Widnes go for class

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

Widnes have appointed Brett Hodgson as a full time coach starting next season. As a player he looked like he had the attributes to make a good coach. He has been doing some consultancy work at Widnes and other clubs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/26936909

The Chemics seem to be moving in the right direction and building as a club.

#2 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Looks like a good signing for the Vikings staff. You'd expect he has plenty to pass on and having won pretty much everything bar a SL grand final, should get plenty of respect from the players. I would've thought Warrington would have looked to keep him on at the end of last season but with Lee Briers retiring at the same time, maybe they didn't want two players going straight from the first team to the back room.

Talking of Briers, I could have sworn I saw him sat in the Sydney Roosters dugout at one of the games earlier in the season. Can anyone confirm that?

#3 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

Happy with the progress the Vikings are making
[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#4 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Looks like a good signing for the Vikings staff. You'd expect he has plenty to pass on and having won pretty much everything bar a SL grand final, should get plenty of respect from the players. I would've thought Warrington would have looked to keep him on at the end of last season but with Lee Briers retiring at the same time, maybe they didn't want two players going straight from the first team to the back room.

Talking of Briers, I could have sworn I saw him sat in the Sydney Roosters dugout at one of the games earlier in the season. Can anyone confirm that?

He did spend three weeks in Australia visiting NRL clubs and coaches. I know he spent time at Manly and Newcastle. Not sure about Sydney, though.

#5 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Things looking good for Widnes at present,but unless they can improve their fan base can,t seem them challenging the top 4 or 5 unless they get other substantial backing.
As a matter of interest is their support mainly local or do they attract numbers from other areas.

#6 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Although the Vikings are progressing well, there is a huge glass ceiling they have above their heads.

#7 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

Widnes investing in developing their own coaches I see... ;)
Posted Image

#8 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

As a player he looked like he had the attributes to make a good coach.

Can you explain this?
It dont make sense
I walk my dog every night but it does'nt mean I'm a dog trainer

#9 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

He did spend three weeks in Australia visiting NRL clubs and coaches. I know he spent time at Manly and Newcastle. Not sure about Sydney, though.

Cheers for jogging my memory. Thinking back, he was sat next to one of the two Stewart brothers so it was Manly.

#10 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

Can you explain this?
It dont make sense
I walk my dog every night but it does'nt mean I'm a dog trainer

If a player is a good organiser, leads by example, rallies the troops when things are looking grim and is vocal, those could be seen as good attributes for being a coach. Doesn't mean he will be of course but you only find that out for sure by doing the job.

#11 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,579 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

He's an intelligent player who has years of experience and always struck me as the kind of guy who would be an asset on the coaching side of the game.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#12 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

Although the Vikings are progressing well, there is a huge glass ceiling they have above their heads.

Was it manufactured at Pilkingtons? :ph34r:

Back on topic- Brett Hodgson will be a brilliant addition to the Vikings. I'm upset that he isn't at the Wire but the comment on Briers staying on may have some weight. Total respect for Brett's courage and commitment plus his reading of the game is first class

Edited by wirecab, 09 April 2014 - 10:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users