far higher regard than he already is.

You missed off if he were a Yorkshire man playing for a Yorkshire club

#34 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

It's not insane at all. The last 4 years have seen Lockers come into his own in a glorious era for our great club. He was also central to holding together and driving on some shocking Wigan teams in the early part of his career. It is not Ford against Offiah - now that would be insane.

Apart from when Ford ran from the bottom corner of the Headingley pitou diagonally to the opposite corner to put of Offiah into touch.Anyway back on topic,Sculthorpe.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 08 April 2014 - 11:50 AM.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#35 The Scott

The Scott
  • Banned
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Yep, I would. O'Loughlin has been good to great in most matches I've seen him play. Sculthorpe probably had more great matches but I also remember him having plenty of stinkers. This was mainly the injury ravaged Sculthorpe late in his career so maybe unfair to him but that's why I gave the proviso 'over the course of their careers'. O'Loughlin of course also seems injury riddled over this and last season but he still looks Wigan's best player when he does make it onto the pitch.

Another plus point in O'Loughlin's favour is that his supporting cast last year was nowhere near comparable to the help Sculthorpe had when Saints were in their pomp but he still led Wigan to the double.

I watched Sculthorpe home and away from his joining Saints to his retirement. You could call his performances a lot of things but 'stinkers' isn't one of them. He was head and shoulders above everything in Super League throughout his career. He was nearly always in our best 3 players on the field and was more important to Saints than either Long or Cunningham. The injury ravaged Sculthorpe towards the end barely played and it was a real shame but I'll never forget his return on one leg to beat Brisbane at Bolton. The man was a colossus. A leader with a better running and passing game than O'Loughlin. He had an underrated kicking game as well. He could do the lot and is a genuine great of the game. I'm sorry but O'Loughlin isn't.

O'Loughlin is a fine player and it's no slant on him saying he isn't anywhere near as good as Scully was. Very few have been. I really rate O'Loughlin and he's huge to that Wigan team. But Sculthorpe was another level up totally. Anybody putting them together have totally forgotten just how good Sculthorpe was, either in the second row, at loose forward or at stand off where he was the best player on the field against the Australians.

#36 CiderWire

CiderWire
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

I can only comment on the games where I've seen these two perform and I believe the spoils and accolades must go to Sculthorpe. SOL is a fantastic player but I feel that Scully brought more vision and creativity to the role of Loose Forward  whilst never compromising in the tackling and running department.

#37 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Everyone will have opinions on this, with many people swayed by their own club loyalties. For me 2 things need to stand out about a player when comparing them.

1. How do they do against the very best. Sculthorpe has won games at international level for both GB and Saints.

2. How are they viewed by the best players in the world. For me the best player in the last 20 years is Darren Lockyer and when asked who is the best British player he has played against said Paul Sculthorpe.  If its good enough for Darren its good enough for me.

Lockers is a great domestic player and has performed brilliantly for Wigan and has been the first name on their teamsheet for the last 5 years. But Scully was a great at international level and until Lockers can be that then he is not even in the same league.

#38 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

If Ellery Hanley was available you wouldn't pick either of them...............

Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#39 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

O'Loughlin has on occasion dragged up the standard of Wigan to compete with the best in Super League.  Sculthorpe on occasion did the same thing for GB against Australia.  Even when GB were useless, Sculthorpe still managed to stand out.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#40 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

If Ellery Hanley was available you wouldn't pick either of them...............

Now, you'd be truly insane to disagree with that. The best of the best. Hanley, then daylight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users