Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Scoreboard update

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

Hi all, just an update on the scoreboard, which James Taylor and I are operating.

We struggled quite a lot with it in the early weeks, which may have been evident to those of you in the stands, and it took us a couple of runs to identify the issue.

Our laptop and software communicate with the scoreboard the same way a laptop communicates with a wireless internet hub. The software was running incredibly slow and constantly crashing, and we eventually discovered that this was due to extremely low internet signal (1mb/s!) being picked up by the laptop. We tried moving closer to the scoreboard (in the end box) and various other things like reducing the image quality and taking all the optional add-ons off, but nothing seemed to work.

We eventually realised that the issue was with the signal booster supplied by the company, which wasn't working. So last week, James very kindly gave up his own time during the week to drive down to the stadium and meet with the Scoreboard company technicians, who brought up a new signal booster, which works!

On Friday, we were running at 54mb/s (54x the speed we had before!) and hopefully those of you in attendance will have noticed the difference.

Hopefully this will explain the delay in updating the score at recent home matches, and any errors you may have picked up on, but with our new signal booster these issues will be a thing of the past.

We are now in a position to stop and start the clock, though please note that the scoreboard clock should never be interpreted as the official time (that remains the role of the timekeeper), display adverts, name try and goal scorers, and we've even been experimenting with video content.

We're also looking at putting 'Sub on, Sub off' info up, scores from other Championship matches in progress, and maybe even Tweets from fans pre-match and half-time.

Having said all that, we want to offer a largely disruption and distraction free service while play is in progress.

I'm also putting together a schedule which will allow local companies to buy 'air time' pre-match and at half-time, and we're also figuring out a way to include player sponsors on screen (though the software is fairly rigid in some areas).

We want to be accurate, informative and an enhancement of the on-field action, without seeking to dominate or distract at any stage. And, as mentioned, there is potential for us to make money for the club through the sale of advertising space... so there's plenty of untapped potential!

Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions.

Cheers!

Tom

Edited by Tom Coates, 08 April 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#2 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

Also, what does everyone think to the idea of calling it 'THE STEVOTRON'?

#3 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

It was 1kbps, not even a mb!

As Tom states, the software is very ridgid in its setup so lots of things may not be possible.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

#4 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

Good work lads :)

#5 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

Hi all, just an update on the scoreboard, which James Taylor and I are operating.

We struggled quite a lot with it in the early weeks, which may have been evident to those of you in the stands, and it took us a couple of runs to identify the issue.

Our laptop and software communicate with the scoreboard the same way a laptop communicates with a wireless internet hub. The software was running incredibly slow and constantly crashing, and we eventually discovered that this was due to extremely low internet signal (1mb/s!) being picked up by the laptop. We tried moving closer to the scoreboard (in the end box) and various other things like reducing the image quality and taking all the optional add-ons off, but nothing seemed to work.

We eventually realised that the issue was with the signal booster supplied by the company, which wasn't working. So last week, James very kindly gave up his own time during the week to drive down to the stadium and meet with the Scoreboard company technicians, who brought up a new signal booster, which works!

On Friday, we were running at 54mb/s (54x the speed we had before!) and hopefully those of you in attendance will have noticed the difference.

Hopefully this will explain the delay in updating the score at recent home matches, and any errors you may have picked up on, but with our new signal booster these issues will be a thing of the past.

We are now in a position to stop and start the clock, though please note that the scoreboard clock should never be interpreted as the official time (that remains the role of the timekeeper), display adverts, name try and goal scorers, and we've even been experimenting with video content.

We're also looking at putting 'Sub on, Sub off' info up, scores from other Championship matches in progress, and maybe even Tweets from fans pre-match and half-time.

Having said all that, we want to offer a largely disruption and distraction free service while play is in progress.

I'm also putting together a schedule which will allow local companies to buy 'air time' pre-match and at half-time, and we're also figuring out a way to include player sponsors on screen (though the software is fairly rigid in some areas).

We want to be accurate, informative and an enhancement of the on-field action, without seeking to dominate or distract at any stage. And, as mentioned, there is potential for us to make money for the club through the sale of advertising space... so there's plenty of untapped potential!

Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions.

Cheers!

Tom

Just a faint hope, but could the team names be re-transmitted just after kick off ? I only ask, because I tend to time the end of my pre-match pint with the kick off time - and of course I can go to the end of the ground towards which the lads are playing without inconveniencing anybody. Also it would help those held up on route. If it's not possible, I guess I'll live with it.

#6 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hi mate! It is possible, and we'll do it. Good idea! We also run the teams at half-time, but reaching the late arrivals is important too.

#7 Bolton Ram

Bolton Ram
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

Hi Tom,

I was just wondering about the club names on the scoreboard, I hear people are not happy that Dewsbury is shown in Blue and the opposition is in Yellow.

Can we change it shows Dewsbury in Red or even Amber and the opposition in Blue.

#8 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

The current software version does not allow us to change the colours of the team names. There's been talk of a software update from our suppliers, however, and maybe that will allow us to change the colours!

#9 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Tom, are you saying you run the scoreboard from up in the main stand, its a very decent addition to the ground

#10 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

I still find it hard to believe we have an electronic scoreboard. Think it looks great with the new terrace.

#11 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

We do indeed run it from the control room in the main stand.

#12 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

Like Wakefield Ram, I am still finding it hard to believe it too. I think I would be like a kid with a new toy, were I to be operating the equipment. It's marvellous. I am sure improvements will be made as we progress.
Keep up the excellent work you two.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#13 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

We are like two kids sharing a new toy!

Please keep the feedback coming, and we'll try and improve the service as the season progresses.

#14 ricochet

ricochet
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

Can you ensure that our score is always higher than that of the visiting team, or would that be considered as cheating? :onthequiet:

Ricochet!

#15 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

Player sponsors would be great, but would be even better if the player I sponsored was back in the team!

I hereby start the Bring Back Louis Sherriff campaign.

#16 Netherton Ram

Netherton Ram
  • Coach
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Player sponsors would be great, but would be even better if the player I sponsored was back in the team!

I hereby start the Bring Back Louis Sherriff campaign.

We would also like to start showing the sponsor for each player. At the moment all we can show is what you see now. This being the club logo, player picture, squad number and player name.

The only way, at this time, that we can show the substitutes are to have those player names in brackets.

The speed that the teams are shown is also fixed. So they cannot be speeded up or slowed down. It would be nice if we could have the announcer run through the teams at the same time the players appear. But, the speed is too slow to do that at the moment.

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

We would also like to start showing the sponsor for each player. At the moment all we can show is what you see now. This being the club logo, player picture, squad number and player name.

The only way, at this time, that we can show the substitutes are to have those player names in brackets.

The speed that the teams are shown is also fixed. So they cannot be speeded up or slowed down. It would be nice if we could have the announcer run through the teams at the same time the players appear. But, the speed is too slow to do that at the moment.

The software or the announcer?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

The software or the announcer?

Bit harsh that BSJ - for god's sake don't have GFDU taking his bat and ball home - you know the alternative :shout: .

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

Bit harsh that BSJ - for god's sake don't have GFDU taking his bat and ball home - you know the alternative :shout: .

:tongue: :tongue:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 ricochet

ricochet
  • Players
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Got to keep Farrow off the mic. Embarrassing aint the word. At least Keith talks sense when he opens it.

Ricochet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users