Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sheffield game!

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#121 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Do the people if workington actually care about
Their sporting clubs?

Some how I don't think they do. Reds and town couldn't manage 700 between them this weekend.

#122 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Must be frustrating for the people working to keep the clubs going.

#123 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Unfortunately I don't think so either mate. Really disappointing. People just won't pay good money to watch what's on offer.
Anybody know what sort of attendances the comets attract these days?

#124 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

Shame . And that ,generally , was a good quality game today and a fine watch

#125 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Attendance very poor today, going by sky it was 451 and that only beat Swintons  by 1, the Eagles never bring many but that has got to be the seasons lowest so far and a concern to the board. Think Fridays will be about 710. What can be done to improve things, and don't say the obvious ( win games !)

As I said in an earlier post I think the soccer match on TV had a big part to play in our low crowd. Go on Facebook or Twitter and see the numbers of lads on there talking about the soccer match. It was virtually the title decider. I know a few who missed our match today to watch the soccer. How do we improve the crowd? Well today a different kick-off time might have got a few more in, especially if we could have shown the soccer match in the bar before our game!!!

Losing at home to Keighley and our loss at Hunslet last week in the cup will also have put some off, especially with that bitter cold wind that we had today. The low crowds are obviously a big worry for the board and that is something we should all take in to consideration when we are asking for player signings, etc, with a budget in place.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#126 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 805 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

Unlucky yesterday, have to say that was one of the worst games of Championship rugby I have ever seen though, Sheffield were appalling at times and the ref was clueless for both teams

why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#127 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

I only went yesterday because Kieth T said we would win ;) but if Town keep showing that sort of spirit I'll keep going. Thought Sheffield's defence won it for them especially goal line whereas we conceded a couple of soft tries on our own. Some silly penalties to give momentum back to the Eagles also cost us. I'm not sure we deserved to win BUT we could well have won it as we could have and should have in all our home matches this season! Well stuck in the mire at present but don't need a lot to start getting the right side of these results.

#128 Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

I haven't posted anything on here for far too long.....but have read the comments very often.

I've been reading with interest about the match yesterday v Sheffield.

First thing is to say it was a much improved performance by Town, certainly much better than the effort I witnessed at Dewsbury.

But why do so many of you still prefer to blame the ref for many of Towns failings?

Two tries were disallowed for forward passes...and to be honest they were correctly ruled forward.

Yes a couple of dubious other decisions did cause concern, but it's something most teams have to contend with isn't it?

And if a pass, especially when trying to complete a massive overlap as yesterday, is correctly delivered no ref can rule it out.

Towns commitment though does give hope for future games, and I think they can do the biz on Good Friday.

I also heard the Town coach on the radio.

And to be honest I felt a bit embarrassed for my mate John Walsh.

Mr Veivers had a big dig at the referee. So Walshy then attempted to continue the conversation in that vein - only for what, I personally thought, became a hot potato for him when he received a sort of ticking off.

There was a pregnant pause until John found an alternative question, and I was as confused as Walshy seemed to be.

Although to compare Phil with the outright 'cheeky boy' at Whitehaven, as one pundit has done on this string, is nothing short of insulting to Towns leader.

And it's good to see KeithT as ever talking sense....one fan even claimed he only attended the match yesterday after reading Keiths' comments, keep it up Mr T maybe more will get down to DP.

#129 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

I agree . The ref was terrible - but there all varying degrees of bad at this level . You know that . It can't be the ref every week - we have to be careful we don't make ourselves feel better laying everything on him , as it's an easy out but doesn't attend to the main problem . Our execution , precision , zip and quality is lacking when we have teams ready for the kill . And to often we go sideways rather than direct , and ponderously at that .We can't give the final blow - it happens repeatedly . We should have won all three home games . Even giving the official a chance to blow up is poor execution . The final one was laughable . 5 men , with the jukebox standing on the line totally still , and we throw a long forward pass ( it was ) ?? Tierney could have ran , got it through hands or executed the pass sharper . I think we'd have won if we'd nailed that . Don't give these guys a chance to shaft you - we have the territory and opportunity , clear ones to , to take officials well out of it time in time out ... And didn't we fail again to do anything against 12 men ?? And even then , the ref doesn't defend our line . PV should only concentrate on these things .Teams in all sports have more grudges against the ref when they're not very good and losing .

Edited by DavidM, 14 April 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#130 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

I still think carter is wasted on the wing. It baffled me why Murphy started at full back and him on the wing rather than the other way around.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#131 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

I still think carter is wasted on the wing. It baffled me why Murphy started at full back and him on the wing rather than the other way around.

Thought Murphy played well yesterday

#132 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

Murphy did play well.
Carter is wasted on the wing, he ended up taking taps and driving the ball into their pack.
Ref didn't lose the game for us, but I hate it when they pick and choose when to give pens for the same offence.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#133 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

Murphy is proving pretty good . Whether he's the best option at fullback or not is a fair debate , but he has certainly been better since he's moved there . And if carter is on the wing at least get him in the wing outside gelling if he's there . He looked a bit lost in his role yesterday and couldn't make an impact , while Mossop was given a field day . That wing spot is gonna be vital if gelling hangs about . He could be a game breaker on Friday . Where was Red ? Thinking about that chip from kris - a guy that size , moving at pace , under pressure , thinking fast and doin a totally alien skill , and executing it perfectly , well that is the play of the year so far. If you saw that on telly you'd be eulogising over it for ages . Great stuff big fella

Edited by DavidM, 14 April 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#134 RobinHoodHawk

RobinHoodHawk
  • Coach
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

I agree . The ref was terrible - but there all varying degrees of bad at this level . You know that . It can't be the ref every week - we have to be careful we don't make ourselves feel better laying everything on him , as it's an easy out but doesn't attend to the main problem . Our execution , precision , zip and quality is lacking when we have teams ready for the kill . And to often we go sideways rather than direct , and ponderously at that .We can't give the final blow - it happens repeatedly . We should have won all three home games . Even giving the official a chance to blow up is poor execution . The final one was laughable . 5 men , with the jukebox standing on the line totally still , and we throw a long forward pass ( it was ) ?? Tierney could have ran , got it through hands or executed the pass sharper . I think we'd have won if we'd nailed that . Don't give these guys a chance to shaft you - we have the territory and opportunity , clear ones to , to take officials well out of it time in time out ... And didn't we fail again to do anything against 12 men ?? And even then , the ref doesn't defend our line . PV should only concentrate on these things .Teams in all sports have more grudges against the ref when they're not very good and losing .

There is a lot of common sense in this post.

Not a great game under harsh conditions but Worky have enough in their armoury to upset a few teams.

You need to lay off the refs - he was as bad for both teams and (like the opposition) you can only play what is in front of you.

Eagles have yet to click this season and will eventually hit form to cause some real damage.

The ref was up with the play most of the time and did pick up most of the contentious issues (including taking three Eagles defenders out on one occasion).

The forward passes were forward and he was on the spot to pick them up.

Phil Veivers is certainly a thinking man and I would predict he will soon have you playing to your strengths and focussing. Use the usual large Cumbria pack to better effect and settle your half backs as you have good three quarters and a devastating full back.

Really liked your No 11 - picked his moments supremely well, Tierney looked like he needed time to settle at six and your pack is hardworking. More discipline needed as the ref had obviously continuously pulled you for the same thing and you did not sort it out.

Trophies are never won by indisciplined teams .

Take my tip - ignore the ref - he will get it wrong for both teams - enjoy the rugby and concentrate on watching your own team eh??

#135 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

Thought Murphy played well yesterday

I'm not saying he didn't, but is he as good as Brett there? Nope.

#136 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

I'm not saying he didn't, but is he as good as Brett there? Nope.

Murphy in his games at town, he's best have been at full back

#137 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

Murphy in his games at town, he's best have been at full back

again I'm not disputing that, as he done very little on the wing. But Brett offers far more in attack and we need our best attacking players in the middle of the park not stuck on the wing.but to give Murphy credit he is getting better with every game, I just personally prefer carter there.

Edited by wonky, 14 April 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#138 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Robin , the day we finally settle our halfbacks and are content we'll all be happy !!!

#139 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

Chrome Dome, nice to see you posting again, it's been a long time, and Oneday just for you two I think Town will win every home game until the end of the season. That should do the trick, watch them crowds rise now.

I still believe that it was a game we could and should have won, like the Doncaster and Keighley games previously, but we have been the masters of our own downfall in all of them. In the first half hour I had the penalty count at about 7 - 2 in Eagles favour and these teams are too good without us giving them this sort of help. It did even up early in the second half but as others have said - don't give the ref the chance to penalise you.

I would persevere with Tierney at 6 or 7 for the time being as I did think the ball was moving out faster from the middle yesterday, unless that was the Gelling effect. The one area we were very poor was our kicking game. Time after time we kicked directly to the opposition players who never even had to move or bend, many times with little or no distance on the kicks. At least let's turn them around or make them bend to pick the ball up.

I saw improvement yesterday and if that continues we will not be in that bottom 5 at the end of the season.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#140 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

We played with 16 yesterday . Does PV think our amateur lads aren't up to it or ready for the level we need to get to? If Haney and Rory aren't here , we're relying on 17 men as championship ready

Edited by DavidM, 14 April 2014 - 01:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users