Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sheffield game!

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

Officials Workington Town v Sheffield Eagles!
Ref: P Brooke
Touch J: S Daniel
Touch J: C Dean
Reserve: N Bennett
M Com: C Hodgson

#2 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

Makes you think about our dr with WIGAN when you see that HOPKINS GOING ON LOAN TO LEIGH AFTER BEEN TO US, AND TOMKINS GOING ON LOAN TO SALFORD,

#3 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

Mmmm . Does Harris going to Salford mean he'll use his Wigan connections there ?? How many players have they got ...?

Edited by DavidM, 08 April 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#4 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

I see charnleys out for 2 months so that's another back who will have to start for Wigan. The talent pool available is getting less and less.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#5 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

Nice squad put together by Sheffield, now used to playing on a tight pitch after their recent ground move:
1 Quentin Laulu-Togagae.FB SO
2 Scott Turner. CE WG FB
3 Menzie Yere. CE
4 Loto Tagaloa. CE - signed from Hawaii Chiefs Dec 2013
5 Misi Taulapapa. WG CE
6 Pat Walker. SO
7 Dominic Brambani. SH
8 Eddie Battye. PR
9 Andrew Henderson. HK
10 Mitch Stringer (capt). PR
11 Michael Knowles. LF SR
12 Peter Green. SR
13 Joe Hirst. LF PR
14 James Davey. HK
15 Matt Garside. SR CE
16 Duane Straugheir. SR CE
17 Ben Jones. PR - signed from Dewsbury Oct 2013
18 Tom Lillycrop PR - signed from Dewsbury March 2014
19 Cory Aston. SH
20 Connor Scott. SR
21 Jack Blagbrough. PR- signed from Huddersfield Nov 2013
22 Will Hope. SR LF - 1 Year Loan from Salford Feb 2014
23 Jon Ford. WG CE - 1 Year Loan from Salford Feb 2014
24 Gareth Owen HK - 1 Year Loan Salford Feb 2014
26 Jordan Burke. UB - 1 Month Loan from Warrington March 2014
28 Tom Ashton. CE SR
29 Alex Palmer. SR
30 Shaun Squires. PR - signed from Shaw Cross Sharks March 2014
Peter Aspinall SR - 1 Month Loan Huddersfield April 2014

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Did you have to post that !!!!!!!!

#7 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

Sorry David, I've even frightened myself!

#8 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Makes you think about our dr with WIGAN when you see that HOPKINS GOING ON LOAN TO LEIGH AFTER BEEN TO US, AND TOMKINS GOING ON LOAN TO SALFORD,

Wane is on record that if his lads have to go out on loan then he'd prefer them to go to other SL clubs to continue in a full time environment. Which means we are going to get players needing match fitness and young lads who are still developing.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

Ahem , back lines look evenly matched .... How the other half live eh ? If I remember rightly that guy from the USA was a total battleship for them in the WC ...

Edited by DavidM, 08 April 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#10 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

Let's just remember that last year we were well ahead of them at half-time and then lost by 4 points.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#11 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

I was going to go on Sunday (again) Keith. But to be honest I am sick of watching workington teams getting beat this year!

#12 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

Shame ell isn't playing. Might of been interesting to see if old quentin would go anywhere near him. Realistically it could be a heavy defeat.

#13 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

I was going to go on Sunday (again) Keith. But to be honest I am sick of watching workington teams getting beat this year!

Well I'm going to stick my neck out this week and say we will beat them. I think our coach now knows where to play our players to get the best out of them and as long as our defence is good we can do it.

I had a look on the Haven forum and one or two were laughing at Logan Tomkins going on loan to Salford, but is that any different to Ade gardner going on loan at HKR? The SL clubs will send their players to where they think they will get more SL standard game time.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#14 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Interesting squad selection by Wigan for Friday night:
25 John Bateman, 1 Matty Bowen, 32 Joe Burgess, 24 Tony Clubb, 16 Gil Dudson, 5 Anthony Gelling, 3 Darrell Goulding, 6 Blake Green, 14 Jack Hughes, 28 Jordan James, 9 Michael McIlorum, 13 Sean O'Loughlin, 22 Eddy Pettybourne, 19 Sam Powell, 23 Dan Sarginson, 37 Ryan Sutton, 8 Scott Taylor, 4 Iain Thornley, 27 George Williams.

I was sure Sam Powell might have been available to us for at least one game.
Apart from Dudson and James also being included, I note that the talented academy prop Ryan Sutton also made the squad.
I know the Club are resting players for the Easter battles ahead, but perhaps Ryan Hampshire might be available to us this weekend?

Edited by Supporter, 09 April 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#15 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

So can none of that 19 come on Sunday ... Even if they don't make the 17 . Is that it ?

#16 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

So can none of that 19 come on Sunday ... Even if they don't make the 17 . Is that it ?

I thought if they were the 18th or 19th man they could still come, I'm sure Dudson and James did for Dewsbury

#17 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

They did indeed Scott, but the format of this particular squad looks as though it intends to make use of at least one of these props if not both.

#18 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

Can't see Gelling to this week with Charnley being out for 2 months

#19 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

I would be very shocked if we didn't get two props off them, but the more they loan out the less they can offer to us. I've said it for weeks that Hampshire would bring a lot to our side and can't understand why he isn't one of the 1st we ask for.

#20 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

Also with the two games over Easter I think well struggle to get anyone other than the likes of tierney and Murphy up for the haven game. Although I think that might be a good thing as the local lads always perform to a top level against them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users